My First Restoration!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyde

Reaction score
Hey there every one. We're new to this forum.

Just bought this RHD '72' tin top. She's in a bit of a state with a good few holes.

This is our first Vdub and our first resto job.

What do you guys think?

She's a really beauty!! the previous owners daughter got happy with the stickers LOL!!

IMG_0115.jpg

Got these thrown in as part of the deal!!

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Also got this engine hood thrown in too!

IMG_0092.jpg

Not sure what they were trying to do here?

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pics but they were taken from my phone.

I'll post some more up when i can and when we start restoring her!

Any advise would be gratefull!
Cheers

.........And your sanity!

Check the man aboves ^^^^ gallery thread for inspiration.

Good luck with it.

Just

Get stuck in! Someone somewhere on this forum will have already come across the problems you are going to run up against. Certainly the help I have been given by the guys here has been priceless. And keep the pics coming.... it helps the ones with rusty buses cope as we know we are not alone!

Welcome jerseyde,Thanks for sharing pics. there will be times when you think "why didn't I get a normal car" but when its done you'll be so glad you're not driving round in a normal car.good on ya and keep the pics coming.you won't find a better forum :mrgreen:

regards - Rob

Hi again.

Thanks for all the comments, no doubt i'll be asking people on here for advise on any problems we encounter along the way.

Its going to be a slow build but iam sure it'll be worth it in the end!!!

I'll keep posting pics as we go along.

Cheers

Welcome and looking forward to your trials and tribulations :mrgreen:

jerseyde said:
it'll be worth it in the end!!!

Cheers

It will be worth it and that's what you need to tell yourself when you are having a bad day. Good luck dude!!!

welcome to the world of Air Cooled

was in the same boat about 7 months ago, just made a list of evrything it needs then got stuck in (need to post some pics one day)

got all my inspiration off here reading others resto threads, all the help you will need is on here in one thread or another

get started, so you can get on and enjoy :D

Hello Jerseyde and welcome. :D

I see you have a Danbury converted bus there... although going by the interior photo of the rear, little remains of the original Danbury fittings.

I look forward to following your progress with the restoration! :)

Fingers crossed i'll be starting it soon. Got it parked up in my space at home at the moment, but i'm hoping to move it to my friends lock up where i can stripping it down. He's a a welder so he'll give me a hand.

The misses will be in charge of the interior (although i'll have an input too) ;) . She's got a few idea's at the moment but nothing set in stone.

I'm like a kid at the moment, buying bit's and bob's from various websites, although the main things i'm concentrating on are body panels.

Where is the best place to buy panels from? or should i shop around for the cheapest?

Oh and i came across the M-Plate decoding website, found some interesting things out on there. Cool Website!!

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and your first Bay restoration!

For panels if its possible to get the panel you need as an off cut from one of the many importers you will find the fit and quality so much better than repro bits. Then i'd check out some resto's from this site to see how to go about doing the work, one thread pointed to this page about using a repro front panel: http://retrocustom.com/mainportal/i...rticle&id=185:1972-bay&catid=45&Itemid=100003

And keep the questions coming, everyone is really helpful here

Cheers for the link cyberdyne systems.

I'm sure i'll be a regular on that website.

Latest posts