MOT Exemption for 40+ year old vehicles agreed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would probably need an inspection by the dvla before the registration documents are issued.
Apparently they only do it on a random basis but I know of a couple that have been looked at - purely for the no mot reason.
They were pre-1960 buses

Ok cheers.. I had a motorbike inspected once before it was registered, I open the garage he looked at it it checked vin and that was that about 2 minutes!

hogseye said:
Does it have to be roadworthy to get a registration number?

Mine had to be mot'd on the chassis number and then I could apply for registration documents once it was deemed roadworthy
With the new exemption I would think inspections via the DVLA or associates will become more commonplace to initially place a vehicle on the road.
I would imagine it will also be at this point where they would possibly look at the chassis, suspension and engine for originality and compile their report accordingly

I thought the law as that new imports had to be mot'd for the registration, age regardless, however i've since read there are many anecdotal cases of this not happening and the inspection just being the vin plate check.

Which does kind of support the concept that this is all about red tape removal and cost cutting rather than a hidden agenda to legislate us off the road!

Latest update.

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/uk-government-releases-historic-mot-rules-and-it-s-good-news-1

I think insurance companies will be quick to jump on the gravy train and put up the premiums by a substantial amount, as they always do. Where some folks get their insurance from quoting about £100 I don't know because I cannot get anywhere near to that.

Good news, and the fact all my modifications are covered by the following paragraph is even better. :coughcough :|

"However, modifications that improve 'the efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance' of a vehicle, such as uprated brakes or electronic ignition, will not prevent the vehicle from being granted VHI status."

hobbo said:
I think insurance companies will be quick to jump on the gravy train and put up the premiums by a substantial amount, as they always do. Where some folks get their insurance from quoting about £100 I don't know because I cannot get anywhere near to that.

Unless he was clueless, my renewal was lower than last year with JK insurance. I asked about their stance on the MOT situation and the guy said if it doesn't legally need one, the insurance company wont either. I didn't get this in writing though.

Ive read the latest note but still don't get the bit, where if you have no MOT on the tax renewal date. Does this mean I have to get it MOT'ed for a final time?

Ill be MOT'ing mine this year anyway as mot runs out end of Feb. Half the time the best weather is in april/may so I'm not wasting 2 months extra in storage, just to make it MOT exempt.

I am lucky enough to own a pre 60 bug and i have not had that MOT'd for years now, its basically stock bar the beam wheels and ride height, i know if the brakes and light work then job done! its a very basic car. my 68 bay though is a different storey! slammed big engine bla bla bla.. far more to go wrong so regardless of this 'law' i will be getting its mot every year as kid ride in this too! i think it will open up a massive can of worms with people who don't care about being safe and riding in death traps!

I always wondered what happens if the exempt car fails MOT on a single minor thing like small hole in exhaust.

And is then involved in a crash

Is that worse than having no MOT at all, like does MOT failure = car is unroadworthy so should not be on road regardless of fault

I guess you'd be hard pushed to produce a failed MOT document as proof that your steering and brakes were OK in a legal situation

slow-lane-Matt said:
I always wondered what happens if the exempt car fails MOT on a single minor thing like small hole in exhaust.

And is then involved in a crash

Is that worse than having no MOT at all, like does MOT failure = car is unroadworthy so should not be on road regardless of fault

I guess you'd be hard pushed to produce a failed MOT document as proof that your steering and brakes were OK in a legal situation

The important thing is it condition on the day of incident, if it’s serious enough to warrant an inspection then it’s MOT status won’t matter. What will matter is it’s compliance with the construction and use regulations , as always.

Latest posts