My 68 Tintop

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^WHS^^^ That will be a nifty piece of info to have when the time comes.
Got to do it sometime.

J & P
:D :D :D

thanks lads
I'll have a measure up of the hatch and post some more details.
If you need any specific details just PM me.
cheers
Mike

managed to track down a supplier local to me with 3mm birch ply in 5ft x 5ft sheets, £9+vat!!!
makes you realise how much a rip off the pre cut sets are.

so started on the headlining this weekend. The old roof ply was terrible but managed to save the front piece to use as a template.

cutting it out
headlining1.jpg

headlining3.jpg

was almost perfect fit just a tiny adjustment.

Insulated the roof first before popping in.
few strips of flashing first to take our the resonance
headlining4.jpg

then some silver bubble stuff from screwfix for heat reflection and retaining some heat.
headlining6.jpg

then pinged in the ply!
headlining7.jpg

headlining8.jpg

just needs some clear varnish.
got the back 2 panels to fit now but they should be easier than the front I reckon! :D

looking great buddy
dont suppose you can create me a cutout of that headliner so i can make myself one? beer tokens? cheers man

Think I've got some large sheets of paper , could draw round the ply if that helps. Should be pretty close to correct. Pm me your address or pop round if your anywhere near Dudley?

:D just ordered a remote servo from VWJim, looking forward to fitting this, should make a big difference!

grafting this bank holiday weekend!
finished off the ply headliner.
headlining9.jpg

headlining10.jpg

headlining11.jpg

just needs some varnish now.

onto the door cards, sticking with the ply finish for now.

doorcards1.jpg

doorcard2.jpg

doorcards4.jpg

doorcards5.jpg

just the front door cards left to do now
doorcards6.jpg

That's the colour of the ply untreated. Not vanished it yet.
Used a local supplier to me in the West Midlands near Cradley Heath called palmer Timber.

Its the proper 3mm birch ply in 5ft x 5ft sheets.

Looking really nice in that untreated ply 8)

yeah I'm pleased with it, but need to get a clear varnish on this week, you only have to go near it to get a dirty smudge mark!

Skidsurf said:
yeah I'm pleased with it, but need to get a clear varnish on this week, you only have to go neat it to get a dirty smudge mark!

Its always a ball ache that you have to treat it but it will look good when done :mrgreen:

Received a impressive little package in the post today :) thanks ever so buddy this is what keeps my faith in the vw community :D

Latest posts