non starter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobie

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Devon
been running my bus as daily just lately after all the snow has gone , its been great , only this morning stated it reversed and it cut out , tried to start it again and nothing happened battery has loads of charge all light on dash come on it just won t fire up , :?: so had to leave it in the middle of the drive and weave round it with my daily to get to work(late :evil: )

any ideas

nope just turn the key and nothing happens check battery and that is fully charged

it started first turn then after id reversed and straightened up it died

:oops: why didn t i think of that , bugger , might nip home on my lunch break and give it a go :roll:

:oops: where is the starter motor this is my first air cooled and i still not up to speed with the engine :oops:

Stick your head under the rear right wheel, you can't miss it, you'll see the wires coming from/to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the two starter mounting bolts /nut are tight, if one becomes loose then the starter can engage at an angle stopping the solenoid from engaging, (its happened to me :evil: )

If the dash lights are on its most likely one of two things:

1) Sticky starter soleloid:

Looking underneath the offside rear corner of the van, look above the gearbox and you'll see the starter motor, with a small hammer give the smaller cylinder that sits on top of the motor a couple of taps

2) Starter motor won't disengage:

Sometimes the starter will get itself stuck, to free it off put the van in 3rd gear, get out the van and rock it back and forth. It's better to push on the back rather than the weak front panel.

3/ Does the engine turn by hand? I had the same when my engine seized. Don't panic - it's less likely than the other problems.

Had the same sounding problem as you a couple of months ago. Went through the processes as the guys mentioned above and got it sorted.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine bumped started and ran fine, but would not start on the key. Turned out to be a faulty ignition which didn't tell the starter (only six months old!) to disengaged which cooked it.
Now got a new starter and push button start.

Good luck!

ZedBed said:
4) Ignition switch electrical problem.

You don't get dash lights when the ignition switch has died. Been there, done that in my beetle when my coil slipped down and shorted out.

Edit: just read this!

mister said:
Had the same sounding problem as you a couple of months ago. Went through the processes as the guys mentioned above and got it sorted.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37319" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine bumped started and ran fine, but would not start on the key. Turned out to be a faulty ignition which didn't tell the starter (only six months old!) to disengaged which cooked it.
Now got a new starter and push button start.

Good luck!

Ahh haven't heard of that happening before! Wasn't there any noticable noise from the starter when the engine was running?

Ig switch is two position, you can often get the first going (ig on) but not make the starter contact.

Latest posts