my 69er! Now fully restored!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the latest update from the body shop.

Things are coming on well. so far the only wet rust found is on both cab steps, so these will be replaced when i've sourced some new ones.

all windows are now out, and no major issues under any of the seals. just a whizz down, and maybe the odd pinhole here and there to weld up. so good news!

I've always known the van had had a bump on the front corner many moons ago. now know the extent of the damage and the bodge job in the states to repair it. basically the damage had been plated over and not properly sorted. this has now been pulled out, and done properly! and a new plate has been welded back in.

at this end, i now have a near complete westy interior to go in. just need to make a buddy seat now. although i'm not having a sink unit, as it takes up far to much room

after much pondering i have decided the interior will be trimmed in brick red with cream piping, and the bed will be pleated to match the front seats. so westy with a twist!

here's a few more piccys.

P1010225.jpg

P1010230.jpg

P1010236.jpg

P1010242.jpg

here's the plate.

P1010248.jpg

this it what was underneath it!

P1010254.jpg

this is it straightened out. it has now been welded up.

P1010257.jpg

Been over to the body shop today to take a peek at the big man! really impressed with how things are going. looks like the steps will be ok. each has a 1" hole, but the surrounding metal is fine, so they can just be plated up. not bad for a 41 yr old vehicle! there's no rot just alot of dents! heres a few more pics.

IMGP1946-1.jpg

IMGP1939.jpg

IMGP1938.jpg

IMGP1944.jpg

IMGP1937.jpg

IMGP1945.jpg

Been over today to help? take the engine out. He now has some PAINT!!! on the inside, on the areas that will be seen. looks wicked!

IMGP2042.jpg

IMGP2039.jpg

IMGP2041.jpg

IMGP2040.jpg

IMGP2045.jpg

Dentys shell has been top coated today! He will be colour sanded tomorrow.
Got some nice shiney powder coated tinware back from the powder coaters today.
Steve's a happy boy! :D

had a great day today helping put the engine back in. had all the tin powdered , so it looks great now, and started up fine. hopefully should be home in a couple of weeks. :D

All my locks have been retumbled today by a local locksmith. All on one key now! and at last I will be able to unlock the slider with a key, as I never had a key for it. No more shuffling through from the drivers door when I come back drunk ! :D

Just a couple more pics of him lazing in the sun!

P1010317.jpg

P1010320.jpg

Latest posts