My '72 crossover heap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivor

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been on here a few weeks, and have posted a couple of times, thought it only polite to introduce myself and my ratty van to you. I'm Ivor, from Surrey, 45, into old vans and motorcycles. We bought this van a couple of months ago, and although she has no interior, I plan to take the kids, (2) to Cornwall in her on Sunday week. I need to fit a rock and roll bed, and some seatbelts in the back, so will be a bit busy for the next week!! I will have to weld the two outer seatbelt mounting points, (wheelarches), as these are just fibreglassed over at present.
A few pictures for you.....................er, where's the 'add attachment' section that appears on other forums?

Ah, just read the 'how to' bit, I'll try and sort that out in the next day or two........... :D

if you wanna email them to me I can post them for now if you like :D I wanna see you van :D

And welcome :D

Let's try this..................
V5.jpg

V4.jpg

V3.jpg

V2.jpg

V1.jpg

Well, that worked OK then..................... :D

Now you can see what I'm up against, will probably buy a R+R bed kit from Just Kampers and fit it over the next few days, not the cheapest option, but I don't have much time. Anyone know where I can get some covers for the seat foam 'off the peg' as it where?

Welcome dude,

Have seen bigger projects so i would imagine there are quite a few guys in here that can help you.

As for the covers, VW Trim, Newton Commercial etc will do them as well as well as VW Interiors and VW Curtains.

Best of luck with it dude :D

Kev

Hi Ivor , love the interior of the van Red seats and door cards rock
Welcome mate cool van :wink:

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
looks like a devon with that table and double louvered window.

nice

I think you're right on that, we got the VW camper interior book from the library, and I suspected it was originally a Devon. There was the remnants of a cupboard and a single seat when I got her, but the wood had been painted over several times, and was quite heavily damaged, and the cool box was badly broken, so I ditched the lot. (No doubt some forum members would have persevered on them). We are planning on fitting it out with all new stuff, I'll build it to my spec to suit. Has anyone seen that book? It's really good, author is David Eccles.

Thanks for the heads up on the upholstery Genchy........... :wink:

Thanks for that, but my acrobat wont support it, and I cant seem to get mine updated, must be having a mental block............. :evil:
I'll try again tomorrow..................................

Right, downloaded latest Acrobat, and got it open, thanks, that's great, and really clear too! My van IS definately a Devon, (or ex-Devon to be more accurate!).

Today was spent on hands and knees removing the 'glassed over wheelarches, and welding in some new steel. Just needs some paint to finish, question is, can someone give me the correct measurements for the location of the seat belt mounting holes, and does anyone know if the correct arched seat belt anchor plates for the wheelarches are available?

Sorry, I think I may be asking more than my fair share of questions over the next couple of weeks.... :oops:

seatbelt mounts should be flat plates wit a large nut welded. something like this...

http://shop.justkampers.com/product_info.php/products_id/9441

or schofeilds:

http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/partsDetail/viewPartSelect.asp?prtNo=9&prt2=9.1&prt3=&prt4=&prt5=&prt6=&vehID=2

Thanks, I've done the welding, just after the nut/plate on it's own, I know the flat ones are available, just thought the original VW ones for the rear were curved.
Got my rock and roll bed kit in the post this morning.. :D
It was meant for a splittie, so it just needs a little trim to fit, will try it later. Must post some more pics I guess...........................

Mad rush to get seat/bed in for holiday, finished at 10.30 pm Sat night, left for Cornwall first thing on the Sunday! Got down alright, but engine missing, wouldn't pull up hills. Found a mechanic with a garage called Baz just outside Redruth who found I had a duff lead, changed it and got us running like a dream! Many thanks to him, a real decent guy.. :D
Will need to do a lot of work over the winter, no interior lighting, had to go to bed at same time as my 5 year old son, as there wasn't anything else to do!! :lol:
Here's a pic from our campsite...............
Niallandvan.jpg

Latest posts