my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ande, quick question buddy - you took the airbox section from under the dash out didn't you?

dashrepair.jpg

That is held in with welds - right? I'm not being stupid and missing the screws holding it in am I? :shock:

cheers nelly :D . i think a few people are looking forward to seeing your bus at the volksworld show. it will be nise to see the latest tweaks. :D

as for the air box craig, only take iit out if you are certain that is the route you want to go down. mine was buggered so i got rid. it is welded to both a plillars, spot welded all around the entrance. has a bracket to support the window wiper mech, handbrake assembly (which at the time i was going to get rid of bit then didnt) and steering columb. i was a bit wet behind the ears when i cut mine out and have had to engineer a solution around it. so i would only suggest you do it it you really want to. i aim to have a sub where to air box used to be. :D

the sanding continues. 5 quid for five disks at wickes seems a bit steep. think i may need to get on ebay to buy some.

anyway, finished removing the paint from the rack

pop6.jpg

and started on the main pop top

pop1.jpg

pop2.jpg

pop5.jpg

pop4.jpg

the gloss paint is sooooo thick, and its making a right mess of my workshop

pop3.jpg

hope to get it fully stripped this weekend then try some spraying. :D

Looking good 8)

It does make a mess of your garage, mine was the same but will be worth it ;)

its took me a month to get the gloss off but today i spent another two hours round there and now this is my pop top

DSC00240.jpg

just ready for some finer sanding to get it ready for priming.

i also got these in the post this week

airshox.jpg

armstrong air shocks. brand new just a bit chipped from storage.

£40 for the full set on ebay and the bloke dropped them off for free.

well worth a punt. just need to uniball the end when i know what length to make them.

my wife evicted me from the shed this weekend :evil: so she can store the masses of kids toys we have amassed since having our crew

DSC00238-1.jpg

DSC00239-1.jpg

hopefully moving these rims will buy me some time as i have two more sets in the loft she doesnt know about and my ferrari rims still sat in the front room :lol:

this week if i can get round there i hope to be replacing the wood on the underside of the poptop then final prep.

spent a couple of hours on the van in past past two days. gutted the workshop then hosed down all the walls and floors to get rid of the masses of dust created, then flipped the roof over and assessed the underneath of the poptop :shock: , not good
most pop tops need a good clean, failing that a respray, some need the wood frame replacing, others need the lot. add to that the fact that the fibre glass webbing that the wood staples to has all crumbled away. i decided to completely remove all trace of the wood and its original fixings. then i will make a new frame and bond it on somehow

pop8.jpg

pop7.jpg

pop12.jpg

pop11.jpg

pop10.jpg

pop9.jpg

my workshop now looks like this again after half of it stripped.

pop13.jpg

i then looked like this when i got home

DSC00250-1.jpg

i hope to get it re wooded in the next week then flat the underside back so i can spray both sides of the poptop to get a better than new finish.

dubfreeze on sunday so hope to pick up a few goodies :D

that bus is making you grey! The stuff you rubbed off your pop top? Was it not the final coat they use when doing fibreglass finishes? Is that going to compromise the finish of the roof or are you going cover it in lashings of paint? As far as the inside goes, I reckon you'd be good to replace the wood with a good hardwood and then fibreglass it back in again. Think of the fun you can have with that stuff! Toxic dust, skin rashes and noxious fumes, a handkerchief over the face should do it, NOT! Seeing as you've done all the hard work, fixing that roof should be a breeze for your skills my man.

yes mate the shiney coating bought it when i sanded the white gloss off it. lashings of good paint should see it shiney once more. as for the wood, i think i might ring around the local wood yards to see if the can supply me some quality hardwood to ensure i dont get warpy old pine on there again

Andy, loving the thread fella, the pop top is looking awesome :D Looks like it's starting to come together now and all that hard work will pay off soon enough.

:oops: That'll be my fault then i haven't started yet due to work comitments and still finishing off my bus for vowo :sign0013:
As soon as things start to slow down i'll get on it and post some pics up :oops:

no worries here nelly :D . its not like ive been getting loads of progress on it this end either. got my vowo wrist bands through the post the other day, so will be there on the sunday to take a look at nellybus mk3 or is it mk4 after these recent tweaks.

had a bit of a nightmare at dubfreeze, set off down the a52 at 8am to pick my mate up from derby, had a bit of a wobble on so pull up to check my wheel bolts. all seemed good so set off again. next minute the osf tyre blew out. luckily very uneventfully. sadly couldnt get the spare off due to the locking bolt :evil: . ended up taking 3 hours to get to dubfreeze. four new tyres all round killed the bills account this week :evil:

could have been worse tho, my mates mk4 tdi detonated its turbo on the way so i got off lightly. sadly in his quest for cash to fix it he decided his wleder had to go :shock: , the welder i have been loaning for the past couple of years. so had to dig deep and buy it or lose it. i suppose it was about time i bought a welder after 5 years of scabbing them.

anyway, i did get round there tonight to finish sanding off the roof

pop14.jpg

pop15.jpg

pop16.jpg

just need to buy some decent hardwood this weekend to rewood it

pop17.jpg

this is the recent arrival around the workshop

pop20.jpg

strange ebay score by my friend who shares the workshop :lol:

Nice work on the poptop and well done on finally getting a welder (5 years indeed :oops: ) 8)

What's the front from then (looks Polo 'ish??) :?: