my 69er! Now fully restored!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61 stu said:
steve92 said:
DSC00175.jpg

Love your bus mate, how does the Red 9 kit drive? Im looking to lower my daily so need something relativly useable.

cheers matey! i think it drives great. some people dont approve of the red9, but i think its great. you can adjust it for height and damping so easily.

Think once mine is on the road and funds are created, I'll look to the Red9 solution - just seems to offer so much offers!

'71 Dorma said:
steve92 said:
yeah we had a great time! hope you enjoyed yours. cant wait to go back! think i need to learn to surf before next time :D

:lol: :lol: I'm with you on that one, my attempts were pretty dire and tiring!!

respect for you having a go! i just watched jealously from afar! we need a surf school on the canal! no that wouldnt work would it! :? :?

Do you know which version of the Red 9 kit you got? There's a 2"-4" drop kit and 4"-5.5" drop.

Just been at VanFest and was speaking to the guys at Red 9. Really impressed with the kit and have decided to go for one of their kits, beams and the rear plates. Just need to decide on how much to be practical with family on-board and some European cruising ahead of us.

i am almost certain i have the 2-4 kit. it could go about another 3/4 of an inch. think if you want a more practicle height this kit would be the one, if you want slammed the 4-5 1/2 is the one.the van they have is down 5 1/2" so if i have the the lower kit ,it would make my van down nearly 5" which it really cant be. hope this helps!

well its been a while since i updated this, but ive not really had a great deal to put on! we've been using the bus over our first summer alot rather than doing things to it.all was fine and dandy though till vf when the dynamo packed up, so over the last few weekends ive junked it in favour of an alternator.had a few problems along the way.got it all back together last weekend and found i needed a carb spacer as the linkage hit the alternator.couldnt find anyone that stocks them for a 34 pict so had to make one at work.had to change the air filter then as lifting the carb meant there was no longer any room for the bettle one that was fitted.also changed the inlet manifold boots while it was all in bits.got it finished today and started up with no problems, and all leak free, so im a happy man! took it for a run aswell and all is well.now i have a few minor things to sort for its mot next month, then i may start on a cab refurb.want to change the door panels and seat covers to red, but in the origional kind of style.i do love a red interior on a white bus! need to fashion some kick panels and tidy the electrics up too.heres a few engine pics :D

IMGP0514.jpg

IMGP0518.jpg

hey Steve Love your van :mrgreen: I hope you dont mind me saying mate but the chrome pancake filter you've fitted is good for a door stop and Nowt else :evil: . What happens on these is Now you havnt got a pre heat pipe that comes from the rhs of the tinwear near the frt pully ,when you run the bus in the cold the engine will take longer to heat up and the inlet manifold track will possible freeze up therefore weaking your petrol and causing the bus to start chugging as it loses power and stalls . Iceing up they call it mate , You really need to fit a standard oil filter arrangement as per stock this wil then stop this happening :wink:

I hope this helps mate as im not digging at your bus BUT please some more passenger side shots :D

Gadget

Gadget Boy said:
What happens on these is Now you havnt got a pre heat pipe that comes from the rhs of the tinwear near the frt pully ,when you run the bus in the cold the engine will take longer to heat up and the inlet manifold track will possible freeze up therefore weaking your petrol and causing the bus to start chugging as it loses power and stalls Gadget

I have fitted the exact same thing and last night i picked it up about 5ish it was bloody cold and just kept stalling on me for ages... think i might be going back to the old one.

Gadget Boy said:
hey Steve Love your van :mrgreen: I hope you dont mind me saying mate but the chrome pancake filter you've fitted is good for a door stop and Nowt else :evil: . What happens on these is Now you havnt got a pre heat pipe that comes from the rhs of the tinwear near the frt pully ,when you run the bus in the cold the engine will take longer to heat up and the inlet manifold track will possible freeze up therefore weaking your petrol and causing the bus to start chugging as it loses power and stalls . Iceing up they call it mate , You really need to fit a standard oil filter arrangement as per stock this wil then stop this happening :wink:

I hope this helps mate as im not digging at your bus BUT please some more passenger side shots :D

Gadget

yeah when i got it going again it was a bit reluctant to start with.im looking at the pancake as a temporary measure to get the old boy mobile. need to source an oil bath filter, but my stand has been cut off, so i need to fashion something :? cheers for the comments though :D .heres a few pics just for you.

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

You could fashion the air hose so it fits to the side of the air filter with tie wraps or make an l shaped braket for the engine bay and bolt it back into place ,that would work :wink: We can talk about it more at the diner :D

just got the bus back from it spending xmas at dubtricks, for some welding on the cab floor, the drivers side wheel arch. it has also been undersealed and wax oiled. it was also noted that the steering draglink ball joints were fooked, so thats been done also. the bus tracks great now. id put it down to the steering box, so glad now ive not replaced it as i had planned.have just put some jailbars on the rear screen too. cant wait to get out camping again now.looking forward to easter in the lakes.heres a few more pics.

IMGP0688.jpg

IMGP0694.jpg

IMGP0696.jpg

IMGP0699.jpg

Looking good Steve 8) some great work by Jez!! Did you get your jail bars from Baydreamers? You happy with them?

I am thinking of some for mine, especially as we are likely to be loaded up this summer!

Oh, and any luck with the oil bath filter stand?

robins said:
nice job steve, must get mine oiled up, just put some bars in mine :wink:

wish i take the credit for the welding and oiling up, but the credit goes to jez :oops: http://www.dubtricks.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; was going to do the oiling up myself, but thought as it was the first time, best to give it a proper job. BUT! the jailbar fitting is all my own work! :lol: :lol: yes andy they are baydreamers ones. the bars themselves are only ali, but so are the ones most people stock. if you want them to be super strong, there are some stainless ones about, but they cost alot more. for me it was more of a bling thing, but they do offer some protection. :D

have junked the bocar carb today in favour of a rebuilt solex one from bugjulie. what a difference! my 009 flatspot is no longer there, and the bus pulls really nice and much smoother.all set now for a run to the freeze!