My 71 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortunate Son

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was about time I got my head round uploading pics (hope this works) - so here is my 71 Dormy - owned her since last March, never welded, 1st owner was supposedly an RAF engineer who parked her mostly in hangars for the first 25 years of her life and drove her to Moscow amongst other places all over mainland Europe. She has lived in Bristol, Caerphilly and Bath in the past, now in Cheshire. Anyway, great website / forum, really looking forward to seeing all you earlybayers out there this year, Cheers, Andy 8)

DSC00560Resized.jpg

DSC00546Resized.jpg

nice clean bus dude . welcome to the forum mate 8) 8) do you know that Scampi dude with the sexy green panel van :lol:

exellent van :!: an ideal ride for those summertrips in europe
enjoy it :wink:

Nice Dormobile - a rare find in such good condition. Its the same year as mine. Are your gas bottles in the engine compartment?
I've owned mine since v.new though its not as original looking as yours since it had a spacemaker roof fitted back in 1982 and has a front mounted spare so that the bed is full width (a v.common mod back in the 70's). Got any plans for it?
Welcome to the forum.

Trikky - Thanx for comments - It has one gas bottle in the LHS of the engine compartment - the previous owner was unsure if gas system was safe, I replaced flexi lines at both ends and cooker works great although does have a bit of a "pop" when you turn it off (me thinks this may be normal with old cookers??)

I am going to keep her as original as possible (interior is very very clean, OG and complete with both buddy seats and childs bunk, also has what I think is OG roof rack) - I have fitted a propex to keep girlfriend happy (had to fight back tears as I hole sawed the 2 holes needed for exhaust & inlet pipe!)

Its had a cut and turn on the beam and with OG 14" wheels / tyres is a little too low - I want to raise it an inch or so at front as tyres occasionally rub on arches when loaded up & going round corners. Not sure if I can fit adjusters on to beam now its had cut & turn. Maybe needs new rust free beam?

It will be going for minor bodywork in April (to Ron at Talke Motors) (the 1st welding its ever had as far as I can see) It needs both rear corners, n/s battery tray and N/S outer sill and minor arch repairs. The chassis is riddled with little orange rubber bungs which Im told may be from waxoyling so Im not expecting it to need work underneath. (Ive had it jacked up on all 4 jacking points and nothing has given way yet!)

Once thats done that'll probably be it, engine is Vege recon with about 35K on it, will be off to shows and Devon & Cornwall later in year.

As an asside, I used to live @ Hurleston Gardens, just off the Barony in Natwich - left about 16 years ago, but went back about 3 years ago and
what a difference. Didn't recognise the place :shock:

Re Gas bottles - originally they were fitted with a wooden (black plywood)insert in the left rear quarter opposite the battery. This had two circular shapes to take two international camping gas bottles. There were two simple canvas (military type) straps that went over the bottles to hold them in place. Dormobile "eased" (dented) the underside if the spare wheel recess to give sufficient clearance for the second bottle.

The pop on the cooker was standard from new.

Childs bunk is rare since it was an option and not standard. Its the canvas one that goes over the front seats right? Clips into metal brackets scewed to pillars.

The original roofrack on mine was a tubular galvanised steel unit. Quite heavy but strong - intended for the optional free standing awning (which was ghastly blue but well made and solid)

Its a pity about the suspension - a rust free replacement should not be too difficult to find - fairly easy to fit and not very expensive. Another possibility might be to fit some assister shock absorbers. They have a coil spring round them and they worked well on my trials beetle I used to run in the 80's. I think they were originally meant to help the rear suspension on cars towing caravans.

Yes the orange plugs are a sign of waxoyl. Dinitrol used black ones I think. Its a very good sign and explains why the van is in such good condition. Nice to see one so original.

hey if you're in nantwich, get yourself to the darlaston in stone sometime. We meet twice a month, but see the website for the dates. At the moment we're hibernating inside but come the light nights then we'll be back out on the car park.

http://www.stoke-stafforddubs.co.uk/

nice van too!!

Latest posts