no engine, no fun!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngbay

Reaction score
am i the only one without a vw on the road?

i am going to start a lonely hearts thread for those of you without a vw in your life, or on the road.

who will join me in this world of misery without volkswagens? :cry:

i will join you Youngbay as i am still in my pursuit of a panel van i can see light at the end of the tunnel but this seems longer than the ones in the great escape :lol: :lol:

youngbay said:

i am going to start a lonely hearts thread for those of you without a vw in your life, or on the road.

Your not alone dude. My '68 resto is still ongoing. We are going for finishing by RTTS. The engine will be going in this weekend, weather permitting. I've been waiting a year for this bad boy to run...

engine_mk5.jpg

Sometimes I like to sit in the garage looking at it making brum, brum noises.:D

I'm hoping to get the mackerelbus back on the road in the next month or so.

But I have been saying that for about three years now

mamos

youngbay said:

Luke, you bought an engine ages ago - what's wrong with that, you've not blown a second engine up have you? Theres a fresh 1641 on JK/VZI at the moment for decent money.

speedwell68 said:
youngbay said:

Your not alone dude. My '68 resto is still ongoing. We are going for finishing by RTTS. The engine will be going in this weekend, weather permitting. I've been waiting a year for this bad boy to run...

engine_mk5.jpg

Sometimes I like to sit in the garage looking at it making brum, brum noises.:D

Fitted the flywheel last night and the crank locked solid, ace. Turns out that the case is worn where the main bearing sits, excessive play. When you torque it up it locks solid. So I have just ordered a new genuine case from Heritage. That is what I should have done a year ago when they were £120 cheaper. There is £345 I didn't want to spend.

thats a huge boo mate, have you checked inside yet to see if your crank bearing is okay?? fingers crossed its all okay :wink:

easy said:
thats a huge boo mate, have you checked inside yet to see if your crank bearing is okay?? fingers crossed its all okay :wink:

All the internals are brand spanking new the only old bit is the case. It is the first engine I've built I bought the case for £30 of ebay, thinking I'd save myself a fortune. At the time I didn't know how to measure these tolerances, I've since learnt. Oh well, you know the saying 'tits and Tyres':D. At least I'll have a brand new engine for RTTS.

Thats cool chap, well worth the new case and not just packing it out. Thats the trouble, if that bearing goes it messes the engine up and ruins the case along the way.

Glad to hear that the van will be rocking by RTTS 8)

TELL ME ABOUT IT :evil:

The same has happened to me . ive got all the new parts and am sending all the parts to be balanced tommorow then the rebulid can start :D

fed up at looking at a empty engine bay now :(

I hope that you have been cleaning it Mr Bruce !!! changing it in any way are yous?! 8)

Think i will keep the engine bay pastal white nice and simple but may do the odd thing in there not sure :D

Latest posts