MOT Exemption for 40+ year old vehicles agreed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like MOT's are a thing of the past for EB owners now. Rolling 40 year exemption on the way now ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644412/government-response-to-exempting-vehicles-of-historical-interest-from-roadworthiness.pdf

OK if your VW is as it came from the factory.
If you're "substantially" modified the 8 point rule looks like it will come into play.

What constitutes a VHI (Vehicle of Historical Interest)?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644732/impact-assessment-review-of-vehicles-of-historical-interest-road-worthiness-testing.pdf

To be considered as a VHI the vehicle must have been first registered over 40 years ago and the following
components need to be of a design of which would have been fitted to that vehicle at the time of its
manufacture.
• the original unmodified chassis or body shell (including any sub frames) or,
• a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell (including any subframes) of the same specification as the
original
• suspension (front and back)
• steering assembly
• all axles
• transmission
• engine

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644962/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

Criterion 1
If a vehicle has a power to weight ratio of more than 15% in excess of its original
design, unless such a modification took place before 1988.

As soon as you modify it from stock, i.e. changing the wheels to alloys and running "car" tyres, lowering, narrowing the beam, upgrading or changing the engine, etc, it's no longer a VHI, so no exemption from MOT or tax.
Tubs and chassis notches on your bus. That will lead you to a Q-plate and BIVA inspection.
Upgrade or change the stock engine and increase the power to weight ratio by 15 per cent or more. Sorry no more historical status.
A simple engine number check will reveal if your VW has a later, or bigger engine fitted.

I know, don't declare anything. The requirement to annually declare your vehicle's tax exempt status will mean that if you tell fibs you run the risk of at best the call for a BIVA inspection if you get pulled. Even if you have declared to your insurers all the changes you've made.

Feck....

sparkywig said:
If you're "substantially" modified the 8 point rule looks like it will come into play.

Feck....

What constitutes "substantially" modified and at whose discretion is this do you know ?

Bobster said:
sparkywig said:

Feck....

What constitutes "substantially" modified and at whose discretion is this do you know ?

Sorry, I edited my previous post.

Sounds like a lot of people won't qualify then. I won't as the van is lowered but even if I did I think I would still want an annual check for peace of mind. No harm in getting an experienced pair of eyes to check for any issues!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hmmm - looking at that 8 point check, if you simply notch your chassis and fit red9 suspension a Q plate should be fitted?
Cant see that happening with all the modified buses about?

And all those slammed notched pre 60 splitties running big engines and later transmissions would be Q plated too'?
An unenforceable change in the law?

I think this is a bad thing to be honest and i`ll still get my old vehicles mot`d regardless if they qualify or not to be exempt.

An mot is minimum safety check for a vehicle to be running on the road and for the amount of vehicles this old on the road, is the gorvernment really going to save that much money (as i`m sure ultimately, thats probaly what its about)

How many times have you been for an mot thinking 'yeah, everything is cool and i`m happy with the vehicle' - only for the tester to point out a cracking steering coupling or a weeping brake union you couldn`t see without the aid of their ramps?

I too would want to check the brakes are working and I know an MOT in a single point in time, but it does force a regular independent check - including stuff like turn signals and seat belts - all have to be working ...as they should to be on the road

My bus has been off the road for 3 years and to be honest I am likely to not get it back on the road until May 2018, which will be nearly 4 years. So I will deffo be getting it checked over...my tester is very throrough - pragmatic but would not pass something dangerous

I wonder if its a ploy to remove modified older vehicles....

dubdubz said:
I wonder if its a ploy to remove modified older vehicles....

Or maybe the first step to introduce an independent vehicle condition certificate for modified vehicles over 40 years old, that costs in the region of £500 for example.

Without wishing to be pessimistic, I'd hate to think what would happen if an MOT exempt vehicle was ever involved in a fatal accident.

Lots of folk stating they will get an MOT anyway. When the pre 1960 rule was announced everyone online was saying they would get an mot anyway , I see the report shows that 6% of pre '60's vehicles on the road have voluntary MOT's :lol:

Clem said:
Lots of folk stating they will get an MOT anyway. When the pre 1960 rule was announced everyone online was saying they would get an mot anyway , I see the report shows that 6% of pre '60's vehicles on the road have voluntary MOT's :lol:

Yep and I can see exactly the same thing happening again - surely the insurance companies should insist on a current MOT to validate the policy?

StuF said:
Clem said:

Yep and I can see exactly the same thing happening again - surely the insurance companies should insist on a current MOT to validate the policy?

Perhaps and I am saying perhaps, you may get a better insurance premium if you have your vehicle voluntarily MOTD. I think a little incentive is required if that 6% is accurate. Part of that equation may in real life just be that only 6% of pre 1960 vehicles are not broken down or in the middle of the latest rebuild, or have owners that too are broken down / poorly / Ill and not able to take their vehicles out. The vehicles are all getting older and I'm sure that predominately the owners are too. I know of several owners of oldish type VWs that are no longer capable of driving but still own these vehicles. In one sad case this gentleman has a Karman Ghia and a type 2 that I think is a late and also another car that I can't get to the bottom of, but he's had them all from new. Now he has Alzheimer's and I converse with him although stintedly via his daughter who also has a late Bay from new. And we all know that these come off the road fairly frequently for refits etc. These aren't like essential work horses any more, not for most. Plus the wording of the 6% could be taken in several different ways. Oh well it's rarely up to us.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, just fill up and roll :mrgreen:

StuF said:
Clem said:

They might do, it hasn't happened yet for pre 60's and I assume if they haven't brought it in yet then (I assume) its because the risk hasn't been realised.

I know MOT's are a annual check that should be a good thing but I've just seen too many piles of junk get MOT'd, and equally also been failed on things that weren't even a 'thing' to have lost confidence in the system.

Me? I say bring it on :D

If a vehicle is not registered in this country yet does it need an mot to get its registration plates or can u just go thru the registration process without an mot when this kicks in?

Latest posts