NO MORE! - Tyres Rubbing the Arches

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimbope said:
@Zedbed - How funny! :eek: Didnt realise you were local! Think I may have found one of your business cards under the windscreen wiper in waitrose car park once.......
That would be the now ex wife. I asked her not to do that. :roll:

Really good thread. Has anyone had any issues with the load rating of the low profile front tyres? 175x55x15 miss the recommended tyre rating by quite some way, as do other suggested low profile tyres. Is this a big an issue, that some people make it out to be, or is it safe?

Currently have 175x55x15's on my bus and it has having dropped spindles and coilovers fitted tmrw. Having real trouble trying to work out what tyres to fit.

I've happliy run 175/55/15's on the front of my dropped spindle buses with no problems, so if you already have them and stick with them,

I treat it as something to be 'aware' of. If your running heavy and have a low load rating, keep checking your sidewall tempretures when stopped a traffic lights or simialr after a quick blast. Modify your tyre pressures to suit, ie, reducing sidewall flex.

I did this with my 175/50's and arrived at high 30's. I keep them at 40. I think the original guidelines in the owners manual ranged from 30-45psi depending on load... from memory???

Jim

29 front, 38-40 rear is about std I think
With pissy car tyres you need to blow the front up to max rating. Mine are 450kg at 40lbs which isn't enough really. At 30lbs it's like driving on marshmallows. I'll be looking for stronger tyres before I get too relaxed.

Hey all...

Thought Id wade into the thread and let you know what were running and problems suffering.

At the front I am running a Project01 narrowed (2") beam with adjusters set to their top height (i.e. stock height)

I have T2D dropped spindles with T2D Coil Over shocks (i had stock shocks on and it hit the tops of the arches constantly)

With the coil overs fitted, the ride is very comfortable (i dont find it bouncy at all) and best of all we dont ground out at all!

The rear has a 2 spline drop (i think!) and is running the original spring plates and original shocks (shocks are brand new)

the problem with the rear is we get a knocking sound where I am assuming the spring plate needs either notching or replacing. I am sure I read somewhere that if I swap the rear standard shocks with fronts I will stiffen up the rear enough to stop it banging. Is that right? It doesnt hit the tops of the arches at the rear.

The tyres are:
Front 175 x 65 R15
Rear 195 x 65 R15

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Nice van Mr I

Rear looks to be a one spline drop, so shouldnt bang, but changing the rear dampers should be the first step. :)

Thanks Clem for your reply.

Do the standard front shocks fit the rear? Are they stiffer so to speak?

I have a spare said of standard front shocks that came off when i replaced them with the coil overs.

Or should I get some new ones and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks for the 1 spline drop detail!

Mr I

Front shocks are shorter than rears so I doubt they will offer any better damping, if not make it worse. Even when you drop the back end by 3.5 " with horseshoe plates most people still run the standard rear shocks so I'm not sure its the dampers thats the issue.

Nice van Mr I. Love the colour. Are your wheels 5.5" wide? and What offset are they? Do the 195's clear the arches at the back? I was going to fit 175x55x15's on the front of mine, but 175x65x15's would be better. Do you get no knocking on top of the arch with that profile at all? Do you know what settings the coilovers are on?

Picking my van up today after having various bits or work done on it (as well as lowering with T2D drop spindles). Just need to get new wheels and tyres, which is what I can't make my mind up on !!

Cheers,

Simon

mi2itsdl said:
Nice van Mr I. Love the colour. Are your wheels 5.5" wide? and What offset are they? Do the 195's clear the arches at the back? I was going to fit 175x55x15's on the front of mine, but 175x65x15's would be better. Do you get no knocking on top of the arch with that profile at all? Do you know what settings the coilovers are on?

Picking my van up today after having various bits or work done on it (as well as lowering with T2D drop spindles). Just need to get new wheels and tyres, which is what I can't make my mind up on !!

Cheers,

Simon

Hi there - Colour is Porsche Tahoe Blue Metallic

Wheels are Heritage Chrome Fuchs which I think are 5.5 wide, not sure fo the offset but they have the 112PSD - The 195s fit very well in the arches, its a tight fit getting them in and on but after that alls good. There is no knocking on the arches at the rear at all, the knocking is coming from the reduced movement in the spring plate (i think!).

The coil overs are set at their first setting (sorry Im not that mechanical!) and it gives a great ride up front and more to the point no hitting the tops of the arches any more!

hope that helps!

Lovnig the paint Mr. Wish mine was as clean as that! :D

Had a quick blast to Southport and back last night, along the coast road. If anyone knows the coast road, you'll understand how bad the dips are from the unstable sand underneath...

Now i've got an annouying knocking from the front right damper! I hope it's just a loose bolt. I will investigate tonight... :evil:

Jim

Well not picking my van up now :x
Car was sitting to low at front, so Darren at vw airfix who is doing the work went to adjust a coilover up and it snapped. Not sure what part has snapped, whether it is just the part does the adjusting, but either way it is no good. I will now have to wait another few days for a new coilover to turn up. He is trying to get hold of 2td to sort it out. Not happy. What with my brake lines breaking, the fuel lines leaking and other issues, I have not seen my van for ages.

After mine was lowered with adj spring plates it would bang over speed humps etc which was down to the original shocks being too long - ie they wouldbottom out. Standard front shocks are a bit shorter and go on the back a treat = I think my hole centres on rear shock mounts as it sits on the drive were 380mm if that helps. The back is fine now. - No noise at all.

Just out of interest what settings do people run the coil overs on from a quality point of view rather than height? Not really too worried if it goes up a bit but would like to refine the ride a bit.

Cheers.

Mine was banging at the rear when I fitted horse shoe plates on the rear, fitted new standard shocks and every now and then on a harsh road still it would bang, turned out to be the horse shoe plate hitting the side of the bumpstop cup as I have cut down bump stops otherwise I only had 5mm clearance of travel probably due to the rear sagging over the years

Hi
Sorry to bring up an old post but I found this yesterday and thought id share...

http://www.kruizinwagon.com.au/view_articles.asp?pxa=ve&pxs=58&id=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dont know if its any good but this bit sounds interesting.......

Front End information

Because we have a torsion leaf front suspension, we are limited to what we can do to slow the spring rate down and limit the travel of the control arms. The lower the ride gets, the closer the body gets to the front tyres, as it's driven on normal roads. Sitting over the front wheels as we do in our forward control buses, we are shown no mercy as the lower control arms rides up to kiss the bump stop on the way down. So we've come up with torsion leaf stiffeners, that slide over the torsion leaves, one for each control arm, to slow or limit the twist in the torsion bar.