Making a few bob off the bus...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
Was wondering if I could make the bus work for me to earn its keep by hiring it out for school proms. Has anyone done this and if so what sort of price is the going rate? I'd do the driving too so wouldn't need to worry about some melon-head revving the crap out of it!

I reckon there's at least 10 secondary schools I could offer this to in the local area.

Cheers
Monkey

Probably worth enquiring with a couple of local firms and seeing what kind of money they charge for hiring it out?

Couple that with looking at the cost of appropriate insurance and you should be able to work out your costs/viability. I'd imagine the insurance wouldn't be cheap but if you did enough jobs in it then it could be lucrative, there seems to be plenty of people hiring out old VW's so must be some brass in it!

What Georgev said, long as your bus is safe and you have Public Liability insurance then go wild!

Apparently you can use it for weddings, but school proms are another matter you need a full private hire and reward licence from your local authority.

As Newhippy said above, school proms are licensed private hire vehicles only and all the local authority legislation that goes with them.
The only government exceptions from private hire are weddings and funerals and there's currently a government paper reviewing whether these two should continue to be so.
Hope this helps...

Both of the above messages are correct. We ran a wedding business with our bay but never did proms as you're not covered if something goes wrong. A lot of people do it cash in hand and say it's for a mate which is up to you whether you want to go down that route but it's important to know you're on dodgy ground if the worst happens.

Weddings on the other hand are great fun!

Hi, I think you may also need a police background check if working with kids. Worth checking as I'm not 100% sure.

Latest posts