No Spark since changing fuel pump.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkypumpkin

Reaction score
Hope someone can help.

My mate has just changed my fuel pump & now the van won't start, engine turns over fine & fuel is getting into the carb but there seems to be no spark at the distributer cap, he checked the fuses & says he didn't touch anything electrical so can't understand it.

At one point (after it hadn't started) wisps of smoke were seen rising from the distributor cap.

Any ideas before I call the auto electrician?

Have you actually checked to make sure pump is delivering fuel?

sounds like a wire has come off the coil and may have been put back on the wrong side.

Start by posting a couple of pics first of the engine bay.....

wisps of smoke aint a good start pop off the cap and have a gander it should all look pretty pristine in there any signs of arcing wear dirt and grime do you have a spare plug to hand pull a ht and clip in the spare plug stick the threaded section to a good eathed lump of metal and get someone to crank the motor any signs of it sparking....or you could stick your pinky up there and do the same it may make you jump and shout a bit.....

cheak leads to coil from dist ,may have come off ,or lead on condenser may have got broken and is disy cap on proprly .methodical check over will find it ,dont panic ;)

Araon said:
Start by posting a couple of pics first of the engine bay.....

DSC_0149.jpg

(Picture before new fuel pump)

And you didnt have probs running with this set up :?

A recent image is prefferable though the old is rather interesting, why was the fuel pump changed?

Only recently got it but had no Probs with this setup (except the pump started leaking out of a small hole). Not sure if it was charging the battery to well.

Definatley sounds like a wire has been knocked of or put back on incorrectly.

Is there a spark at the points still?

vwtype2 said:
Definatley sounds like a wire has been knocked of or put back on incorrectly.

Is there a spark at the points still?

I agree, just check everything step by step. The dizzy was'nt removed for whatever reason while changing the pump?
If so the timing may be way out

The dizzy has been off, I'll try & check out all the sugestions on my next day off (Thu) & I'll get back to you.

Thanks for all the help.

Richard.

Don't know if you'll find any points in there, to me it looks like there are the wires from a pertronix kit next to the dizzy? If you do have a pertronix in there they are very sensitive to being connected up incorrectly. If it was just the cap of you'll be OK but the red and black wires must never be reversed.

Arran

That would certainly explain the wisp of smoke :shock: ....

you may also want to seriously think about re-routing the fuel pipe and filter location and give your pump a fair chance.....

I have to agree with Araon about you fuel line, with that loop above the fuel filter you could end up with an air lock. Try to route the fule line so its up hill all the way to the pump.

other things to check are the terminals on the coil make sure one has not been knocked off, make sure the dizzy is at the right place set it at TDC to make sure (line up timing marks on pully to case, make sure its about to fire on No1 cylinder, line up the rotor arm centre line with dizzy body timing mark) will give you a rough idea, are you sure you have the right push rod with for the pump.

dave

Another thing to do which is quite easy, is to give a quick spray of carb cleaner or even WD40 down into the carb and then try and start her up. If there is a spark there, she will fire up for a moment (until all of the liquid is burnt). If she fires up you know you have a spark.
Arran

is it me or is the fuel tank cover plate missing? Personally i wouldn't run any vehicle like that especially an air cooled one

Its a 68 no firewall fitted.....

the upper portion of the engine bay is cool zone so in theory a well maintained bay and theres no issues

Aparently it's the distributor, just need to decide on a Bosch or a repro. A Bosch one is £100 from JK where as a repro is less than £40.

I'll sort the fuel line etc when I fit the Distributor.

Araon is correct Oct 67 so no firewall, got me worried now, maybe I should of gone for that group buy on an automatic extinguisher?

Richard.

Latest posts