My 1971 Microbus............

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marvin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After an amazing 16 years and VW's too numerous to mention I finally got around to owning a Bus. Why oh why didn't I do it sooner. I'm already converted.

She was imported early this year and after a bit of searching I managed to find a pic of her when she lived in Austria...
71front2.jpg

Bit rough around the edges, but I prefer to see that as character. The best bit is that as far as I can she she is uber solid and appears to be in OG paint.

A guy called Jim had her for a few months and fitted her out with a full width R&R bed, a small sound system :wink: and a few bits here and there. She's taken a fair beating with the lowering stick which also involved about 4" of lateral beam removal 8). She is now wearing a set of snide Gas Burners, not my cup of tea really, but they look kind of hard IMO against the paint (which by the way is Yellow, and NOT Orange....alright :evil:) I'm happy to roll with them until I get something a bit more me.

Right, got busy the other day (excuse the poor pictures, Mobile I'm afraid!) and fitted some headlamp grilles I had lying around and some NOS Radyot fogs
DSC00018.jpg
You can Just make them out? lol. Also fitted a pair of rear seat belts, took about 10 minutes to fit and means my "precious" human cargo can travel in complete safety!

Then set about the load area. The cargo floor is as good as immaculate, with the OG rubber mat, but, I wanted something a bit more bling so...
I laid out some soundproofing, some battening and a few sheets of your finest Ply...
DSC00022.jpg

Screwed that all down and layed out some Marmoleum tiles to see what it looked like..
DSC00013.jpg

Was happy so fixed them all down and used a nice bit of Chrome edging to finish it off. Bit the bullet and after all that hard work, drilled an f-off great hole in it to enable me to improve the table arrangments.....
DSC00020-1.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

Overall, I gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the result, for a first attempt its actually really good and I'd have been happy to have paid out to get it done. More proof that it pays to do things yourself!

Stay tuned for more updates......

its looking really cool and i love the tile colour scheme, and the burners. did you take 4" off front and rear?

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
its looking really cool and i love the tile colour scheme, and the burners. did you take 4" off front and rear?

Cheers!

I didn't do the job myself but I know what your getting at, they fit at the rear but theres not much in it! you get the odd knock over large bumps on the inner edge :?

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
nice, but i meant are you running a narrowed beam?
Narrowed rear beam....?

Thats a new one on me :? . Standard at the rear, 4" at the front.

no no lol, i get you now you've 4" off the front its cool, i thought you were talking about drop.

ace bus and welcome chap :wink: good work on that floor 8)

Always liked that van mate nice to see you putting more good work in to it quality . I like the wheels , fancy a set of them on my panel van . Welcome to the gang mate :wink:

Latest posts