my 71

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev mc

Reaction score
hi all
after having many splitty`s, bugs, kg`s i decided to buy a bay, a vehicle that i had very limited knowledge on as to changes over the years. i was searching for a while and after getting a few, lets say not very helpful comments from sellers, that done themselves out of a sale, i found this one.
its not pretty but i can see through that. mechanically its sound, and the underside is great too, albeit due to a coating of under-seal :roll: something i don't normally like to see but in this case it saved it from certain death i guess. drove the 320m to Ilfracombe viewed it, test drove it and to be honest it couldn't pull the skin of custard. so went against my better judgment and struck a deal. drove it to croyde where we spent the weekend surfing. had a tinker with the carb and it drove loads better, even managed the drive home and cruised at 65 -70 mph all the way.
plans: get the bodywork done, just bought the front arches, correct lower front panel and a rust free tailgate, searching for a pair of cab doors. and lose that god awful rag top. maybe fit a dormobile top or something like that. the guy i bought it off did not know what conversion it originally was, so if anyone knows of how i could find out :D

eb1.jpg

i didnt buy the racks, he didnt want to sell them.

001-5.jpg

eb5.jpg

thats all the pics i have at the mo, will be sure to post progress pics up as and when.

Welcome Kev :D

Looks like a good canvas to work with, especially if the chassis is in good repair 8)
Something about the engine bay that I like - not seen that done before :msn4:

Hope you keep us posted as to what you are or have done and a pop top is a good idea too :mrgreen:

ha ha not my doing the engine bay.

done a bit today, what a cow to fit these aftermarket arches.
039.jpg

after much tacking fitting the door and jiggling got the shuts pretty spot on but you can tell the panel is sheite. got to extend the step section as it is approx 7mm short :roll:

041.jpg

the usual inner wing repairs
but on the other hand though, when i chipped the under seal off it all looks og paint on the rest of the wheel recess. :D

Had exactly the same issue with those kleftenholm arches, glad i didnt listen to someone who told me to get a ratchet strap around the a-post and pull it in to weld it. Id have never got my doors to fit.

On the conversion front i'd go Danbury or Dormobile given position of the opening, but i'm still learning :D

good luck with the new project

cheers guys. ive managed to source a dormobile roof with the bunks. i have a spare cut of roof so if i need to graft a piece in i have it.
anyone of pics of a dormobile bus with the pop top of so i can see what needs to be done to the roof to make the op top fit.
cheers
kev

Hi and welcome! :D

Nice bus!

Regarding the conversion, either Danbury or Devon I would say. The roof aperture would be further forward on a Dormobile.
Have you got any pics of the interior? If it was a Danbury there may still be clues that will enable me to identify it as having once been one. :)

Good choice with the roof (though I would say that ;) )

Have a look at my website as there are quite a few pics of the poptop and roof appeture that should hopefully help.
Goto 'www.gninnam.f9.co.uk'

:D

cheers :D
turns out the bus was a Devon, the curtains gave it away, apparently.
still going to fit the Dormobile roof i think, as i have sourced it.
more updates soon :mrgreen:

hi Rusty, sold the 15 about four weeks ago. it went to Belgium to a big company who have commissioned a guy to do a full paint and interior on it and then using it as a promotional vehicle.
done a bit more today.
high build primer after a lot of prep work on this arch, man does anywhere make good quality panels for bays.
008-8.jpg

had to get rid of that horrible Noddy nose on the re-pro front panel, and sort out a couple of rough bits. then fit new lower section as this was never done by the PO, even had the lip on the bottom of the re-pro panel about 4" above the bumper
001-6.jpg

quick rub down
004-7.jpg

and a coat of primer, just got to block it tomorrow and get ready for a quick top coat. nothing special at the mo as i need to use it,but it will get a complete strip down and respray later in the year.
006-5.jpg

cheers
kev

Looks good so far 8)

Need to remove the 'noddy blob' on mine also :oops:

hmm
004-8.jpg

005-8.jpg

came out ok, put the first coat on a bit thick :roll: but itll flat out. 2nd and 3rd coat went on nice.

Latest posts