My 71 ex-Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just finished the post in Tech on how I retrofitted my sunroof. Rather than do it all again, here's a link
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little paint update..
Because of the cheapo US respray, the majority of the panels had to be stripped back to bare metal

But after many hours of flatting, and 10 liters of paint, its looking great..

Little update, happy with the roof, started like this

Now the roof is working, fitted, painted

and polished!

Poxy side quarter windows fitting next....

I bought my bus home last week, all shiny :)

Before:

After - 3 years..

Just the interior to go, and its done!!

HOLY SHIT Neil... thats stunning. Thats the red i was trying for... just came out brighter :lol:
Awesome effort mate you should be proud.
Cheers Matty

And so it all starts. After two years of no engine in my bay (it was donated to our beach buggy for volksworld 22) I’m finally getting an engine in it. A rebuilt 1600 with a mild cam, the rest stock. I was going to run 34ict’s, but have decdied to go for a Kompressor Haus sleeper kit. Having spoken to a few bus owners with either a KH or Joe Blow kit fitted, it sounds like a great way to go.
I’ll also be running a 100 amp Empi alternator, and detailing the engine a bit. The colour matches the bus’ interior colour, which I also plan to finish, and maybe even camp in it!
I’ll update as I go along. Tinware has all been prepped and painted before Christmas, the fan housing being smoothed out and mixed for hidden ignition leads, and breast plate, cylinder tinware all repaired , the breast plate having the pre heater parts removed and smoothed. It then stalled again, as I went to do other things, but I got the urge again last month,so I prepped and painted The alternator and case top a few weeks ago. A lot of cleaning and prep on the case, should stay on for a while, hopefully. I’ve got some small ideas for the blower kit as well. I’ll update as it progresses.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2851.jpeg
    IMG_2851.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
And so it all starts. After two years of no engine in my bay (it was donated to our beach buggy for volksworld 22) I’m finally getting an engine in it. A rebuilt 1600 with a mild cam, the rest stock. I was going to run 34ict’s, but have decdied to go for a Kompressor Haus sleeper kit. Having spoken to a few bus owners with either a KH or Joe Blow kit fitted, it sounds like a great way to go.
I’ll also be running a 100 amp Empi alternator, and detailing the engine a bit. The colour matches the bus’ interior colour, which I also plan to finish, and maybe even camp in it!
I’ll update as I go along. Tinware has all been prepped and painted before Christmas, the fan housing being smoothed out and mixed for hidden ignition leads, and breast plate, cylinder tinware all repaired , the breast plate having the pre heater parts removed and smoothed. It then stalled again, as I went to do other things, but I got the urge again last month,so I prepped and painted The alternator and case top a few weeks ago. A lot of cleaning and prep on the case, should stay on for a while, hopefully. I’ve got some small ideas for the blower kit as well. I’ll update as it progresses.
Be very careful fitting the Joe Blow or Kompressor haus kit unless you have a way of altering the timing, they simply do not work with a standard dizzy set up despite what both companies tell you, they will overheat massively and also setting them up can take an age and it needs to be done on a rolling road, its not a 'cheap' upgrade once you factor in those elements, seen and heard of too many failures for such small sales.

I love the idea of a supercharger, but as said above get it set up properly and invest in a rolling road as it will go bang otherwise.

Latest posts