lower cut and turn beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
right just had a quote from slamwerks to lower my bus , don t want to go mad as i want to use it for camping so not slamming it but standard right height just looks silly and its like steering a boat :lol:

so they suggested cut and turn beam and one spline at the rear

so before i decide , if you have this set up can you post up some pics so i can get an idea of what it looks like , i also intend to run 185/65/15 all round

lets see what you got

cheers

Hi ours is down one spline on the front and rear I will be running our bus on 185/70R14. I thik it looks ok , just depends on how low you want to go!

IMG00405-20111009-1739.jpg

Having had a cut and turned beam on my last bus, I'm not sure I'd go that route again. No adjustment, the ride was ok but not as good as stock, also on my cut and turned there was no way I could run 185/65/15 on the front, I had to run 175/55/15's to ensure clearance, changing the splines on the rear stiffens up the bus as well.

Personally I'd go Dropped spindles and horseshoe plates (my opinion only) as you still maintain the ride of a stock bus but sit lower (but not as low as a KnL beam) and is something you can fit yourself, saving you money.

This is cut and turn with one spline down at back, Ride seems ok to me (possibly a little stiffer than stock).

Riviera2pics005.jpg

Stock wheels

Mine is cut and turn with a one spline drop out back and it rides lovely ,the beam is greased to death and the ball joints are new so this all helps , tyres are 175/70/14

VWNW2010123.jpg

I did leave it slightly nose up on purpose as when you get in it levels out and they were slightly nose up at stock ;)

Ps ..The guys at slam werks know there stuff ;)

Chris

I was thinking of just front-beam adjusters just to take it down a tad, as I don't want anything as permanent as my lovely old beam being Cut & turned.
I might be able to get away with not touching the rear as to me it sits low even when the cab/front is loaded with me & the Mrs. :lol:

terrier man said:
I was thinking of just front-beam adjusters just to take it down a tad, as I don't want anything as permanent as my lovely old beam being Cut & turned.
I might be able to get away with not touching the rear as to me it sits low even when the cab/front is loaded with me & the Mrs. :lol:

Why not buy my '68-'69 beam, fit adjusters to that and keep your original beam stock? ;)

cut and turn is fine and i rear spine for mild lowering is fine, ride should be fine. If you want anything more then mild it needs doing properly for ride comfort :D

AGC said:
This is cut and turn with one spline down at back, Ride seems ok to me (possibly a little stiffer than stock).

Riviera2pics005.jpg

Stock wheels

this is the sort of stance i want not too lower as it grounds on campsites but not as high as stock standard ride height i think just look odd front end float up in the air :lol:

sparkywig said:
terrier man said:

Why not buy my '68-'69 beam, fit adjusters to that and keep your original beam stock? ;)

Your murder I'm confused :? as it is, one minuite its Carbs then its Discs now lowering, :roll: the Carbs will have to wait as the Bus is going well at the mo.
I don't really think I can afford the luxury of two beams so thanks for the offer Si the one on the van will have to do as the Disc-Brakes are high on the list.
It's very tempting tho. :?

sparkywig said:
Buy them all, it's only money. :D

:lol: :lol: I know but you have to suffer :shock: it's a bit like learning the guitar they always give you a shite one :x with a high action that makes your fingers bleed then you pick up a Gibson Les Paul & you thinks why the fook didn't I have this in the first place, because I'm bloody skint :lol: expecting a bonus end of March although you might think it I'm not a Merchant Banker. :lol: ;)

Latest posts