Lowering - Now driving crap - help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you're not running a narrowed beam then you could get away with it = but for ease Iwould suggest having both sides adjustable - as it makes small tweaks easier - copper grease the threads on the rods.

Also the bump stops will be causing issues I think as the arms will be hitting them - I had to remove mine and the rotate them and reweld - not an easy task took ages

I fitted a pair of TH spindles last week but have yet to sort out my geometry so am unable to comment on it's drive quality yet. keep the bumpstops on as only the spindles have been raised so everything else is at the original height. You need to replace the fixed length track rod because both ends are facing in the same direction but you now need one end facing up and the other facing down. Have a look on the Transporterhaus website as there is a blow by blow account on how to fit them with some good photos.. Hope that helps.

TeamBrian said:
keep the bumpstops on as only the spindles have been raised so everything else is at the original height. .
Actually this is true sorry my comment was incorrect, only applies if you lower via beam adjusters. It will be geometry and possibly shocks. When I had them the only thing was the bottoming out which shocks fixed to a point (bug pack coil overs) if I hadn't been offered split beam cheap and moved to king and link I would have gone the gaz shocks route.

TeamBrian said:
You need to replace the fixed length track rod because both ends are facing in the same direction but you now need one end facing up and the other facing down.

yes this is the reason you will need two adjustable trock rods! but I think you got it the wrong way around. On the fixed one points up and one points down.

So you will need an adjustable one to get them points the same direction (up) as they will fit to underside of knuckle and underside of the steering arm

bluenose said:
TeamBrian said:
You need to replace the fixed length track rod because both ends are facing in the same direction but you now need one end facing up and the other facing down.

yes this is the reason you will need two adjustable trock rods! but I think you got it the wrong way around. On the fixed one points up and one points down.

So you will need an adjustable one to get them points the same direction (up) as they will fit to underside of knuckle and underside of the steering arm

Understood Bluenose! Cheers.

So basically all I need to do is

1) Purchase and adjustable track rod for the left side.

2) Fit left side track rod and make sure both track rod ends are pointing up.

3) Go and get the tracking re-checked

Does that sound pretty much correct?

Cheers everyone for your help it's massively appreciated!!

Nearly...
Don't forget to fit the right hand track rod in the same way (both joints facing up) ;)

LA Bay said:
bluenose said:
TeamBrian said:

4 ) set fire to two garages after doing the safe in

LA Bay said:
bluenose said:
TeamBrian said:

Sounds like you're sorted, track rods will make a big difference i'm sure. So what marvelous garage fitted these then?

gvee said:
Nearly...
Don't forget to fit the right hand track rod in the same way (both joints facing up) ;)

Sound as a pound. Both facing up! :D

So you will need an adjustable one to get them points the same direction (up) as they will fit to underside of knuckle and underside of the steering arm[/quote]

Cheers everyone for your help it's massively appreciated!![/quote]

Sounds like you're sorted, track rods will make a big difference i'm sure. So what marvelous garage fitted these then?[/quote]

Well, not sure I should say although to be honest the bus has felt like a death trap. I've rung one of them Sat, Sun and Mon and been ignored so far so we'll see what happens.

To be honest I'm even more dissapointed with the garage in Penkridge, totally ripped off. Miss my old mechanic who moved down south about 12 months ago!

I can't thank people enough for the help I've been given on here.

aspro said:
And how the ride? Any better?

Not sorted yet aspro but will definitely keep people updated! Hopefully get it sorted this week. Will love to have my bus back!!

Swapping the track rods aren't a terribly difficult job from memory.

Hopefully the garage might sort it out of goodwill but if not don't worry too much as it won't take you (or any other garage) much effort.

Well the owner of the garage rang me last night and is going to put it right for me, can't complain really.

Going to nip it in on Thursday. Had a really good frank chat and appreciated him taking the time of an evening to return my call and promise to sort it.

Wow! Fingers crossed for you man!

This is the very reason why I prefer to leave my bus in the hands of people who know their shit about this stuff, rather than attempt it myself.

-------------------------------

Own a Bay?.....Feel the love!!

You anywhere near the South East? James at Welling VeeDub just lowered my 1970 bus and it drives great. Feel the bumps a bit more, but a small price to pay imo! I'm sure he'd be able to give you some good advice.

Sounds like you got it just about right now. Sorry to come on to this thread so late but I ain`t had net access since the building works started here a week or so ago. A couple of more things to consider though :shock: :shock: I did exactly this and had my joints around the wrong way. Yes you do need two adjustables. Please keep an eye on your front tyres as running the way you had it (and me) chewed up the front tyres in much less than 500 miles on the inner edge as the wheels were set for track when the bus is stationary but because the geometry was wrong, as soon as you were rolling and hit any bump the tyres are getting a good scrubbing on the inner edge so watch the tyre wear as it`s only the inner edges and you may not notice it on the easily visible outside edges. If you run your hand over the tyres tread you will feel the `scrub ' in slightly raised edges on the tread pattern when moving your fingers (carefully) from side to side over the whole tread surface, so these particular tyres will have a very reduced life I`m afraid :cry: Before you set the tracking,, you must set the camber with the eccentric nut and that`s one on each side. Just set the camber for maximum so that the top of the wheel is poking out and the bottom of the wheel is pushed in, it`s the opposite to the rear where the top of the tyre is in and the bottom of the tyre is pushed out from the body, just like in the exagerated cartoon drawings of camper busses you see on T shirts and hoodies. This will still be within the spec. There is a little notch on the eccentric nut which you can highlight with tippex or similar, I can`t remember where this is supposed to be but from memory they end up facing each other under the bus, I may be wrong but there are several threads on here about it if I new how to search properly :roll: And yes,, the gas adjust thread sorted out all the other little bits and that was entitled something like `For The Attention of the Lowering Gurus' I know exatly what you mean about bump steer wander and bumps when braking was interesting as well especially if you were on a slight bend :? :roll: :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s all good mate :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Stueyd1975 said:
You anywhere near the South East? James at Welling VeeDub just lowered my 1970 bus and it drives great. Feel the bumps a bit more, but a small price to pay imo! I'm sure he'd be able to give you some good advice.

Cheers pal, unfortunately I'm in the sunny midlands :lol:

It's gone in to the garage today and had a really good chat with them and they have admitted it needs sorting.

The drive there on the country lanes today was somewhat scary.......Down to 25 at one point!

Fingers crossed..

ozziedog said:
Sounds like you got it just about right now. Sorry to come on to this thread so late but I ain`t had net access since the building works started here a week or so ago. A couple of more things to consider though :shock: :shock: I did exactly this and had my joints around the wrong way. Yes you do need two adjustables. Please keep an eye on your front tyres as running the way you had it (and me) chewed up the front tyres in much less than 500 miles on the inner edge as the wheels were set for track when the bus is stationary but because the geometry was wrong, as soon as you were rolling and hit any bump the tyres are getting a good scrubbing on the inner edge so watch the tyre wear as it`s only the inner edges and you may not notice it on the easily visible outside edges. If you run your hand over the tyres tread you will feel the `scrub ' in slightly raised edges on the tread pattern when moving your fingers (carefully) from side to side over the whole tread surface, so these particular tyres will have a very reduced life I`m afraid :cry: Before you set the tracking,, you must set the camber with the eccentric nut and that`s one on each side. Just set the camber for maximum so that the top of the wheel is poking out and the bottom of the wheel is pushed in, it`s the opposite to the rear where the top of the tyre is in and the bottom of the tyre is pushed out from the body, just like in the exagerated cartoon drawings of camper busses you see on T shirts and hoodies. This will still be within the spec. There is a little notch on the eccentric nut which you can highlight with tippex or similar, I can`t remember where this is supposed to be but from memory they end up facing each other under the bus, I may be wrong but there are several threads on here about it if I new how to search properly :roll: And yes,, the gas adjust thread sorted out all the other little bits and that was entitled something like `For The Attention of the Lowering Gurus' I know exatly what you mean about bump steer wander and bumps when braking was interesting as well especially if you were on a slight bend :? :roll: :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`s all good mate :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Nice one Ozziedog, much appreciated mate.

It's gone in today but will look at checking the tyres, thats a really good point!

Hopefully getting the bus back next week or the week after as they are also sorting the bubbling under the screen. Starting to get worse now so want to get that sorted. Might even get the wheels powder coated and some nice whitewalls rather than the inserts. Really can't wait to get it back and see how it drives 8)

Latest posts