My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers guys :D

J&M, I'll till be around on here posting nonsense as usual.. :D

Ginnam, I didnt use the metal ready stuff. TBH, the paint will only last a short while, but I didn't have te time to prep it all properly.. However I did paint mostly over the transit primer (which could be good or bad?)

Harlequin, the break of uni will be very welcome :D

No idea about the to-do list yet
:lol:

Just to prove I got the van to uni today...

CIMG7071.jpg

CIMG7072.jpg

And my new rear seat which I had to make a small detour on the way for (Thanks to Phil (Flying Split) for being around at 9AM on a sunday morning :)

CIMG7073.jpg

Having a great time at uni s far, people in my flat seem really nice (and like the van!) Fairly quiet night this evening, will be much later getting in tomorrow night :)

I'd leave the colour scheme as is - makes for a very distinctive look 8)

Might even start a trend :lol:

Amazing work, quite new to this forum, so will be looking forward to updates from you.
What is a van like to drive with a 4 inch narrowed beam, considering the same for my bay!

Aaron, I keep avoiding cars in the car park :lol: There is a brand new Eos with a huge scrape down the side - I don't know if it is worse someone at uni can afford one, or that they've scraped it already :?

Rob-Stone, I'm at the university of Birmingham.

Adamski, My van drives nice with the 4" beam, but I've never driven a stock one on the road... :) It corners nicely anyway.

Righty, more than 2 months without an update. Living in a 3rd floor flat means I can't pop out and do work on the van :cry:

I'm hoping to get somewhere with a garage next year ;)

Anyway, I have the use of my parents garage for 3 weeks. Woop :lol:

I've started attacking the gutters as the donor roof had a bit of surface rust in the gutters. Nothing serious found yet, just little bits of pitting on the surface. A heavy application of POR metal-ready and then a lot of paint ought to see it right.

CIMG7359.jpg

I've also taken out the 2 Drivers side windows so I can do some prep and paint on that side. The aim is to get it looking good from 10 foot away, not a show winner or anything.

So first, a bit of filler and final prep on the B pillar, a dent to fill on the swage line where it looks like someone has opened a car door into it)

Filler added to the B pillar:

CIMG7361.jpg

And to smooth out the dent

CIMG7362.jpg

Needs sanding in that photo above

:lol:

A bit of sanding and prep work later, and we have:

CIMG7364.jpg

CIMG7363.jpg

I got a fair few runs with my rattle can spraying, think I was stood too close. Ought to cut out though, I'll see what I can do when its dry. ;)

More updates to come :D

It's good to be able to work on it again :D

I've not fitted the badge yet. I've just got hold of some badge clips, so all I have to do is fill the front panel (just needs a skim) and then I'll be able to fit it ;)

Cheers dude :D Have a good Christmas ;)

8) Things will be a bit different this Christmas due to my gran having a couple of heart attacks in the last few weeks, but I'm sure we'll enjoy it just the same. Just a bit more to deal with this year.

A bit more progress for today

CIMG7369.jpg

Gave the white a bit of wax to seal the paint. It comes up fairly well, especially for a first attempt at cosmetic bodywork painting :D
It ain't perfect though - a few dust specks etc so at shows people had better not look too close :lol: Looks fine from 10ft though, which is the aim.

CIMG7370.jpg

Got a 1/4light refitted...

CIMG7372.jpg

And this one is for the rear 1/4 ;)

CIMG7371.jpg

I am stunned at how skilled you are! and you're only 18 (I'm 17, no chance of me being able to catch up) my van needs a new front panel, and the doors straightening out.. if only i had your skills, i'd do it myself, instead of spending £800 at the garage... teach me?

I'm 19 now dude, been 19 for 2 months :lol:

I do live in Brum in term time, so Tamworth isn't that far away.

Got a garage?

You havn't seen my van in the metal either :lol:

cool! =) my garage isn't tall enough for my van (why did they even bother with putting a garage door on that isn't tall enough for anything worth while) :( but my dad has a load of barns i can use when its raining and work needs doing... i need to learn how to get my windows out, so i can properly get rid of rust bubbles that are appearing under the seals :p

Don't talk to me about removing windows... :lol:

I did the side ones by pushing with my hands, start with one corner and the glass will properly bend ;)

to be fair, I've only ever had problems fitting the windscreen, which took 4 people on my van :?

If ya want a hand I'm sure I could pop over one weekend in the new year and give it a go... if my bug / van (delete whichever one isn't running at the time) has enough petrol :)

sounds cool :D my van doesn't need as much work as yours, but i just want to get it back into shape for the festival season.. (rust bubbles, re weld front wheel arch)

shame i already put a deposit on the crash damage..

did you do a course in welding, or teach yourself?

I had a friend teach me to weld, doing small heater channel repairs on my beetle :)

He then told me to "finish the floorpan" which had a hole the size of your foot through it, so I picked up the torch and got welding. Took a while to get used to the smells and sounds which are worrying at first, but it ended up alright in the end :)

I reckon my beetle will need a body-off resto in the summer to do the floors and heater channels properly. Not to mention the A pillars, bulkhead, etc etc.
It currently has MOT til March 6th, but the engine in it I've replaced for a 1641 twin carbed lump, which is being tempermental.

/endlifestory.

well, if you need any help drop me a PM.. even though i don't know how to weld.. i am going to learn one day.. so i can keep on top of the van problems, cheaply :D

My Dads a welder by trade but hes swore he wont teach me, i might get him drunk this christmas and see if i can persuade him :twisted: .

Ive bought lots of books the theory seems easy enough but watching someone welding makes me alot more nervy. I think i'll save up for a decent welder like a sealy 220, ive herad good things about it.

Cheers hasthespaz, drop me a PM when you've got a weekend day free in the new year and I'm sure we can get some windows out.

Johnnyâ„¢, welding whilst drunk sounds a bit dangerous :lol:
At first, it is very nervous as it all seems very loud and as if there is a lot of heat made. After a while it just becomes normal. I certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert at welding, I seem to have good days and bad days where nothing goes right. I've got a Clark 150TE welder, which I think is pretty good. I wouldn't want anything less than 150 amps - I've tried using a 90 amp Clarke welder and I couldn't get it to do anything useful. Snotty welding only.

Latest posts