My westy, Ellie the earlybay.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigbear said:
myvanway 69 said:
Yor should have a few mm movement as the holes are elongated.
If not i put 2 washers in the front holes both sides to tilt it away from the bumper.
:)
Nice work Brett
Ahhhh, you mean slide the whole bumper forward a few mm? I've already put a washer each side to drop it down a touch.

I had same issue with there sitting on the front panel, Theres loads of movement on the rears!?

Yes, slacken off all 8 bolts pull the bumper forward as much as you can, put some packers in the gap both sides to keep it even, I put 2 washers on the first hole both sides on the bumper irons to
push the bumper down, then tighten back up. left a 5mm gap. :D

Looks sweet Brett. 8)

Replaced the manky rear valance bolts for some stainless ones
Before
FD9A5B9E-1812-4743-9040-261F8EF60512-11813-00000C3CB9E42006.jpg

After
CBE5C6E7-F821-49AB-804E-0BA73AE33ED4-11813-00000C39579F5DFF.jpg

Look alot better I think. Also fitted a fire extinguisher
961550FD-92A9-434F-831A-29A68EECA14F-11813-00000C3A3CCB6067.jpg

I then fitted another two audio exciters in the rear of the bus, the first one I fitted behind the drivers seat which sounds quite bassy as It uses the buddy seat as a sort of bass box.
26873753-32C4-4CE9-9327-29052FA9CD01-11813-00000C3A29531C49.jpg

The next one I fitted at the rear of the bus between the two roof skins, this one sounds really good as its such a big area being used . I've found that the best thing to fit to is metal as it creates the clearer and louder sound.
205C2B35-C1E6-4CA6-A069-E8A7F8F77DA7-11813-00000C3A04A3BD8C.jpg

I ran the cable along the inside of the headlining and down the stink pipe.
11675460-1D27-4CE0-816A-705AA10C8074-11813-00000C39A95B3E3E.jpg

I now have what I consider to be z very good sound system and not a speaker in site!

Hi,

Ideal! Have you ran the speakers from a 4 channel head unit? I have left, right, front and rear, plus sub out. (maybe for the buddy box with a little amp?)

Was thinking front doors, and rear roof? Do the panels have to be separate, ie, if 2 exciters were fitted on the same panel, would it sound odd?

Nice and hidden, i bet it sounds great?!

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi Al,
I think you will need separate panels as they uses the panel as a speaker cone in effect, vibrating the panel to move air to make the noise.

Cheers Sam

aogrady said:
Hi,

Ideal! Have you ran the speakers from a 4 channel head unit? I have left, right, front and rear, plus sub out. (maybe for the buddy box with a little amp?)

Was thinking front doors, and rear roof? Do the panels have to be separate, ie, if 2 exciters were fitted on the same panel, would it sound odd?

Nice and hidden, i bet it sounds great?!

Cheers!

Alistair
It does sound really good in my opinion, ( I do think you sacrifice a little bit of sound quality in all honesty, but I'd do that rather than cut my interior up)
I have a four channel head unit with sub out aswell, however I don't think I need a sub as its already bassy enough for me, if your sat on the bed the sound is brilliant as the whole roof above you is effectively a speaker.

I can't recommend these enough fellas, I'm sure some people wouldn't agree with me but it all depends on what you want.

*Sam* said:
Hi Al,
I think you will need separate panels as they uses the panel as a speaker cone in effect, vibrating the panel to move air to make the noise.

Cheers Sam

Yeah I wouldn't put two on one panel, it wouldn't double the sound I don't think as its the item you attach them to that becomes the speaker, therefore I think there would be a limit to what that surface can produce depending on the flexabilty etc of that surface.

Hope that makes sense?

Hi,

Yep, i understand, i thought that was`likely to be the case. How does it sound when one panel, i.e the roof is the speaker, compared to having left and right speakers? Does it sound a bit like mono? Or not, as there is a`larger surface area`of sound? Can you tell its in stereo?

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi,

Yep, i understand, i thought that was`likely to be the case. How does it sound when one panel, i.e the roof is the speaker, compared to having left and right speakers? Does it sound a bit like mono? Or not, as there is a`larger surface area`of sound? Can you tell its in stereo?

Cheers!

Alistair
The roof is the better sounding panel I think, as there is a good balance between bass,treble and pitch, the door speakers don't sound fantastic but are good enough, the speaker behind the drivers seat (pushing the sound into the buddy seat) is also better than the doors. When I get time I'm going to have a play around and try balancing the speakers out a bit, maybe put more through the rear roof than the doors to make the sound travel better (if that makes sense)

The problem is, it sounds different depending on where you are in the bus, if your in the rear it sounds awesome,as its coming from above you, whereas if your in the front you can tell the sound is coming from low down, I've got to try and find happy medium. I may even move the speaker from behind the drivers seat and put it above the cab, I'm not sure that would be any good though as there is no steel there just ply lining. (Doesn't travel as well through ply as it does steel.

I think a try on the cab roof ply would be good That board is under tension due to the curve of the roof meaning its a stiffer material.

Bigbear said:
aogrady said:
Hi,

Cheers!

Alistair
The roof is the better sounding panel I think, as there is a good balance between bass,treble and pitch, the door speakers don't sound fantastic but are good enough, the speaker behind the drivers seat (pushing the sound into the buddy seat) is also better than the doors. When I get time I'm going to have a play around and try balancing the speakers out a bit, maybe put more through the rear roof than the doors to make the sound travel better (if that makes sense)

The problem is, it sounds different depending on where you are in the bus, if your in the rear it sounds awesome,as its coming from above you, whereas if your in the front you can tell the sound is coming from low down, I've got to try and find happy medium. I may even move the speaker from behind the drivers seat and put it above the cab, I'm not sure that would be any good though as there is no steel there just ply lining. (Doesn't travel as well through ply as it does steel.

Cool, i get a idea now, think i may try on both seat bulkheads, rear roof maybe poptop. As you said, will just try different surfaces till i get a good sound.

Cheers!

Alistair

Not much going on with the westy at the moment, due to the arrival of my daughter, Edith Violet Hawes born 10:10am 17/4/2013 weighing 6lb 11oz, chuffed is not the word!!!!
628807F2-DE0E-44BE-8D4B-B149D2297899-9435-0000088C96FFE71F.jpg

55CB76A3-E3FF-4F90-9275-D4F9DCABA8BD-10800-000009E2FCC1DE56.jpg

Glorious day on sunny sheppey today, so we decided to throw a picnic together and head up the beach with the little one, nice chilled out day.
2CB40C3D-33F7-4C37-B55B-28074BF7CB26-16464-00000EC05F3704C2.jpg

0CFDC7F0-831E-4C73-914A-E46D94FC1FB9-16464-00000EC0150349FA-1.jpg

7564AE45-9E9A-4C6E-8DD3-3E1D99EDB643-16464-00000EBFE0DAEBE0.jpg

Yeah first trip out,not to far though, attempted to go out a few days back but discovered the baby seat wouldn't fit anywhere! Got that all sorted not though (T4 belt in the front, belt extension for the rear)
We've still got to get all our camping kit ready before we go anywhere to far, (could have murdered a cuppa earlier!) :lol:

The bus will certainly be getting used at every opportunity, can't wait to get down to Cornwall!
The wife has also got family in France, some in Lyon and some in Bandol (next to the Paul Ricarde circuit 8) ) so well be heading that way for sure.

And of course, we shall be attended as many shows as possible.

Latest posts