my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ande, just looking at your painted chassis..

How are you going to stop it getting chipped when jacking the bus up? I am thinking more about MOT garages and 'not giving a fuck'.. :?

Be good to find a rubbery compound to apply to the typical jacking-points / bottom of beam etc.. (Thinking out aloud here) :?

Good thinking - not thought of that myself - lets see what the 'God' comes up with ;)

hi, i use a welding gauntlet shoved on the end of my trolley jack :D not the best method but i aim to spend decent money on a good jack when ive stopped spending on the bus.

as for mot's my friend is an mot inspector so takes good care of my wagons :D he is actually the person who failed it when i took it to him, which was the last time i ever actaully drove the car :lol:

chrome badge, alloy grill trim surround, and og vw grill trim mate. ive had it all stashed for what seems like and age now. :D

got round there tonight to try and make a dent in preperation for the bus coming back. started with a good scrub and clear out. nothing good comes from a shitty workshop.

before

DSC00199.jpg

after

DSC00210.jpg

now ivw just gotta work out how im gunna make this look good

DSC00211.jpg

its had a good few coats of brilliant white gloss in its life. i plan on trying to remove all the bars and tie downs then sand it all back and get some practice painying it.

dont know mate, hopefully :D . i'll be able to view my own thread in antisipation.

show season round the corner and the thought that i might have a bus running by the end of it is great.

andewilson said:

Looks great, However, I think I can spot some a product that the company I work for made in about 1999 (or thereafter).

I would offer a prize for the 1st correct guess, but there are 2 or 3 people on here that may have an advantage :D

We dont make tyres, tables, saws, bin liners, bolt croppers or home made ladders :D

To quote the great Rolf Harris;

Can you guess what it is yet ?

my guess was the maguras :oops: does that mean you know how to rebuild a set of rock shox as mine are a bit squidgy?

anyway got round there tonight and spent a couple of hours. but by the time i left it was proper freezing :shock:
thinking of getting these bits powder coated in silver ar black rather than the white that they were. just for a bit of detailing

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

slipped with the grinder and bang went the christmas hoody :lol:

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

my gran has bought me a lonsdale hoody every year for the past four years. they have all ended up becoming camper clobber. most have ended up this way.
luckily i always double bag when its this cold so didnt get skin deep with the wire brush.

then started stripping the roof rack back. it all seems to be coming up nice for what was a vew ropey looking poptop

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

bit more graft this weekend should see me on the front elevator next week. :D

ive spent 8 hours so far stripping the paint off the roof rack now. think ive got about two more left to go till i get get it cleaned up and etched

DSC00224-1.jpg

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

im really pleased with how it is cleaning up concidering ho bad it looked to begin will.

the pop top is going to take me all bloody year at this rate

Hi Fella,
Have a look at my thread as I have just rebulit my pop top after having the parts powder coated silver as well , just in case you change your mind on the colours!

Just to let you all no as Andy already does I'm not going to be starting work on his bus until mid feb due to prior work comitments and getting my bus ready for the volksworld show ;)
But as soon as i do i'll be taking pics and posting them on here for you all to see :)
Good work on the pop top mate 8)

Latest posts