My first Bay - 1968 pop up camper, soon to be Cal Look!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi mate glad to see another one like mine .its been nearly a year since we bought ours and know of only one other like it. I have just bought a Wolfsburg 1776 and I too have a vintagespeed exhaust on order .I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT :D :D :D
My Turret top canvas is ripped any idea where to get one ????

just been doing some bodywork and mines all white underneath but certainly not alright

Hi brian

need some more info on your exhaust Brian as i was thinking about fitting one. Is that the lowered vintagespeedshop version?. Did you get it from iconautomotive? got any videos of it running and do you think it would also take a tow bar with it fitted? and finally is it easily fitted? looks like the fresh air hoses from the fan shroud are going to be tricky to connect to the heater boxes?

looks really good :msn4:

Its not such a problem for the Cali folks as it doesn't get that cold but for us northern europeans it can get fairly chilly and heater boxes are a must.

I cant see a way around it unless they put a bend in the tubes, use crossover pipes which would lenghthen the distance to the exhaust or develop their own heat exchangers with an angled exit. Its the one thing stopping me from buying this exhaust. Shame really as it looks and sounds like the business and looks like it gives good clearance.

Johnny said:
Its not such a problem for the Cali folks as it doesn't get that cold but for us northern europeans it can get fairly chilly and heater boxes are a must.

I cant see a way around it unless they put a bend in the tubes, use crossover pipes which would lenghthen the distance to the exhaust or develop their own heat exchangers with an angled exit. Its the one thing stopping me from buying this exhaust. Shame really as it looks and sounds like the business and looks like it gives good clearance.

I like to have my heater boxes as well, it is 30 deg as I type this in Cali and it is raining so not always sunshine here.

But a great quality exhaust. I used exhaust tape which worked well.

The best way would be to weld flanges to both exhaust and boxes to bolt together with a gasket.

Hey Brian, I hope all is well with you???

Have a merry Christmas and a happy New year!

To answer your question (or try too) I think it's a pain to take the top of the dash off with the screen in place! Sadly I think it's easier to take the shifter out giving you more space to lie upside down and reach up under the dash!

Cheers

Alex

alex4057 said:

To answer your question (or try too) I think it's a pain to take the top of the dash off with the screen in place! Sadly I think it's easier to take the shifter out giving you more space to lie upside down and reach up under the dash!

Cheers

Alex

Merry Christmas back to you Alex my friend!!

Well the issue here is I am 6ft and 300lbs so fitting onto the floor to look under the dash is not exactly comfortable or practical.

I have done it ti try and do this work but just cant long enough to make progress.

I took the dash gauges out but that is limited access as well.

I will keep thinking how to do this

Thanks though
Brian

Hey Brian..... Good to see you enoying your bus..... Looking forward to your brake and rim upgrade with interest.... About to entre into that task myself!!!!

As for the dash idea...... I had to pull the (non laminated) windscreen on my 68 to replace the seal and do a little rust repair, so I pulled the dash top and reco'd all and sundry while I was there..... For ease of servicing and the cheapness of a new seal, I'd pull the screen and be done with it....

Just found this site for air conditioning "swamp cooler" for my bus in the 110 degree Sacramento summers.

Anyone use this type in their bus, or similar coolers?

alex4057 said:

Cheers

Alex

I took the whole dash out of mine with the screen in :? What a b*stard to get back in!!!! :suicide:

Karl

Latest posts