My '72 devon....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you buy the membranes for the doors or did you just use anything you could lay your hands on? i'm surprised at how much water runs through the doors!

By the way nice thread 8)

woz said:
Did you buy the membranes for the doors or did you just use anything you could lay your hands on? i'm surprised at how much water runs through the doors!

By the way nice thread 8)

Cheers Woz :D

Got them off fleebay..!! Mine have small perforations all over but you can get solid ones to. If you've got the plastic at hand you can use your door card once off as a template. But don't forget to put the additional flaps in to guide water back into door.

Here a link to one seller on Fleebay..!! :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bus-Camper-Bay-67-79-plastic-door-card-sheets-templates-x2-/331057955510?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW&hash=item4d149782b6#ht_1047wt_1170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woz said:
Thanks for info and link - just ordered them, thats another box ticked :)

No Prob's..!! :D

jimmyful said:
The interior looks amazing! Good work

Thank You..!! 8)

Came to work in the bus today..!! :D

Frozen ice on the outside and inside of the windscreen..!! :shock: But a quick scrape and a couple of mins with the heat on (yes heating..!!) the screen was clearish and of we went. Great drive, lovely sunrise and best of all, is the smile it puts on ya face driving a vw bus..!! 8)

Had a inter club cruise on Sunday last 8th Dec, shame it clashed with EB crimbo Diner meet.! :?

With our club Lowlife and Hubba Dubba club..! :)

We cruised from The Windmill in Whitnash, Leamington Spa too The Sparrow, Coombe Fields road, Coventry. Where we met the Hubba dubba club :)

Here's some Pic's..!! :D

Me happy behind the wheel..!!! :lol:

Passenger also happy (or surprised.!?)..!! :D

A good mix of Veedubs

Wishing YOU all a Merry Crimbo and a Happy New Year..!!!! 8)

Not done much but started to rub down the cab roof ready to repaint the damage done by a flying gazzebo from end of last years show..!!

Have rust cured it and then etch primed it now as it had gone down to the metal in places. Will fill with a bit of filler then spray soon. :)

Called in to the Long Itchington Butty Run meet on Sunday on the way to the unit and saw this single cab.. :D

And this commer...! 8)

Well etch primed roof area...

Then gave it a sand and then put some filler on....

Taking all the wheels off and replacing the white wall inserts as they have started to disintegrate....

Off side first...

then noticed a small rust patch behind the front wheel on the chassis rail.......and of course after the screw driver test it got bigger...!! :roll: :evil:

So that will need cutting out now and new metal in..!!! ;)

Old white walls off...

New one placed on....

I've let all the air out and then used my weight on my front toes of one foot and pushed the side of tyre in a bit and then slipped the insert in. Worked round the hole tyre then gave it a few hits with a heavy rubber mallet to settle in. 8)

New ones done and on.....

I have a slighty older duff Atlas insert that i'm going to have a go at sanding off the "Atlas" and 14" to see if i can make it smooth..!!?? :D 8)

Gwar72 said:
then noticed a small rust patch behind the front wheel on the chassis rail.......and of course after the screw driver test it got bigger...!! :roll: :evil:

So that will need cutting out now and new metal in..!!! ;)

Dam screwdriver test :evil: Although a small job after the resto work you have done :D

Woz- Tel me about It..!!?? :evil: :lol:

Well cut out the rot and found loads of flake inside the chassis rail..!!!! :shock:

I had to cut out the side and the bottom in the end. Butts up to an old repair done by previos owner.

Then gave it all a dose of Kurerust...
Then in with the new metal..!! :D

Side piece 1st.....

Then bottom held in by clamps and ready to get welded....

Found a small hole just behind the brake servo to... :roll:

Bottom piece welded... 8)

And a sand down to roof repair.. :D

A good productive session..!! :D

Myvanway said:
Quality wielding as usual. 8)

How can you wield in such a manner... can't even see out them blooming masks!!! :lol:

Hats off.

:D

Cheers :D

It does help with the auto shade visors but i think it's a case of practice, practice, practice for my case in results..!!? LoL :lol:

Well did a bit more last weekend....

Found some holes on the other side of the chassis rail where the brake regulator is..!! :roll:
So un-bolted that and moved out the way to see things and this is it...!!! :evil:

So with a little bit of care with the smaller angle grinder (not wanting to cut through wiring loom..!!??) i cut out what i could. Had to use a hacksaw blade and do some bits by hand....

Trying to do all this while van is on an axle stand, there ain't much room to cut..!! Wait till i have to get in there and weld..!!!?? :shock:

SO, gave my back a rest and turned to the front jacking point/outrigger. NOW this is just a temporary fix for this summer as i plan to take the belly pans off and do both sills..!! So don't judge...!!?? :lol:

Previous bodge is that the hole thing has been encased in metal sheet so when you look up inside there is NO rigger there and i can see into the belly pan void..!! Can't wait to tackle that in the winter...!!?? :roll:

So made a cover plate out of a couple of bits....

Spot welded it on...

And grinded back...

Will seam seal and put some sealent up in the top gap where i couldn't weld in this next pic

All Kurusted for now...

Now onto this next job on the wheel arch...!!! :)

Had to do exactly the same chasis repair myself and i know what you mean about not a lot of room to cut when on axle stands. i took the regulator off started cutting and then hit the end of the brake line :oops: you would think i'm trying to make jobs for myself.

Good progress

Cheers Woz :D

I few updates...

Put a plate over the hole close to the wiring loom and belly pan (will take off and re-do when belly pan comes off)..

Finished off around back of where the barke regulator goes...

Then 1st top coat on the cab roof...

Then stripped paint off wheel arch and etch primed...

Etch primed chassis repair...

Then seam sealed...

After a rub down and another primer, then went on 1st top coat.... 8)

Then bit the bullet and drilled holes in the rear floor to attach the electric hook-up....!!! :shock:

Marine Sikaflex and crommet for the cable hole and where the 2 screws attach it to the under floor a dab of sikaflex to seal them as they tighten.. ;)

Then covered the indentations in the back of the hook-up socket with Waxoil so water doesn't sit in them against the underbody of the floor...

and brushed Waxoil on floor bed to before screwing in place.... ;)

Screwed on...

Top cover attached with end plug..

Cable just came up inside the small compartment to the left in the rear bench seat....

Then another top coat of Chianti red.... 8)

A good weekends work in the unit.....(was it sunny this wkend just gone...!!!) :lol: :lol:

After 3 top coats of Chianti Red.....!! :D

Also sprayed the weld areas in red then a couple of coats of Black stonechip....

OVER 10,000 VIEWS....!!!! :party0049:

Half of the 10,000 was prob "ME" but Thank You "ALL" for looking..!! :party0047:

I hope you found it interesting..!! LoL :D

A bit more done....

Waxoiled the wheel arches on the off side and used the boiling water in a bucket to keep it all fluid so i could hand pump spray it on.

More Chianti Red goes on as i flatted back to much in one area and wasn't totally happy with it...

Then the wheels went back on....!!! :D

RCD in...

Linked to one 240v socket in the kick panel for use when just hooked up to mains and also to a 2nd socket in the seat compartment to plug in the C-Tek battery charger for leisure battery.

Then took off the nearside wheels to change the white wall inserts. And Yes i told myself "Not to poke the rust.!!" BUT found this old patch repair in the footwell was rotten...!!!

So out came the grinder...

View from below looking back up...

And after 3 hrs of fettling. New metal in...!!! :D

More from last weekend.

Found more rust mites in the front chassis Y spur thingy..!! :roll:

So clean it up and treated then plated it over for now...

Etch primed footwell repair..

Seam sealed...

Top coat.. :D

Stone chipped then waxoiled underneath..!!

She's now out of the unit...!!!!! :party0009: Roll on Bus Types next Weekend....!!! 8) 8)

Latest posts