My westy, Ellie the earlybay.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beautiful bus there mate !
sterling work going on it too ,well done.
every time i read a thread like yours it makes me wish i'd saved up and bought a solid import, not a rusty uk bus ! :lol:

squirt72 said:
beautiful bus there mate !
sterling work going on it too ,well done.
every time i read a thread like yours it makes me wish i'd saved up and bought a solid import, not a rusty uk bus ! :lol:
Cheers mate, she's coming along nicely and slowly turning into the bus I've always wanted. I'd been looking for a westy for 3-4 years! But the longer I left it the higher my budget became. I started out looking at uk buses that needed work, then buses that had work done (most of them badly!) then I was lucky enough that everyone gave us money towards a bus as a wedding gift, that gave us enough of a boost to be able to pay out for a decent solid bus.

Were very lucky to have such good friends and family. :D

Hi!

Looking great!

Question, what's a audio exciter?

F58BAA6E-056D-4242-9DCC-EE66D3E1BBF3-3955-00000347FE8DC0AB.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:
Hi!

Looking great!

Question, what's a audio exciter?

F58BAA6E-056D-4242-9DCC-EE66D3E1BBF3-3955-00000347FE8DC0AB.jpg

Cheers!

Alistair
I was advised to give them a try before cutting my interior to pieces to fit speakers.
They turn whatever they are attached to into a speaker, it's a bit strange and a don't fully understand it. I watched a few videos on you tube and they look quite good, for £28 each il give them a try in the hope that I don't have to cut my door cards etc up. In the videos they seem to work very well when attached to box like items, when you consider what the westy interior is made up of these should work well. Il update further once they're fitted.

I was advised to give them a try before cutting my interior to pieces to fit speakers.
They turn whatever they are attached to into a speaker, it's a bit strange and a don't fully understand it. I watched a few videos on you tube and they look quite good, for £28 each il give them a try in the hope that I don't have to cut my door cards etc up. In the videos they seem to work very well when attached to box like items, when you consider what the westy interior is made up of these should work well. Il update further once they're fitted.

Sounds interesting....I might give it a google - for the science bit....

Interesting to how how these these work in the bus.

Cheers!

Alistair

aogrady said:

Cheers!

Alistair
Well I wired in my stereo yesterday haven't fitted the exciter things yet as I've not got enough cable, however, being the big kid that I am I had to wire one up to see what they were like. They are extremely quiet until you attach them to something and then they sound great, I just rested one on the glovebox and it sounded great, then an empty box which sounded even better! It's yet to be seen what they perform like inside the door cards but il wire them in over the weekend and make my mind up from there, il keep you updated.

Bigbear said:
aogrady said:

Cheers!

Alistair
Well I wired in my stereo yesterday haven't fitted the exciter things yet as I've not got enough cable, however, being the big kid that I am I had to wire one up to see what they were like. They are extremely quiet until you attach them to something and then they sound great, I just rested one on the glovebox and it sounded great, then an empty box which sounded even better! It's yet to be seen what they perform like inside the door cards but il wire them in over the weekend and make my mind up from there, il keep you updated.

So they sound like speakers? Bass and treble?

Alistair

Hi Al, it was me that suggested them to Big Bear as I have the smaller ones in my van.
I suggested getting the bigger ones as I felt that whilst providing a great tone with good EQ adjustment I needed a little more power in a camper.
What you need to consider is what you fix them to as that become the equivalent of the speaker cone.

My plan is to get 2 of the larger ones like Big Bare and fit them to new door cards or 1 in the cab plywood roof panel and the other I'm undecided. I am then thinking of mounting the smaller to shorter ( so stiffer) ply boards to make them more of a tweeter although this may just make the quite ( all trial and error)

In principle they are simply the driver from a normal speaker so the more air you move (bigger board that they are attached to) the more bass will be produced ( within its limits) add a sealed box area like a door or glove box or purpose built box and hey presto you have a bass bin of sorts.

It's all trial and error but I think you can a great sound and without cutting large holes and I hope for less cash.

My brother in law sells electronic item and has seen a van kitted out with these by a professional and he said it was really good.

Hope this helps if you guys find new stuff out about them and usability then make sure post up on here so we all know.

Good luck big beat looking forward to your report on these.

Sam

As I said earlier ice got to go out and get some more speaker cable before I try on any van surfaces, I just had a length of cable about two foot long to play with, I bought the bigger sized exciters as suggested by Sam, if they're good il but another two for the rear of the van.

I like the fact that they are hidden away and nothing needs butchering to fit them.

Hi,

These seem like a really neat idea, would love to hear what they sound like. You say bolt to wooden bits, so what do you think about a westy wardrobe and buddy seat then? Do you need to have them mounted like speakers - i.e to get stereo separation? I just have a pair of 6x9's in some boxes behind the seats, but not ideal.

I have some component speakers to mount somewhere, but loathed to hack my cards about, and i have a little suitcase project on the cards anyway, so that'll put paid for my speakers.

I'm going have a look around at these on the net, but fitting them hiden like into my wardrobe and buddy seat etc sound great - just have now idea what sound to expect. I can get it round my head any sound will come out, i can only imagine speaker cones moving to make the sound, it's the wooden bit that has me confused - as i mentioned earlier, i'll go and look out for the science bit!

Keep us posted - maybe start a new thread just on this?

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Al, where do you live your welcome to come and listen to mine.
I can view that clip on my phone but I'm sue it will sound good.
When you say mount to the Westy interior I'm not sure that will work to well as the wood is so thick and won't move much, however I think the wood headlining will be spot on.

You should hold one against the interior though and try it, you never know it may be brilliant.

*Sam* said:
Hi Al, where do you live your welcome to come and listen to mine.
I can view that clip on my phone but I'm sue it will sound good.
When you say mount to the Westy interior I'm not sure that will work to well as the wood is so thick and won't move much, however I think the wood headlining will be spot on.

You should hold one against the interior though and try it, you never know it may be brilliant.

Hi,

I'm in Devon, so not local to you unfortunately. I see your point about the wood, too thick...Hmm, might work in the wooden roof - or fibreglass pop top maybe.

Looks like i may just have to buy some and find out. Maybe just use these for treble, the roof may be a good idea, and perhaps a sub for the lows.....?

Maybe i need a sub buddy box (ear's up myvanway69!)

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi,

I created a new thread for these speaker exciters if it's usefull to collate info there...

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that is ok?

Alistair

So..... I got round to fitting the sound exciters today, and I'm so happy with them that I'm ordering two more!
5B519FD3-1760-46AC-BFC8-EE765009984B-6369-0000061EA5E4B648.jpg

I tried fitting to the door card but the sound wasn't great, so I stuck the speakers to the back of the solid panel above
8726F86D-B5E0-4116-8A34-E817E625082E-6369-0000061EBAB11AFB.jpg

I used double sided sticky foam type stuff, it works really well. I've got great sound with no distortion and its amazingly loud considering how small they are, and the best bit is that there's no cutting of door cards etc.

And also I fitted my over riders today.
4F60FA20-E239-4CDD-A7DA-CDD9F103F3C3-6369-0000061F381A2A03.jpg

0E698869-087F-4F4B-B7AC-581333A4A0BD-6369-0000061F60F425CC.jpg

47587754-C446-4A11-BD68-A563FC87A03C-6369-0000061F921F2108.jpg

F242179E-BC5D-4D71-BAF6-EBA000BCBE3A-6369-0000061FF4A038B3.jpg

E72E6411-AEEA-4F24-B693-6EA8D6C02160-6369-00000620E307A50C.jpg

They were a pain in the arse to fit!! After I'd fitted them I stepped back to look at them and they were pissed on the front, I think one is slightly out of shape which makes it foul the front panel as you tighten it up, either that or my front panel is slightly out of shape?

Yor should have a few mm movement as the holes are elongated.
If not i put 2 washers in the front holes both sides to tilt it away from the bumper.
:)
Nice work Brett

myvanway 69 said:
Yor should have a few mm movement as the holes are elongated.
If not i put 2 washers in the front holes both sides to tilt it away from the bumper.
:)
Nice work Brett
Ahhhh, you mean slide the whole bumper forward a few mm? I've already put a washer each side to drop it down a touch.

Latest posts