Lowering - Now driving crap - help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neilswheels said:
Just fitted TH spindles to mine, stock ride at the back at present, so stupid rake, stock tyres, KYB Gas shocks (cos the bus came with them) drives a treat. Did you put the track rods on right, i.e upside down? The spindles have been moded to allow the track rods to be fitted from underneath to reduce the angle and therefor bump steer.
The experience i've had with low pro tyres on a bug and bus resulted in both vehicles 'tram lining' in truck grooves on motorways, but plenty of people use them.

And yes, TH have just finished there Caster adjustable beams, narrowed, raised tubes pretty trick looking, check their facebook page.

Cheers Neil, I got a garage to fit them for me, I'm not that confident to fit myself. Maybe I can get a couple of pics. I'm just concerned that is he put the 70 bus spindles on instead of the crossover ones then would this give me a problem? :?

r73 said:
I put dropped spindles on my bus and Ive got to say it drives lovely............................now that Ive taken them off and gone back to stock :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

totally unhelpful post, sorry, but I couldnt help it :roll:

i would say your steering geometry is still out, any problem you have may feel worse once lowered.
it sounds obvious but jack it up and give the wheels a wobble - check the ball joint nuts are tightened down fully and the trailing arms are firmly located in the beam as well - just in case..........................

Made me laugh :lol:

Thing is I have had a garage check this, I'll see if i can get some photo's up.

It definitely sounds like something is amiss, but it is something to bear in mind that in 99% of lowering cases you will 'feel' more things that the original suspension would have effectively covered up.

Tramlining, feeling more bumps in the road, stiffer ride etc will become more apparent to some extent.

But looking at the positives - your bus will look the nuts, and won't have you sliding off your seat when going round roundabouts!! 8)

Surprised you still have the bump stops fitted ! Have you checked these are not taking up the load when it's on the floor ? Did you notice where the camber nuts were positioned ?

Moseley said:
It definitely sounds like something is amiss, but it is something to bear in mind that in 99% of lowering cases you will 'feel' more things that the original suspension would have effectively covered up.

Tramlining, feeling more bumps in the road, stiffer ride etc will become more apparent to some extent.

But looking at the positives - your bus will look the nuts, and won't have you sliding off your seat when going round roundabouts!! 8)

It does look great 8) , really pleased, lower than i thought it would be tbh.

andyo11 said:
Surprised you still have the bump stops fitted ! Have you checked these are not taking up the load when it's on the floor ? Did you notice where the camber nuts were positioned ?

Going to crawl under my van and take some photo's on the ground....

Need to breathe in.

Sorry Andy but I'm not sure on the above mate, I am a total novice on this sort of thing.

Yep good photos, don't envy you lying on the gravel to get them!

I think your trackrod arms are on upside down at the spindle end?

Looking at:
how_to_ball_joint_15.JPG

the nut is on the top, yours is underneath I think :cry: (but it could be the camera angle).

Sparky.

Should have mentioned that pic is from the ThansporterHaus instructions on their website, where it says to flip over the joint to gain extra clearance for the chassis.

If they are at the wrong angle the bump steer will be horrid! Each bump will make that wheel steer (bump on the left, bus steers to the left).

If you're not sure, get it checked by a garage you've been recommended that can do this work.

Sparky.

Sparky said:
Should have mentioned that pic is from the ThansporterHaus instructions on their website, where it says to flip over the joint to gain extra clearance for the chassis.

If they are at the wrong angle the bump steer will be horrid! Each bump will make that wheel steer (bump on the left, bus steers to the left).

If you're not sure, get it checked by a garage you've been recommended that can do this work.

Sparky.

You've just totally described how if drives Sparky!!!......Definitely interested to know if this is the case which would explain it?

Garage 1 - Possibly first time fitting these

Garage 2 - Hadn't even heard of them

For reference

Transporterhaus Volkswagen Type 2 Bay Window Drop Spindle Fitting Instructions
http://transporterhaus.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely looks like the track rods have just been fitted back as they were (stock direction).
You have to flip the ends at the spindle when you put drop spindles on. Easy enough job for you to do from memory.

Hello
I've just been out to the garage to check on mine and it looks like your track rod ends have been fitted upside down ie the nut should be on the top
Hope this helps
Norm :D

gvee said:
For reference

Transporterhaus Volkswagen Type 2 Bay Window Drop Spindle Fitting Instructions
http://transporterhaus.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=103&Itemid=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Definitely looks like the track rods have just been fitted back as they were (stock direction).
You have to flip the ends at the spindle when you put drop spindles on. Easy enough job for you to do from memory.

Cheers gvee

Man, I'm hoping that will help with the drive! I don't mind the drive not being as good as before but at the moment is bloody ridiculous!

norm said:
Hello
I've just been out to the garage to check on mine and it looks like your track rod ends have been fitted upside down ie the nut should be on the top
Hope this helps
Norm :D

Cheers Norm....That's massively appreciated mate!

So that's 3 people confirming it's upside down then......

Unfortunately you'll need the tracking done again :roll: . I hope the track rods haven't also been hitting the chassis, best check if there are any marks on them near to the chassis. If all is OK it may be possible to get the place doing the tracking to flip them for you?

Good luck with this, I know what it's like to fall out of love with your bus.

Hope it gets better for you.

Sparky

Sparky said:
Unfortunately you'll need the tracking done again :roll: . I hope the track rods haven't also been hitting the chassis, best check if there are any marks on them near to the chassis. If all is OK it may be possible to get the place doing the tracking to flip them for you?

Good luck with this, I know what it's like to fall out of love with your bus.

Hope it gets better for you.

Sparky

Sparky you're a star pal!

Noted about getting the tracking done again, I'll have to check the track rods for any damage!

Fingers crossed it sorts it out, man here's hoping...Figures why the second garage didn't pick it up either as to them that is how it should be, not knowing how the Trans. spindles work....

Hi. just looking at your pics, seems track rods are deffo upside down.

Couple of other observations;
I'm not sure why this is but transporterhaus says you need to dump the fixed track rod and replace with an adjustable one. One of your track rods is fixed not adjustable.

Also I cannot see any thread at all of the ball joint sticking through the nuts, check how far into the nut that thread is going to confirm, it doesn't look right to me.

where did you get the dropped spindles? they don't look new?

bluenose said:
Hi. just looking at your pics, seems track rods are deffo upside down.

Couple of other observations;
I'm not sure why this is but transporterhaus says you need to dump the fixed track rod and replace with an adjustable one. One of your track rods is fixed not adjustable.

Also I cannot see any thread at all of the ball joint sticking through the nuts, check how far into the nut that thread is going to confirm, it doesn't look right to me.

where did you get the dropped spindles? they don't look new?

Cheers bluenose...Need to get the track rod swithced..also need to replace the left hand one?? with an adjustable one.

Not sure about the ball joint sticking through the nut will have to see.

The dropped spindles were bought in December 2012, not sure if they would look like this or if they are second hand? They've prob done 1,000 miles since fitting.

Latest posts