Mot failure pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark6455

Reaction score
Well she failed yesterday on 6 counts a couple of bits of welding
e7acbfa7.jpg

9f04b2eb.jpg

This is just by the offside rear jacking point I've also found a mahoosive gaping hole behind the offside wheel arch that had been covered up with a large plastic mudflap thing

Now some of the front shock mounts apparently the bottoms are hitting the beam causing them to have bent?

be660dab.jpg

68eacc5b.jpg

32260591.jpg

e0b5860f.jpg

It's the same on the other side too any ideas how to sort it the mot guy said raise it back up and wack them straight but won't this weaken the mounts

Thanks for any advice dudes
Mark

Ps this is the mahoosive hole
c777efbd.jpg

aae236f8.jpg

ad33001b.jpg

Bummer dude. :(

Shocks don't look straight, even allowing for the bent studs, so think you may have more issues than just the studs :(
What spec is the front end? Looks like quite narrow beam on there but bj or kl and any dropped spindles etc?

Edit: it's balljoint, isn't it? Just looked at the pictures again :oops:

The rusty bits are the usual places and not hard to fix provided you have good steel to weld to. Make sure you clean out inside before welding and wax inject after.

The shock mounts are really nasty and whoever fitted them should be kept away from vehicles in future.

Any advice on putting it right?
Is it just that the bolts are too long or the position of the shock mount if so could this be moved?

Geeze said:
Bummer dude. :(

Shocks don't look straight, even allowing for the bent studs, so think you may have more issues than just the studs :(
What spec is the front end? Looks like quite narrow beam on there but bj or kl and any dropped spindles etc?

Edit: it's balljoint, isn't it? Just looked at the pictures again :oops:

Geeze yep it's a 4"narrowed and adjustable ball joint

Asother have said it can all be fixed.

The welding is straight forward, as long as you don't unearth more problems and it turns into a restoration!

The beam looks too narrow to me :shock: By how much is it clashing with the beam end plate? Could you notch the beam plate where it's clashing. The end plate could be reprofiled to miss the stud if it's only a small clash. Or maybe increase the width of the beam with 4 rings welded on the outside to increase the track a bit. The studs could be straightened if not bent too much, but I'd maybe look for another pair if you can.

Hey über cool I'm not sure how much it's hitting by to be honest I wasn't even aware it was till the mot fella failed it I'm gonna have a good look on Monday and decide the best option I'm even thinking t house narrowed trailing arms may be an option

Mark

The torsion arm shock mounts are a press fit stud which is then pinned in place, so not an easy diy replacement.
Wouldn't fancy just bending them back as without doing something to sort the fundamental problems (shocks not straight, stud hitting the beam), it still needs something done.

Which means something like these is probably the best solution:
http://transporterhaus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Geeze said:
The torsion arm shock mounts are a press fit stud which is then pinned in place, so not an easy diy replacement.
Wouldn't fancy just bending them back as without doing something to sort the fundamental problems (shocks not straight, stud hitting the beam), it still needs something done.

Which means something like these is probably the best solution:
http://transporterhaus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah I've been in touch with them geeze I may go down that route but there away till Thursday and I've only got 9 days till retest and your right I don't want to just bend them as I think it will weaken the stud.They did say they need to know the make of the beam so I sent a pic

Wouldnt mess with the arms, (havent heard of narrowed arms), it would sort of be 2 wrongs to make a right. The beam needs good looking at to see why it's bending the shock mount, can you post some photos of the beam when you where fitting it so we can see the location of the end plates to the tubes.

Narrowed arms aren't as scary as they sound - they're arms which have been machined to put the shock back into alignment so it works properly with a narrow beam. Essentially, it's the mounting lug the stud is pressed into machined back. Moves the bottom of the shock across closer to the torsion arm so it's back straight and out of the way of the beam.

If you look at the photo below and imagine the lug on the torsion arm is shorter, then you'll see what I mean

be660dab.jpg

It's this sort of thing that it takes to make a narrowed beam work properly and why some ride and handle so much nicer than others!

Geeze said:
Narrowed arms aren't as scary as they sound - they're arms which have been machined to put the shock back into alignment so it works properly with a narrow beam. Essentially, it's the mounting lug the stud is pressed into machined back. Moves the bottom of the shock across closer to the torsion arm so it's back straight and out of the way of the beam.

If you look at the photo below and imagine the lug on the torsion arm is shorter, then you'll see what I mean

be660dab.jpg

It's this sort of thing that it takes to make a narrowed beam work properly and why some ride and handle so much nicer than others!

Come to think of it my ride very harsh even with the spax shocks and it's obviously been bottoming out on the shock mount
I'll ring t haus on Monday and get them on order

Thanks Geeze

Now for that welding

I find it incredible that somebody has done that!
It must sit on the shock mount when off the axle stands i.e. o suspension. Good god it's so obvious my kids would spot it and they have no interest in cars.

ZedBed said:
I find it incredible that somebody has done that!
It must sit on the shock mount when off the axle stands i.e. o suspension. Good god it's so obvious my kids would spot it and they have no interest in cars.

Scary isnt it.

Makes you wonder what other horrors are running around on the road.

I think that looks worse because of the angle the photo was taken, its probably only just catching the beam.

My slamwerks beam would cause me some clearance issues like that but i opted to run grease seals so that moved the arms out a few more mm, this is the trouble with narrow beams, they are not just a bolt on kit, they need a little fettle to get them to work nice.

This will be sorted in no time mate, get some of them narrowed bottom arms and make up some spacers for the top mount to make the shocks run straight and then forget it ever happened ;)

What beam do you have there?

Rexer said:
I think that looks worse because of the angle the photo was taken, its probably only just catching the beam.

My slamwerks beam would cause me some clearance issues like that but i opted to run grease seals so that moved the arms out a few more mm, this is the trouble with narrow beams, they are not just a bolt on kit, they need a little fettle to get them to work nice.

This will be sorted in no time mate, get some of them narrowed bottom arms and make up some spacers for the top mount to make the shocks run straight and then forget it ever happened ;)

What beam do you have there?

Hi thanks for the positive comments I'm not sure what make the beam is just that it's 4" narrowed on adjusters looks and feels well made but as you say just needs fettling

Latest posts