New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all!

I'm Del, I'm 42 and live in Forest Gate in East London.
I don't have a Bay (whether early or late), nor indeed a van of any sort but a friend posted some pics of the (late) Bay that they had hired, and that itch has come back! I say 'come back', because I did once have a Bay, a 1971 Dormobile, which I had for far too brief a time. I know it's still taxed and wondered where it might be these days. I did search for 'Dormobile' but 267 pages is quite a lot to wade through :D

So anyway, hi for now, and I'm off to have a look around, and post up a description of my old van to see if someone recognises it!

Hello,,,

Im 40 years old and I live in sweden,,I have a 72 kleinbuss,,and a 74 pick up,,and a 62 beetle,,,the buss is going to be on the road next summer,,,the pick up is a daily driver right now,,and the beetle is soon on the road too,,

Hello from Sweden! (Hej BjörnJ in previous post!)
I am 41 years (wow that went fast ;) ), proud owner of a 68 Kombi/Panel (hack by some previous owner)

The bus used to belong to a buddy of mine, and i borrowed it for a camping trip in the mid nineties and i was hooked, later he sold it to me for i think it was somewhere around 200£ in the late 90's (that's what friends are for eh?) I did renovate the brakes and changed the exhaust, i couldn't get the brakes to not pull right so it would never pass inspection and long story short it ended up parked at my parents house for a couple of years, when we bought a house i put in the barn where it has been standing for about 8 years.

Finally i have started working on it again and i love it, i wish i could spend more time on it but as usual life gets in the way, especially faulty daily drivers that needs urgent work and lots of money thrown onto them :(
I hope to get it safe and in working condition for camping trips this summer, i have to go through the brakes, fuel system and there is some beams that has to get fixed. I do have to change the horrendous tail lights also, some previous owner i guess liked the modern look of the late bay and replaced the lights with some kind of trailer lights bought at a gas station :evil:

The plan is to have a rolling restoration and the cosmetics has to wait until the fall. I'll fix the rust on the "panels" though otherwise i will not get the rest of the family with me camping ;)
And of course the "modern" tail lights has to go!!

I don't mind the panels since i love panel vans, i would never ever do it to a bay myself but since the damage is done i will keep them, i actually think it looks good, well except the rust...

Well since you are all drooling in anticipation for pics of the beauty here ya go!!

Note the professional conversion of rear windows to panels, and the lovely lovely tail lights.
Bussbakjpg.jpg

Some rot, not too shabby though, it has undercoating that seems to be mostly intact, the jacking points as to be replaced though and i'll probably will find much more as i dig into it...
P4190215.jpg

Closeup of tail light, note that it got fixed with a piece that does not fit, excellent!
P4190223.jpg

This is what i am aiming for somewhere down the line.
Buss.png

That's it for now, i'll be posting in the gallery as i go along and will torment you with questions and you will tell me to use the search function.

Hi, not exactly a newbie but never actually said Hi.

This is my wife and daughter,
Oct2009001.jpg

My daughter growing up fast.
June2010023.jpg

And this is me, over the moon with my second bus.
DSC_0433.jpg

Then, last June disaster struck....
June2010025.jpg

VWStuff002.jpg

Insurance eventually dished out, but wanted silly money for me to buy 'Mr Rooster' back, so eventually bought something different from a couple in Brizzle.
April2012004.jpg

I have been slowly replacing all the rubbers to make 'Miss Molly' water tight and in the near future want to upgrade to a Gene Berg shifter, maybe some red rims or sprintstars? & generally tidy up the interiors upholstery etc.

Might see you on our first outing in her - VanWest!

Tony.

Hi folks,got recommended this place just joined it looks fab and full of great advise!!! ;) will post picks of my van @ the wkend :D.

Then, last June disaster struck....
June2010025.jpg

VWStuff002.jpg

:cry: ............ :D !!!!! 8)

Insurance eventually dished out, but wanted silly money for me to buy 'Mr Rooster' back, so eventually bought something different from a couple in Brizzle.
April2012004.jpg

I have been slowly replacing all the rubbers to make 'Miss Molly' water tight and in the near future want to upgrade to a Gene Berg shifter, maybe some red rims or sprintstars? & generally tidy up the interiors upholstery etc.

Might see you on our first outing in her - VanWest!

Tony.[/quote]

Hi All
Have been reading the forum for a few months and enjoying the banter, plus the help and advice.
Had a crossover a long time ago then many years without an aircooled. Bought a Type 3 Fasty a couple of years ago to see if that satisfied the itch but it didn't ;) so I've gone back to a crossover :p (Pics for Ozziedog!!)

DSC03953.jpg

Here they are together - the Fasty is for sale on the T3T4 Forum if anyone is interested! I just can't justify having them both and don't have the space either, although I'd like to really.

DSC03967.jpg

Hope to make it to Stanford Hall next weekend if it ever stops raining :cry:

DSC03954.jpg

DSC03962.jpg

EarlyBay Bill said:
Hi All
Have been reading the forum for a few months and enjoying the banter, plus the help and advice.
Had a crossover a long time ago then many years without an aircooled. Bought a Type 3 Fasty a couple of years ago to see if that satisfied the itch but it didn't ;) so I've gone back to a crossover :p (Pics for Ozziedog!!)

DSC03953.jpg

Here they are together - the Fasty is for sale on the T3T4 Forum if anyone is interested! I just can't justify having them both and don't have the space either, although I'd like to really.

DSC03967.jpg

Hope to make it to Stanford Hall next weekend if it ever stops raining :cry:

DSC03954.jpg

DSC03962.jpg

Hi there welcome,
Nice bus thought I recognised it :lol: was my bro in laws mates, From notts :lol:

Well you lot, what a luvverly bunch of photographs and I`m flattered to get a mention :mrgreen: You lot been busy sneaking on board while I been away at work :lol: A damn good move I`d say :lol: And whatever is the big idea there then ???? Sneaking good looking vans out of Brizzle ???? Some fine looking machinery there gang. If you stand on tippy toes in the morning and stare off into the distance,,,,,,,,,,, you`ll just about see the summer slowly making his way over to the dubbing community. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, AND,, about time too 8) :mrgreen: 8)

Hi

New to the forum, recently bought a restored 1971 westy, still finding our feet with the old boy so look forward to reading the forums and getting useful information from those much. Ore knowledgeable than me!

Kris

Hi All! I am so glad to find this site - I can't believe I've had "Bess" 5 years and only come across this site as I'm thinking of selling :cry: She started like this:

bess1.jpg

went for a rebuild:
144.jpg

and this is how she is now
front2.jpg

interior.jpg

I'm happy to be here and I might see a few of you out and about over the summer :D

Hi there dudes and dudetts :D

I actually own a late bay :shock: but after joining the late bay forum and constantly getting abuse for running a narrowed beam, I thought I'd come say hi over here to hopefully a more friendly bunch.

Anyways I'm rob, Howdy!

Hi I'm new here. Had my 71 Kombi for about 2 years now. Never actually driven it myself yet. Running out of steam with it now, especially after having bought a recon engine, and it going bang after 80 miles! Was hoping to get some support on here and maybe a kick up the arse. I'm ordering a brand new engine tomorrow as I really don't want to get bitten again. Trying to get pics up.

Adam Foster said:
Hi I'm new here. Had my 71 Kombi for about 2 years now. Never actually driven it myself yet. Running out of steam with it now, especially after having bought a recon engine, and it going bang after 80 miles! Was hoping to get some support on here and maybe a kick up the arse. I'm ordering a brand new engine tomorrow as I really don't want to get bitten again. Trying to get pics up.

Welcome Adam...not much ass-kicking on Earlybay but you'll get plenty of enthusiastic encouragement ...but we need pics.
Where's the new engine coming from ? if from VWHeritage speak to Alex hes on here & works at VWH could get a bit of discount :)

Timshel said:
Here was my last reply from thelatebay!
6c951547.jpg

:confused0068:

Hi

Welcome along to the forum, shame that someone has spoiled your experience of them, looks on the face of it a bit vzi? I only go on there to sell a few bits, and that has caused grief, your more than welcome here, , lets see a few pics then, i looked at yours on the late bay, but some of us haven't got access to the forum, and we like pictures here, and you will get good sound advice too - even if it's late! ;)

Cheers

Alistair

Latest posts