New to Westies! Old to the Scene!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who?

Reaction score
I have just bought my first Westy, hopefully it will arrive on Saturday!

Dunno too much about it yet other than it is original interior and solid underneath. It sat on a Cali driveway for two years before coming to the UK...

You may have seen it at VF last weekend.....

15092008198.jpg

15092008203.jpg

15092008180.jpg

Hello mate and welcome to the fold. Good choice on ya van, now sit down, scan the site and ask as many questions as you like. We are here to help the way of the early bay 8)

Thanks Easy, I am a bit lost as to what to tackle first with this bay...I have been a bug man for the last seventeen years :eek:

My first thought is to keep her as original as possible, lowered gently and give her a set of out of the norm wheels!

Any ideas greatly received.... :roll:

I have some more photo's

15092008199.jpg

15092008212.jpg

15092008196.jpg

15092008194.jpg

Will try to update as things progress...

Cheers
Matt :lol:

First thing i'd do is wax underneath and in all the box sections, it wont take long in our weather to ruin what you have otherwise.

Is it on the road or do you need to MOT and register it?

Another thing i'd do also is remove that fuel filter, its not in a good place - VW never fitted one like that so just plumb it out, we don't want to see a van go up!

Gareth

Well the sun has been kind to us today, managed to strip the interior and find some good metal...

And not so good metal...Bondo on the side panels and....rolled up newspaper in front of the rear wheel arches!!

She is from Florida and ain't bad for a 38yr old!

21092008002.jpg

21092008005.jpg

21092008008.jpg

21092008010.jpg

21092008014.jpg

21092008015.jpg

21092008017.jpg

21092008018.jpg

21092008021.jpg

21092008025.jpg

21092008026.jpg

21092008030.jpg

21092008031.jpg

Is this the plate I should be looking at to get all the factory options etc? It is behind the drivers seat.

21092008029.jpg

Has anyone got a photo of the original Westy sink? I am sure the one I have isn't correct!

Matt

Hi

Nice project, looks like you doing the right thing, find out what you've got and then take it from there.

If your going to be welding I would waxoyl after (fire hazard).

The sink depends on year and conversion, the code plate for the conversion is usually on the heel board on the rear bed.

If you search on the samba through the galleries you should find some picture of your conversion (http://www.thesamba.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Recommend you get the bentley manual loads more info than haynes.

To register here you need an MOT, bill of sale and U.S. reg doc, if not sure phone your local DVLA office they will send you an information pack. When off to MOT station insure on the VIN number.

Would be good to see your progress.

Ian

Wow, I can't believe how much you've done already! Already fitted some slam tyres too!

So you look like you now have plans, keep us posted with info and pictures.

Gareth

Looks like it could turn out to be a really nice van.

I take it your not keeping her standard height as you mentioned slam tyres!!! What sort of drop are you looking at???

I do like seeing westy's empty, goes to show you just how much they cram into a small vehicle.

Look forward to seeing the progress pics

Andy

cyberdyne systems said:
First thing i'd do is wax underneath and in all the box sections, it wont take long in our weather to ruin what you have otherwise.

Is it on the road or do you need to MOT and register it?

Another thing i'd do also is remove that fuel filter, its not in a good place - VW never fitted one like that so just plumb it out, we don't want to see a van go up!

Gareth

I will wax oil when the rebuild nears an end, It's not on the road yet so....... :lol:

The motor will be removed and the top end rebuilt before being smartened up and slotted back in!

noddy said:
Hi

Nice project, looks like you doing the right thing, find out what you've got and then take it from there.

If your going to be welding I would waxoyl after (fire hazard).

The sink depends on year and conversion, the code plate for the conversion is usually on the heel board on the rear bed.

If you search on the samba through the galleries you should find some picture of your conversion (http://www.thesamba.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Recommend you get the bentley manual loads more info than haynes.

To register here you need an MOT, bill of sale and U.S. reg doc, if not sure phone your local DVLA office they will send you an information pack. When off to MOT station insure on the VIN number.

Would be good to see your progress.

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian, it's the first vehicle I have owned that comes from abroad so I will find it a bit strange at first!

The conversion is a genuine Westfalia, I will take a close look at the panel next time!

matt

oldschool71 said:
Looks like it could turn out to be a really nice van.

I take it your not keeping her standard height as you mentioned slam tyres!!! What sort of drop are you looking at???

I do like seeing westy's empty, goes to show you just how much they cram into a small vehicle.

Look forward to seeing the progress pics

Andy

I want to drop her only slightly to reduce the tippy toes look that standard height has.

Dropped spindles and a gently narrowed beam with adjusters to tweek! My 70 bug has a severely narrowed beam and scrapes the tarmac when the dropped spindles are fitted and the adjusters at full height!

The slam tyres are only a temp measure to get her in the lock up for welding...it still didn't fit on Sunday!!?? :oops: Idealy I want to stick to the standard look so whitewalls are an option!

She has to be user friendly coz we plan on spending time in France next summer....if I can find enough time and willing mates to help out!!

Matt

who? said:
Is this the plate I should be looking at to get all the factory options etc? It is behind the drivers seat.

21092008029.jpg

This is the M-Code plate that tells you original colours and specifications the van was ordered with. If you can post a clear picture there are plenty of guys on here who will translate it for you.

All I can make out from that is the build date, tho this is the bit I struggle to get my head round, Fri 26th June 1970 maybe? Someone will no doubt tell me I'm wrong tho :oops:

Been a while so I better update.....

The beam came out without a hitch. CSP adjusters have been tacked on and need final welding.

Once this is done we can get her in the lockup and start the panel work and braking system rebuild!

I have bought a JK headlight conversion, not sure on the quality yet! Also got an anti roll bar fitting kit and a new steering damper!

Will post pics when she in the dry :wink:

She is finally in the lockup! We finished the welding on the beam and painted it up...it went back in fairly easy! It was then dropped and still has an inch of drop left.

The back end was then dropped by two outer splines, this was all just to get her in the door! Aided by a floor mounted winch and a couple of extra hands she went in easily.....now the serious work can start!!

20112008142_rs.jpg

20112008134_rs.jpg

I dunno if she will stay this low as we wanna travel through france anp spain with some rough camping thrown in!

20112008139_rs.jpg

20112008143_rs.jpg

20112008144_rs.jpg

20112008145_rs.jpg

20112008151_rs.jpg

20112008152_rs.jpg

20112008153_rs.jpg

Finally got started with the angle grinder, looks like somebody has hit her in the side a some point - filler everywhere!

Just need to get some new panels now :roll:

131208036.jpg

131208037.jpg

131208039.jpg

131208042.jpg

Battery tray is umm...requires new!
The front steps are good on the outside but underneath and the back are in a bad way!
131208043.jpg

131208044.jpg

131208046.jpg

131208048.jpg

Great to see some progress on your van mate.

Looks like you have a few repairs to do there, do you have much welding experience?

I was wondering about the white bands, i'm after one 185/70 14, don't suppose...

Keep them pics coming, love watching.

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, This is my first full on resto of any kind, I have a bug that has been in need of a resto for the last 15years...then I bought this :lol:

I have a good mate that is a dab hand with the welding torch, He has just finished a 1959 Crewcab that is mint underneath and ratty on top. I am a sparky, so used to getting stuck into the unknown...hey ho :!:

I plan on keeping the whitewalls. To be honest they look better in these pics than they truly are! The bus had been stood in Florida for a few years before I got it and they are showing signs of age...

Thanks again for the encouragement :wink:

Blimey, its amazing what hides behind the paint work. :shock: Makes me worry about mine.

Looks like plenty to be getting on with, good luck with it.

Latest posts