my 69er! Now fully restored!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gadget Boy said:
hey Steve Love your van :mrgreen: I hope you dont mind me saying mate but the chrome pancake filter you've fitted is good for a door stop and Nowt else :evil: . What happens on these is Now you havnt got a pre heat pipe that comes from the rhs of the tinwear near the frt pully ,when you run the bus in the cold the engine will take longer to heat up and the inlet manifold track will possible freeze up therefore weaking your petrol and causing the bus to start chugging as it loses power and stalls . Iceing up they call it mate , You really need to fit a standard oil filter arrangement as per stock this wil then stop this happening :wink:

I hope this helps mate as im not digging at your bus BUT please some more passenger side shots :D

Gadget
this problem is now sorted :D .had the og style filter for ages now(thanks andy benyon!), but been searching for a stand, which has now been sourced off here. bus has just had a tune up by glyn at http://www.thebaybay.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. just back from a few days in dorset, then up to silverstone for the british grand prix.bus ran really well! :D :D

Been ages since I updated this!
Anyway after much pondering,I have decided it's time for a resto! Have my painter sorted,so have just begun striping the interior out,so he can do some painting inside aswell.Its going to have a full windows out, engine bay,some interior, seat stands etc paint job.Am going to keep the og colour of pearl white.The interior is going to be westy ish! Have a wardrobe to go in,and am keeping the og westy bed,but it will be recovered.Have also sourced another wardrobe,which Im going to cut up and use to make my own westy style units,as the westy sink and buddy seat take up far too much room for me! Really pleased that this evening i got the ply head lining out without breaking it!,so a sand down and some varish,and it can go back in.Thought I'd end up having to make a new one.

a few pics so far.

IMGP1851.jpg

IMGP1850.jpg

IMGP1853.jpg

finished stripping him out today.glad to find no rust issues lurking under any of the panels!
my us style number plates came yesterday,and look wicked in the denver frames i've found from the states.

IMGP1859.jpg

IMGP1898.jpg

IMGP1896.jpg

IMGP1894.jpg

IMGP1889.jpg

got him mot'd on friday ,as it will run out while it's in the paint shop.straight through,again!
have a good load of westy interior now,thanks to bus freeze.It was an expensive day, but worthwhile! He will be off to the bodyshop this week.

well the bus is now at the paintshop ready to be started on as soon as they have finished painting a T4. what ever that is!! :roll:

Have been busy today sanding down the head lining. amazed how well it's come up :D

IMGP1919.jpg

IMGP1925.jpg

got the plate frames from ebay in the states.i'm told they are nos from the 60's. cost more to get them here than to buy, but ended up at about £40 for 2 posted. yep the plates are states plates. look real nice and turned up within a week. cant wait to see them on the bus.they look sooo cool! not sure what the old bill will think, but i think it's worth the risk!

faux said:
They have come up a treat, will you be using a stain on them? I think on a 69 the wood is a light oak colour.

yeah think i probably will. just debating which type to use. think i'll end up using a wood dye,then some clear varish. cheers for the light oak tip jon :D

Hi Steve, looking forward to the see the end of this light resto, loved the history your bus wore so I'm hoping for something sweet when its rolling again 8)

Benyon said:
Hi Steve, looking forward to the see the end of this light resto, loved the history your bus wore so I'm hoping for something sweet when its rolling again 8)

Hey Andy. Hope all's well. Loved the history myself, but there comes a time when it needs to be done. Looking forward to the end result. :D

the t4 is now done, and they have started work on my bus. the largest dent has been pulled out, the lights etc have been removed,and they have trail fitted a new engine lid and valance, as the old ones were dented too much to save.looking good so far. I've been busy sourcing interior bits, and giving it some spit and polish. Been making a new westy bed front today from some westy wood i have.project buddy seat next!

P1010215.jpg

P1010208.jpg

P1010205.jpg

P1010198.jpg

P1010218.jpg

Latest posts