My 68 Tintop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skidsurf

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi and show you my new bus!!!!!
March 68 tintop westy, imported from California last summer by Leon (on early bay)
Got loads of little jobs to do but all the important stuff is spot on!
Will be posting updates as i go along!!

68.jpg

WP_000061.jpg

WP_000062.jpg

WP_000063.jpg

WP_000066.jpg

Lovely bus. Keep the updates coming. :)

cheers Leon :D
started buying a few bits and bobs so should be busy!

Think you were right about the hot start relay, symptoms match up. Ive ordered the relay so will sort that one.

started on some bodywork repairs, quite pleased with results so far.

Rear corner dent
1.jpg

After using slide hammer and brute force!
2.jpg

After the first bit of filler!
3.jpg

fixed a few more bits this weekend. Nothing worth photos though!
Installed the missing door closer that I sourced at Bus Types for a fiver!
Fitted a cut off / immobiliser switch and repaired some electrics on the ignition.
Bit more body work also.

But best of all I found the 2009/2010 California registration card with the license plate number and previous owners address!!
to say I'm stoked is an understatement!! :D :D
Should make tracking the history pretty easy now!

Nice work on the corner Mike.

Not posted for a while!
Been on holiday and too busy to sort any photos out.
Anyway I've stripped out all the interior and scrubbed all the old glue off, cleaned out behind all the door cards, looks amazingly clean and solid inside!
Have repairs the broken springs on the front seats and sent them off to the trimmers for new covers (black vinyl with white piping)
Fixed the springs by using sections of bent hollow aluminium tubing and supported this with wire, should hold out well, its certainly improved the seats support.
Also been grafting on the body work, all the serious dents are now teased out and filled (used Fantastic filler, its amazing!! cheers Leon for tip) Have sprayed undercoat just got to double check imperfections then top coat. The blend between old paint and new is looking pretty good.
I'm not painting every blemish as you may as well paint the whole thing then, just trying to keep the patina where possible but remove the bad dents. Once I've finished these its off to the body shop to get the front panel straightened.
Photos soon! promise!

been busy of the last few weekends!
here follows an update of works.

fixed up the broken seats springs and sent the seats off to the trimmers
DSC08762.jpg

DSC08763.jpg

DSC08764.jpg

bit heath robinson but seems to work well

seats back from trimmers!!! look great.
DSC08849.jpg

DSC08851.jpg

used JH Trimmings at Ashwood Marina Kingswinford.
retrimmed and stuffed for under £300

also been busy on bodywork, think I'm close to being happy with the rear corner now.

before
1.jpg

during
2.jpg

after
DSC08854.jpg

the main side dents are pretty much sorted now, tried to keep as much original paint as possible.
DSC08855.jpg

still needs full polishing and blending yet so should get better.

They look really nice. Have you polished the inside metal work too? It's super shiny.
Nice job on the corner.

had to resort to putting the tent up in the garden as a spray booth!
DSC08852.jpg

sidestripspainting.jpg

vwbadgepainting.jpg

the front grill is now back to body colour along with the sliding door runner covers.
VW badge is now gloss black.
The bumpers are in prep at present should be gloss black soon, then just the roof to get painted gloss black and the front panel to be straightened.

cheers leon
yes the inside has been scrubbed its looking super clean inside, still not welded the floor yet though.

sorted out the indicator problem today!!
was the usual earth problem. So drilled and tapped a hole in the indicator housing and fitted and earth cable, sorted!! :D

Got the speedo cable and gearbox coupling to sort this weekend, weather permitting.

been lazy updating my build!! :oops:

Anyway here are a few jobs done lately.

New shiny jail bars!
jailbars.jpg

Engine bay extinguisher.
fireexstinguisher.jpg

sorted the floor welding out! well the mobile welders did actually!

before
DSC08438.jpg

After
floorweld1.jpg

floorweld.jpg

floorweld2.jpg

floorweld3.jpg

If your looking for mobile welders in the west midlands try these guys
JDWeldingServices.co.uk 07593 942230

Also started replacing the rubber seals, finished the tailgate and engine seals, both fitted well! Got them from JustKampers !
very soft and spot on if you spend the time adjusting and stretching.

Just got to paint the floor now and I can think about interior! bring on the summer!! 8)

Latest posts