My 1971 Riviera Campwagen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supertramp said:
One of my favourite busses. I like that you had the guts to change the roof, looks quality.

Cheers dude, it was either keep mithering about selling it for a bus with a roof (and that would have likely been a T25) or get stuck in :lol:

Well, after a lovely summer of camping in Derek we have also picked up a *cough* T5 and are using that a lot more... so once more I might be tempted if someone would like to take on Derek.... He's looking great and after a bit of recent fettling:

1) Service of engine and Propex and a check over and grease of the running gear
2) New front shift rod bush
3) New sliding door seal
4) New cab door seal on NS
5) New middle window seal on NS (non-sliding door)

And that's on top of the £2k+ invested in the poptop earlier in the year... :shock:

Great post! I thinking of going with the early poptoproofs westy roof for my bay.

Thanks, ->Adam

Sorry, quick question about the kit from pop tops.

Are the hinges and canvas good quality.

I ask because I've been told that the hinges need to be very strong to support the gas struts.

Thanks

adamski said:
Sorry, quick question about the kit from pop tops.

Are the hinges and canvas good quality.

I ask because I've been told that the hinges need to be very strong to support the gas struts.

Thanks

Adding a bit of reinforcement on the roof where the struts bolt on proved invaluable! He's had a bit of remedial paint and fettling since last year too but the roof is holding up great!

Derek @ The Trip Out 2015 by Ian Cleary, on Flickr

Well, I still have it... am fettling up for the season at the moment. Actually having fun with the thing again rather than getting stressed. Bit of paint needed again, and some other bits to do. :)

Spent a bit of time today sorting the lighting out...

[youtube]AT9ZKHuVkG0[/youtube]

And he's had a general clean up, a new set of stainless wiper arms and blades and a bit of an assess of what's needed.

After fitting up a new engine bay seal to keep things cool (in anticipation of good weather) I used some Würth plastic dye to bring back the dash, it gives a great and very standard-looking finish.

url]

Next job will be to just get out and enjoy him a bit.

Latest posts