My oil cooler has split again! Any ideas why?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhodes4130

Reaction score
I've just started my van up for 1st time this yr it tuned over a few times then fired up all things good till I went round back to see oil pissing out looking like oil cooler again
I had this problem about 2yrs ago took engine out and replaced I just put it down to dodgy cooler but looks like its done it again!
Anyone any ideas why they are splitting or what causes them to split so I can make sure the next one doesn't
It's a fairly normal 1600 twin port btw
Any advice appreciated
Cheers
Tony

Cold oil is very thick and will be under a lot of pressure. You can fit a bypass thermostat from Mocal that keeps the cooler out of the circuit until the oil is hot enough too need cooling, by then it will be a lot thiner and under lower pressure. This is assuming you are running a remote cooler that is.
No suggestions if it is the standard cooler.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

pressure relief valve (or valves if dual pressure) is sticking or completely stuck, it operates when you first start engine to bypass oil cooler (i think) when oil is thick, look in manual it tells you what it does. Anyway if it sticks it pressurises the system and cooler is weakest point and it splits it or if you are lucky blows a seal. use a big flat bladed screw driver and remove the cap, be careful the spring will come out and in case the plunger does pop out but if it doesn't it is hollow you can gently wind a bolt into it a couple of threads and pull it out . clean any scores off with fine wet and dry and check bore in case aswell.

hogseye said:
pressure relief valve (or valves if dual pressure) is sticking or completely stuck, it operates when you first start engine to bypass oil cooler (i think) when oil is thick, look in manual it tells you what it does. Anyway if it sticks it pressurises the system and cooler is weakest point and it splits it or if you are lucky blows a seal. use a big flat bladed screw driver and remove the cap, be careful the spring will come out and in case the plunger does pop out but if it doesn't it is hollow you can gently wind a bolt into it a couple of threads and pull it out . clean any scores off with fine wet and dry and check bore in case aswell.

This ^^

(check both valves are working)

oiling_system.jpg

Cheers for that guys that defo sound about right I remember now I had a ball ache taking one of them out when I stripped engine before, I cleaned it up then, maybe not enough tho

Yeah it's just the std cooler and I've been using the morris golden film sae 30 oil

Cheers again will have a look when I can get engine out!!
Tony

Latest posts