New engine and metal in carb - help :-(

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thegibbon

Reaction score
I've just had a new 1914 engine dropped into my westy to replace my 1641 coupled with a pair of IDF 40's. It was idling poorly and backfiring so on the advice of the mechanics I pulled the carbs at 500 miles to check the float levels and found this welded onto the back right throttle plate :?

Ive a malpassi in between the pump and the carbs so it couldn't have come from the tank...

Paranoid that it might have blown back from the cylinder and the engine isn't happy. It wasn't running hot before this just the backfiring when foot off the gas.

Anyone seen anything similar?

There's a sizable nugget there. I've never seen anything like that before, were the manifolds ported/polished?

Is it still backfiring?

Hi the manifolds weren't ported just a pair of CSP ones which I didn't check that well when I fitted just dropped them in with the new carbs. Which i won't do again.

I'm just swapping out the Venturis for 30's rather than 28's this weekend so will let you know if it's still backfiring. The floats were way off so that probably didn't help eother.

Cheers for the reply..

sorry i cant be of any help i had a similar new 1915 turn key, i had no issues with it at all. I had 44's and was EFI. Was the engine run in at all before you got it? I would have assumed the builder would have done a few oil changes which would stop any metal getting around the system. Magnetic sump plug is a good investment. Although id be really surprised at anything getting past the piston rings so its more likely to have come from the manifolds back to the carb?

I'm running a tune+123 dizzy and have a gene berg stick and so far all fine with the temperature but you're right it's worth checking.

I'm thinking an air leak is chasing the backfiring and maybe I didn't check the manifolds before I put on the van.

If I work it out I'll post a response if others have the same issue.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated

Latest posts