New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of feels compulsory to drop in on this thread as part of the registration process!

Rich, Chelmsford, 30 something. Bought my 68 bay back in 2007 (coincidentally from that bloke in Yorkshire who has just made the news for all the wrong reasons), used it thoroughly that year as it was, then put it up on my mums drive when me and the missus went away in 2008 and there it's stayed until recently. We've now got a 2 year old, so have just uncovered it and about to embark on a process of making it family friendly and usable as a daily runner. Which is when I stumbled across this place, as I start my research.

It's in reasonable nick, all things considered. Savannah beige, small pop top, most of the original westy interior is there.

Expect lots and lots of questions and recommendations in the coming weeks and months! Seems friendly and knowledgable enough on here from what I've briefly seen so far, so looks like I've come to the right place.

Rich [Bot said:
"]Kind of feels compulsory to drop in on this thread as part of the registration process!

Rich, Chelmsford, 30 something. Bought my 68 bay back in 2007 (coincidentally from that bloke in Yorkshire who has just made the news for all the wrong reasons), used it thoroughly that year as it was, then put it up on my mums drive when me and the missus went away in 2008 and there it's stayed until recently. We've now got a 2 year old, so have just uncovered it and about to embark on a process of making it family friendly and usable as a daily runner. Which is when I stumbled across this place, as I start my research.

It's in reasonable nick, all things considered. Savannah beige, small pop top, most of the original westy interior is there.

Expect lots and lots of questions and recommendations in the coming weeks and months! Seems friendly and knowledgable enough on here from what I've briefly seen so far, so looks like I've come to the right place.

Hello and welcome :D any pics ?

Shaun

Hi all.

I have just purchased my first bus. A 1969 Danbury conversion call Bryan. He is in need of total bottom half resto, however the engine turns over and runs well so it is just a lot of welding and replacement pannels for me...

I look forward to reading and absorbing your post info.

Regards,

Pro

provost said:
Hi all.

I have just purchased my first bus. A 1969 Danbury conversion call Bryan. He is in need of total bottom half resto, however the engine turns over and runs well so it is just a lot of welding and replacement pannels for me...

Regards,

Pro

Hello and welcome :D any pics :D

Hello :D
New to Early Bay, but have had my 72 crossover since '97, spent a fortune on it, still looks like a moving shed, but I love it!!
After a few years of inactivity on the van, we have been working frantically to install a stereo system before Alive n VDubbin, get all the MOT work done, retest on Thursday, fingers crossed...
B.jpg

Mornin all, what a fab looking bus :mrgreen: Good luck with the re test and hope to see you at a few shows this year. AND all the other new peeps :shock: This is what we like,,,,,,, A nice piccy to ease your way in :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just one ??? A couple wouldn`t of hurt,,,, bit tight round here :lol: ;) :lol:

Hello All :mrgreen: new to EB but some of you may know me from other forums

I'm Ben, I'm 38 and live in Leicestershire with my girlfriend Emilie. We've recently bought a '72 RHD crossover pop-top 8)

I've had a couple of bays before (but not in the last 10 years) and I also own a sea sand '66 bug, another '66 pearl white bug which is my long term project, a black '73 VW/Porsche 914-4s and an '01 T4 2.5 TDi panel van which I was going to convert into a camper but will be selling now we have the bay. With my daily hack that 6 vehicles now and we're certainly running short of space! :lol:

This is our bay... quite rotten but hopefully useable once I've got it MOT'd. First task is to get it through an MOT, then we can hopefully use it a couple of times this Summer before starting a rolling resto of the bodywork over Autumn/Winter.

359523f0.jpg

In usual crossover style, it's early front, late rear. I'm still unsure what conversion it started out as... a Devon or a Danbury? The pop-top appears original but I thought EBs had concertina sides so I'm not too sure :?

The interior looks to be from a later bay... maybe a Viking. I'll take some pics when I get a chance and hopefully folks can help me identify it.

One cool thing is that although it's a walk-through, it came with an original VW accessory middle seat which I've not seen before 8)

Bodywork wise, it's not too pretty. Some work has been done around the front arches but the front panel, gutters, roof, rear quarters, sliding door and tailgate will all need quite a bit of work...

dfa14739.jpg

fd1a5bc7.jpg

underneath, it's been repaired several times. The chassis rails and cross-members have all had extensive welding which looks ugly as but in the main, seems solid

548f9453.jpg

79e6c298.jpg

036ca26d.jpg

Once I've had time to get to grips with our new purchase, I'll no doubt be on here asking endless questions... sorry 'bout that! :lol:

68_early_bay said:
provost said:
Hi all.

Regards,

Pro

Hello and welcome :D any pics :D

I would love to add them however the board limit has been reached. lol

Will try later

Hi fellas, maybe `not' having a camper is the smart move at the moment :shock: I know some extraordinary mad things that are off camping any time now in a force umpteen something gale with liquid sunshine in vast quantities sure to be on its way, in a bonkers old bus that leaks like a seive and may need a gazebo put up over the top to stop the bus from drowning :roll: But hey,,,,,,,, we call it fun :lol: And with the photos thingy, it will always say that because it needs the photos to be put on photobucket or similar first. There are a few `how to`s' spread around the site that will give you more detail on posting photos. Seems real complicated at first, but tisn`t ;) even I can manage it after someone showed me :roll: So good luck with the search for a van, and good luck with posting photys :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Off camping now aka swimming lessons aka hang gliding aka NOT WORKING :mrgreen: :lol: 8) :lol: :mrgreen:

Hi all, just seen this so thought i'd post before i get flamed! Been into dubs for a long time, pre bugjam 1, back in the old VW Action days. I've had a few, still do, an oval,(very long term project, since I was 15) Late crew cab and an early bay ex westy. I also have a 40 ford sedan as i'm also into hot rods. I am lucky in that my wife is also into them, and has a 64 Razor Edge and a GP buggy. All this lot are projects, nothing actually on the road, tho i hope to get the Westy out in a few months, if it stops raining! (doing this one on my drive)

<==== this guy is NEW!!!

Hey everyone Im Jason aka Hellaslow... i have a couple acvw's including a 71 westy...

i have a 1600sp, mk5 jetta wheels w/ 27in a/t tires and beetle rear coilover shocks up front
bus.jpg

Hellaslow said:
<==== this guy is NEW!!!

Hey everyone Im Jason aka Hellaslow... i have a couple acvw's including a 71 westy...

i have a 1600sp, mk5 jetta wheels w/ 27in a/t tires and beetle rear coilover shocks up front
bus.jpg

you ever get a nose bleed in that thing? :lol:

looks cool as really. 8)

Hi everyone, not quite new to Early-Bay but trying to be a poster rather than a lurker! :msn4:

I'm Steve, currently living in Lincoln and this is my first VW. I have posted pictures of my restoration over in the gallery.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This 'arty' shot :msn4: is me and my girls on our first outing.

1stCampingTrip16811039.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some of you around this year. I'v booked club camping at Camperjam and dont want to be a billy no mates so please say Hi

Steve

Thanks Johnny. He's a Hungarian Vizsla (difficult to tell on a black and white picture!) and always on the look out for something more interesting. Hence the hand strategically positioned ready to grab his collar!!

Latest posts