Lowering on Standard Tyres and Wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolHead

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it feasable to lower a Baywindow van and retain the original Standard size tyres and wheels?

If it is, what sort of drop could you attain at the front without encountering tyres fowling the arches and other scrubbing/contact problems?

At the moment my '72 Westy is stock height, without any sagging, so about a 3-4" gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch.

Thanks.

J :)

Plenty of folks lower their vans and retain stock wheels and tyres, personally I've always liked the way it looks!
I'm not sure how much lower you could go, but you've certainly got lots of room to maneuver!
You could always take a look through the gallery section and see if there's a van with the sort of height you're after...

;)

Tis is my bus lowered 2.5" on dropped spindles, stilll running stock tyres, although i have no idea what size they are, it does rub when i go over big bumps, but that maybe down to the 10mm extra offset caused by the welded spindles.
DSC00184.jpg

I've just lowered mine (well had it lowered) by about 3.5" at the front and 1 spline at the rear, scrubs on speed bumps but if i remember to slow down then its ok.
Pictures are in my gallery :D

Ours is about 4" down at the front on beam adjusters and 2 outer splines down at the back.
Get slight rubbing on the front arches on big speed bumps but otherwise no problems at all.

DSC00597.jpg

Matt.

So it looks like about 3" should be OK, and 4" max, remembering to slow down over speed bumps 8)

Had the tape measure out today , and there are about 8.5" of clearance between the lowest point of the van (sump/exhaust) and the ground, so room for the 4" drop there.

The top of the front tyre to the flat of the under arch/seat is about 5.5", so 3" still leaves a little bit of suspension movement.

Thanks, J :)

froggy said:
I've just lowered mine (well had it lowered) by about 3.5" at the front and 1 spline at the rear, scrubs on speed bumps but if i remember to slow down then its ok.
Pictures are in my gallery :D

That looks spot on 8)

camper-0299_preview.jpg

Is that still 3.5" allround, or have you dropped it further?

Thanks, J :).

Latest posts