No electrics.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
Trying to sort a problem on a mates late bay ('76 Riviera) and would appreciate any help/advice.
The tale I got was that it wouldn't turn over, just getting a click from starter solenoid. Battery is a 2 year old Bosch and fully charged. On my first turn of the key we got the solenoid click and nothing else, now we don't even get the click. Not only that, but despite having 12 volts into the fuse box, nothing else works. No interior light, no dash lights, no hazards, no nothing!
I have cleaned all the battery terminals and earth strap connections, had my heavy duty jump leads on from a vehicle with the engine running which made no difference whatsoever so am pretty sure the problem isn't at the battery end.
Have only had an hour round there so have not had chance to look too far, but am baffled as to why everything is dead when there is 12v into the fuse box. Could the ignition switch or hazard switch perhaps be the culprit?
Having just typed the above, have now been reminded that he did have a similar problem once before and in that instance it was simply a flat battery. Am now wondering if it could be a dodgy battery, may well swap it for a known good one just to be sure.
Any other ideas gratefully received.

Thanks, Pete.

pete mate ,cant be battery as you had jump leads and made no differance.I would clean main bat conection on starter first making sure terminals not corroded where they are crimped onto cables,next check feed into fuse box/ign switch with something that takes a lot of currant (not an eccles cake) like a headlamp bulb cos you can get volt but no amperage.after that its just chasing .do the headlamps ect work ,if so what happens when starter worked.also did you conect earth jump lead to engine or just connect jump lead from engine to bat as that will show up poor earth conection.

Having the same problems, but sometimes you turn the key and it fires up and runs fine, you can turn it on and off multiple times and it fires up, next time you try it (could be minutes/hours/days later) nothing at all, no dash lights, hazards headlamps not working, been told it is to do with main feed to the fuse box???
There is power going to the fuse box but voltage is low,(then the voltage change and goes up) any ideas on fixing this?

I can't understand how it fires up three or four times in a row then nothing, completely dead, can't use the bus at present in case it cuts out and I can't re-start it?
This is not on my early bus it's on a '74

Any help.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Crossover has been doing this and everything points to the ignition switch being on the way out. Got a new one from Mega Bug and one of Butty's Bits shims at Stonor so I can get the steering wheel off this weekend

mine did this, my prob was the positive connector to the battery was shot and it couldn't tighten adequately to the battery terminal and was a bit corroded.

I would stick a screw driver across the terminals on the starter motor and see if it turns over

If there is no lights as well as being unable to start engine, it sounds like it could be the power lead from starter to the fuse box via the light switch. Probably a loose connection at one end or the other.

if every thing is dead it could be as simple as a bulb. we were driving in convoy last year in france and I flash the guy in front - result was a total dead on everything. engine stopped, no dash lights, no indicators etc.

spent an hour trying to find the fault as there was power to all the normal places. finally took the light stalk off high beam and everything returned to normal. basically the high beam filament had blown and dropped across the low beam filament which caused the whole thing to short and stop.

MMMM changed the ignition switch and same problem. Going the cover the areas suggested above and then look at the starter

Latest posts