Lowering my 1969MY Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piggy

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am looking into lowering my 1969 Westfalia pop top enough to get it into my garage. I am keen to keep the original 14inch steels and tyres in place to maintain a relatively stock look, although lowerthe bus by around 2.5 inches. At the rear I will most likely drop by one spline.

However, to acheive a similar/equivalent drop at the front from my research so far I can see my two viable options being: -

1) Weld in adjusters to the front beam.
2) Fit 2.5inch Drop spindles.

My preferred route is to fit the drop spindles as it means I don't have to start welding bits onto the beam but would be really interested to know everyones thoughts (and pics of your buses before and after lowering) and also associated costs. Also, I have heard that drop spindles usually increase your front track width by 20mm (10mm per side). I assume I might have to get lower profile front tyres (currently 185 80 r14) to avoid any possible touches to bodywork on maximium suspension travel??

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Mine lowered 1 spline and about 3" at the front, used the Red 9 kit, see my gallery link,

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11772&start=40
100_0838.jpg

Also as your close welcome to come and have a look.

Agree with Uber, Red9 would be my choice, no welding, no added track due to welded spindles and no removing the beam! also the added benefit of adjustable height due to the coil overs.

Latest posts