my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the front is mk1 golf mate. the front panels arent too cheap and this was hacked of an unfinished project by the looks of it. the wlding on it is the worst i have ever seen i just hope when we hack the panel off, the wlding hasnt ruined it.

:lol: its been good having alex's caddy there for the last couple of years as it makes progress on my bus look fast :D

al has his the chance of his own workshop which is too good a chance to miss out on. so it may be moving there if it turns out to be a good un. it should have more room to work on it as it was a bit cramed in and leaky round mine.

plans are in the pipeline to build my new workshop to free up the old one to turn it into a flat to rent out. this should have been done years ago and i shudder to think on the income ive lost out on not doing it sooner. but then i never did plan on the bus taking 5 years. but life kinda takes over :D

Any further forward ande? :sad0049:

I started putting together / setting up your rollers last night 8) - Exciting!

What have you done with your steering mechinism (drop arms, pin, rods etc)? Have you reconditioned it? If so, where did you get the parts from? :party0021:

hi mate, it was creeping along nicely until this monday when some knob did a runner and left one of my flats in a right state, nicking the heating amd allowing his cat to rip its fair share of the wallpaper off. so its all hands to the pump round there till its full. just got back from there now after spending the night steaming off paper :evil: 14 hour day for the forseable till it fills :(

i did get to the wood yard on saturday tho and bought this lot

pop21.jpg

£15 for a few strips of teak :D

then began on this

pop24.jpg

pop23.jpg

pop22.jpg

as for my steering bits, i was hoping to strip my steering box and fill it with grease as it has no play in it. i do however need a new arm that conects to it as i had to cut it through to get the box off. as for the rest i have stripped cleaned and por blacked them. i did narrow my own track rods but them got the chance to buy some ce deep threaded versions so will now be running them :D

i look forward to getting my flat sorted, should be two to three weeks then back on the bus :D

That's rubbish about your flat - what scum. They don't deserve to have somewhere nice to stay if that's what they think they can do to someone else's property :x Waste of space scum.

Hope it's not too much work for you.

andewilson said:

That cup of milk doesn't look exactly 'nutritious' :shock: :? :lol:

flat now filled :D

My friend also scored his own workshop the other day where he hopes to soon be working so last weekend we rented the trailor again and dragged his caddy out on it belly and made the two hour journey to spalding where it will hopefully progress to the road a little quicker than it has done.

this now leaves a space in my workshop that i now have to fight the temptation to fill with yet another project. due to my lack of camper in there and the fact i have been busy flat renovating the workshop has become a right sh#t hole.

i went round there last night to try and sort it out but its gunna take ages since i started remove all the old plaster off the walls in ann effort to make it a little nicer round there and a little less smelly due to the leak i once had round there.

looking forward to a quality weekend down at volksworld show with a cheaky visit to legoland on the saturday to win the kids over. :D

DSC00298.jpg

:(

yet another sorning anniversary. not good. hope this is the last one. roll on the free taxing anniversary, its not had one of them for a while

oh man - I feel for ya, I know the feeling.you are well over the hill on it now though Andy so it won't be that long now. Any idea when she's coming back?

nelly has informed me that prep begins this weekend mate :D very pleased though there is the odd ropey bit that i think may be a bit of a challenge. as between me and the last guy who welded the bus its a bit wobbly :shock: .

:mrgreen:

andewilson said:
odd ropey bit that i think may be a bit of a challenge. as between me and the last guy who welded the bus its a bit wobbly :shock: .

pfff :roll: , bet it is perfect but the perfectionist in you just wants more!! :lol:

You can't get anymore 'new' than your bus :tongue0013:

sadly did some welding on my bus while it was sat on axle stands so the front end doesnt line up great :( hoping nelly can work his magic. every days a school day never do any structural welding with your bus on the piss or not sat on the floor as when you drop it back on the flat nothing lines up :?

Yah, I've been grinding loads off the chassis on my bus as it is going to Dubs and Classics this weekend for the welding. I sent some pictures to Jason of how much I have prepped and he said STOPPPPPPP!!! Not to take too much off whilst it is on your rollers for the same reason, you wouldn't think it would warp, but I guess it does. So I have put the grinder back on the shelf :lol:

yes mate its amazing how an hour of "our" van time is about ten minute of "proffesional" van time. my bus has been a right learning curve. i hope ive done the right thing by my van in what ive done but sometime i think that a more compacted "skilled" van time would have been better than the evolution of my skills. in the end i hope i reach what i was after from the start, a van to take the kids away in and have a play with some tunes and ice :D i find it hard to sell my bits and peices so this one is probably guna stick around for ever so here to hoping it works :D

been trying to get round my workshop of late but simce the bus is away it has been more property renovation than bus.

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00314.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

the big door will one day become the main entrance of my workshop when it finally gets built. the small door is my golfs hideaway

the old doors are now in the burn pile waiting for winter to come along to heat my house

DSC00316-1.jpg

then invested a few quid in two lots of this

DSC00320-2.jpg

DSC00319-2.jpg

DSC00318-1.jpg

DSC00325-2.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

the wife has finnally evicted all rimage from the house, shed, loft, and living room so had to get soem organisation round there

ran out of space for this lot though

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

did actually bring myself to move these on though

DSC00328-1.jpg

DSC00327-1.jpg

DSC00326-2.jpg

soon to be on a lovely yellow westy. it will be nice to bump into it at a show this year with them on 8)