My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slammedkustom said:
great work, have you done any flatting and polishing yet?

also just a thought, i would turn the flooring around 180 so the join is away from the door side, otherwise the join may show thru the vinyl but would be less likely to be seen on the far side.

keep them pics coming! :wink:

Cheers for the comments and advice guys

Good idea about the flooring, didn't think of that. :idea:

Johnny I gave it about 4/5 coats in the end .I have now used some 1200/1500 wet and dry paper and rubbing compound to bring up the paint , Ive also put some wax on it and it's buffed up quite nice. It's never gonna be a show winner but turned out great for me considering I did it on my driveway,and the best thing is it didn't cost me an arm or a leg to do either. :D

A bit more progress... Still got to spray the inner sliding door white. Waiting for Halfords to get some more in as they have run out of Pastel white, so in the mean time made a start on the interior build.

holiday07082.jpg

Decided a cream interior, so made a start by lining the window surrounds before the glass and seals go back in, hopefully this will make it a bit more cosy inside. I have used a stretch vinyl leatherette which has been stuck down with a strong spray adhesive, (Been getting high on the fumes :lol: )

holiday07083.jpg

Managed to salvage part of the original Devon roof locker which was rotten. The only useable part was the front frame for the doors. I have replaced the bottom of it using the old part as a template for the new wood.

Photo-0043.jpg

It would have originally had a wardrobe on the left side but as you can see from this picture it is now gone, so I'm going to attempt to build a new one.

interiorfit.jpg

Photo-0044-1.jpg

Because of the ribbed floor I have cut some wood strips to give a level surface.

Photo-0045-1.jpg

Photo-0046.jpg

Should also help with sound insulation when the carpet panels go down on it.

Photo-0047.jpg

In this pic I have cut the wood for the rear and stuck the carpet to it using spray adhesive, folding the edges over to give a neat finish. I held it into position with an electric staple gun I got from Woolworth for about £12, its a great little tool.

Photo-0048.jpg

And fitted

Photo-0049.jpg

Photo-0051.jpg

In this pic I did the same for the front panel, leaving holes for the seat belt points.

Photo-0053.jpg

Will update tomorrow. :D

Have you thought about putting some sound insulation down first before fitting in all the interior bits and bobs - also heat insulation to help out on
those cold evenings when out camping... :wink:

Having just looked through this thread I'm going to make a note to come back and look at it any time I'm feeling down about my van.

When I looked at the first page and saw the bit where you said:

Alfie said:
After getting various quotes from welders which proved very expensive Shocked I decided to give it a go myself and I bought a cheap welder from Halfords.

I had my doubts but you're doing inspiring work there. Working around the weather on you driveway too. Awesome. I take my hat off to you.

yes this is looking great i like the colour.

IF you need any any measurements or pictures of any part of the devon cupboard your making let me know i can help out.

coming along very nicely doood! :wink:

Thanks guys :D gninnam, I bought some quilt type lagging stuff and stuck it to the roof under the overhead locker before covering it with vinyl hopefully that should do the trick re sound proofing.

Not sure what to put under the side panels yet, whats best, roof lagging the stuff you put in lofts, or polystyrine?? ( dont know how to spell it :D )

Did a bit more on the interior today
Photo-0054.jpg

Made a start on the wardrobe

Photo-0057.jpg

Photo-0059.jpg

Photo-0061.jpg

Quite chuffed with it so far, still got to finish it off, put some doors on, varnish etc :D

Photo-0062.jpg

Next job is the floor covering :D

Alfie said:
Thanks guys :D gninnam, I bought some quilt type lagging stuff and stuck it to the roof under the overhead locker before covering it with vinyl hopefully that should do the trick re sound proofing.

Might be worth putting something on the engine area etc as will reduce resonances from under
there and also help to keep the heat in when out camping!! :D

Awesome!

I've just aquired a 1972 Bay that will need a similar amount of work and this thread is definitely inspiring! There won't be a lot of money available to go into the project, so seeing what can be done 'on the cheap' helps a lot :D

Amazing build up mate, can't wait to see the finished article. I'll be checking back regularly to help keep me motivated on my project! :D

Thanks everyone :D

Did a bit more today. Put some lino down over the floor, some insulation in the wall cavity before boarding it out ready for the interior units.......which Ive still got to build somehow :shock: :?:

Photo-0075.jpg

Photo-0073.jpg

Photo-0077.jpg

doing a fantastic job. you know the end is insight when the interior starts coming together. its going to look great when finished. keep the pics coming.

Latest posts