Novice Begins Engine Maintenance & Twin Carb Fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An extending magnetic stick thing is a wonderful thing to have, too! Bolting the manifolds down correctly will be a bastard, and cant be scrimped on as its a vital part of the job. Get that done and its plain sailing - balancing and syncronisation can be done when fitted and the van is mobile so prioritise your thoughts on those manifolds for now. As I recall two can be fitted with a slim socket but the rears need a well fitting spanner .... itll be tough in situ. Do some yoga and keep flexible ;)

Good luck and keep going :)

Clem said:
An extending magnetic stick thing is a wonderful thing to have, too! Bolting the manifolds down correctly will be a bastard, and cant be scrimped on as its a vital part of the job. Get that done and its plain sailing - balancing and syncronisation can be done when fitted and the van is mobile so prioritise your thoughts on those manifolds for now. As I recall two can be fitted with a slim socket but the rears need a well fitting spanner .... itll be tough in situ. Do some yoga and keep flexible ;)

Good luck and keep going :)

Thanks Clem, I've come this far I'm not giving up now. I can see the light! :shock: Its annoying when I can see it all together & know what needs doing, it's just a pig to get to it.. Onwards and upwards!
Apparently these will help :D

a4f6be70.jpg

They're on boys! Tight as a ducks bottom as well! ;) Those bolts are a god send.. I did get paranoid about sparky asking about the spark plugs a bit though. I found the spark plugs from 2,3 & 4 were very black & sooty (dry), number 1 was black & wet?
I've replaced them & standing by for the impending doom? :mrgreen:

Sparky asked you about the spark plugs because you'll find you have to take the carbs/manifolds off to change them. :lol:

Didn't you know that Sarah? Thought you'd done your homework. :lol:

Fear not, changing sparkplugs is an over-rated occupation. You'll be good for 30-50,000 miles on a set of plugs - people just change them because they're cheap.

ZedBed said:

Fear not, changing sparkplugs is an over-rated occupation. You'll be good for 30-50,000 miles on a set of plugs - people just change them because they're cheap.

I did mean to, got lost in all the other malarky! :oops:

Well that's good to know :D Is the blackness I found ok then Zed? I've read about richness & piston rings leaking, choke and worn out engines. Tbh, dunt really matter what you tell me anyway. I'll still run it as is. :lol: Would be interested to know though. ;)

Merlydog said:
ZedBed said:

I did mean to, got lost in all the other malarky! :oops:

Well that's good to know :D Is the blackness I found ok then Zed? I've read about richness & piston rings leaking, choke and worn out engines. Tbh, dunt really matter what you tell me anyway. I'll still run it as is. :lol: Would be interested to know though. ;)
Unless you just stopped after a good run, spark plug colour is meaningless - doubly so as you're changing the carbs anyway. :lol:

C'mon - I'm waiting for the u-tube vid of the induction roar. :?

well if you just moved it a bit when it was cold the choke would be on still and if not your old carb had 130 main jet and 80 air so may have been too rich with vac dizzy.

Ok, that's the spark plugs settled then.. Insignificant...

Vacuum advance or 009 on 36mm Dells?

Merlydog said:
Ok, that's the spark plugs settled then.. Insignificant...

Vacuum advance or 009 on 36mm Dells?

Im voting Vacuum.

One vote for vacuum.. Is it the small pipe coming out of the left Han side carb the vacuum pipe fits to? :oops: I know, I should know but I don't..

Anyway, they're in!!! Finished it tonight.. Just need to replace everything else.. Then I turn the key... :shock: :?

62e4f75d.jpg

sparkywig said:
Balance pipe fitted?
Vacuum ports on carbs blocked off if you're not using them?

Balance pipe? Yep, I have the block off's ready to go ;) I just needed to be back for dinner tonight! Otherwise I may have been single again! :lol:

Dell DRLA 36s don't need a balance pipe. ;) Relax ...

Clem said:
Dell DRLA 36s don't need a balance pipe. ;) Relax ...
:lol: I'm sure wiggy's winding me up Clem! :lol: All that's left to do is piece everything else together tonight now.. Any tips for first starting?

Double, no, treble check all the fuel connections are good and tight. Couple of pumps on the gas, then go for it ....
It'll need a good few revs before it will, hopefully, settle. They warm up quite fast.

Cane it home and enjoy your tea!

Clem said:
Double, no, treble check all the fuel connections are good and tight. Couple of pumps on the gas, then go for it ....
It'll need a good few revs before it will, hopefully, settle. They warm up quite fast.

Cane it home and enjoy your tea!

I'm out today buying some better clips for the 8mm fuel hose I've used! Gotta get them right.. I can't wait to turn the key! I will laugh my head off if it starts.. :lol: I've taken my time though & done the best I can.. I've learnt a lot about my engine if nothing else.. And done most of the donkey work for when I have it fine tuned..

Standby for the video link.. :?

If it works I'll certainly be caning it home.. With a very big smile on me face :mrgreen:

Latest posts