Novice Begins Engine Maintenance & Twin Carb Fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merlydog

Reaction score
So as some of you will know I recently dropped the engine out of my van with the watchful eye of MEB's Dave.. All went surprisingly well and the new crankseal is holding well we replaced so far!!
Having had the support and chance to get down & dirty *cough* :lol: It's spurred me on to start doing a few bits myself. Well that and the fact that the garage bills are just getting silly! :roll:
So I've started this thread in the hope that you engine guru's will follow me in my clumsiness and findings and be able to offer advice on the way.
The main reason is to fit the 36mm twin dellorto's, but already I'm findin stuff on the way that I know needs attention. So long as I can get the Dell's functioning I'm happy to get it to the rolling road afterwards. All that tuning lark is for the experts. But you never know, I might get them running well yet ;) Worth a shot and keeps me busy..

So, this afternoon I started with this..

2bda9fe5.jpg

Mainly because I want to fit these

aae6270d.jpg

And ended up here :? :shock:

5826cad7.jpg

Questions:

Should the fan shroud be secure.. I found mine was lifting up without any problems, or does it just slide on?

The oil filler neck wasit started pissing out mayonnaise from
a rubber bung that had split underneath! Is this normal?

How frikken hard is it to get the dynamo off???! :x Need to replace it with one I've refurbed, so that came off!

When I was battling with the dynamo the belt was slipping, is this normal?

I found, two broken spark plug casings, I'm not sure how much relevance that will have on the running but I'll replace them anyway.

Is it possible to get the tinware off the top of the heads without dropping the engine? Just could do with a tidy up that's all. No biggy if not.

What size fuel pipe do you need for the twin carbs pls. There's such a selection 6,7,8,10mm??

I'm sorry if this is all simple stuff but it's new to me & pretty much everything I've learnt is from this forum! Really grateful for your help guru's ;) :mrgreen:

you wont get the head shrouds off easy in situ,screws down back you wont get at.bolts in end of fan housing to head shrouds should stop it lifting.you have wrong oil filler /breather ,might be better to get after market one with screw on cap with the new carbs,fuel pipes prob,8mm on carbs but 6mm on fuel pump :roll: so need adaptor.will tell you how to set carbs when you pick up bar :msn4:

67panel said:
you wont get the head shrouds off easy in situ,screws down back you wont get at.bolts in end of fan housing to head shrouds should stop it lifting.you have wrong oil filler /breather ,might be better to get after market one with screw on cap with the new carbs,fuel pipes prob,8mm on carbs but 6mm on fuel pump :roll: so need adaptor.will tell you how to set carbs when you pick up bar :msn4:

Roger.. I'm on it Dave.. With regard to the hex bar do you have these per chance?
4771fa96.jpg

They slot in either end of the cb performance hex bar. The empi ones have an adjustable nut so you should be able to tell which one it is from that I think?

No stopping you now mate. :shock:

I see the oil breather into the air filter has been sorted ready - that's a bonus.
You might find you have to bend the tinware a bit to fit the inlet manifolds. And maybe the sides of the fan-housing - so don't put the dynamo back on until you've checked this.

sparkywig said:
Sarah, there's a 10mm headed bolt either side of the fan shroud where it meets the engine tin to fix it down.

Nice one tku wigwam.. I see now where the bolt should be.. ;)

sparkywig said:
Don't fix it down until you've re-fitted the dynamo/alternator though. :)

I'm using a breather box connected into the top of the air filters.

003-23.jpg

Oh yea thats snazzy! Mine has a hole drilled into one of the air filters and an angled pipe coming out. Will that suffice? Also, is that an anti pulse valve fitted between your fuel pump & tee piece?

Ok coolio, think I'll try mine as is, then start adding gadgets like pressure regulators and anti pulse valves if need be.. Blokey who sold them me assured me they ran perfect on his motor when he took the engine out to put a Porsche engine in! They really are spotless and were a Billy bargain.. So fingers crossed. ;)

Oh and one more question wiggy :mrgreen: Does all the og stuff from the dynamo fitment fit the alternator or will I need a new mounting plate etc??

If you're converting to an alternator you'll need a backplate, fixing strap and top pulley.
Best to get a kit from one of the many suppliers as they come with all the bits as well along with the alternator.

Sparkywig

What setting are you running your regulator at?

My set up loks exactly the same & running mine at 2.5, I think?

Cheers

Nige..........

if you have the 38amp?(high output)dynamo then all the og bits fit.the kits are shit.thin tin badly pressed and top pulley poor quality.(in my experiance)try carbs on stock pump first,my itcs are ok with out reg.

Merlydog said:
sparkywig said:
Sarah, there's a 10mm headed bolt either side of the fan shroud where it meets the engine tin to fix it down.

There should also be a metal strap that goes round the alternator and the stand to help secure it.

Westy Richardson said:
Merlydog said:
sparkywig said:

There should also be a metal strap that goes round the alternator and the stand to help secure it.

I wondered what that was for :oops: Thank you..

Youll need an alternator stand/pedastal as well. :)

Latest posts