Novice Begins Engine Maintenance & Twin Carb Fitting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IT STARTS and RUNS!!! Wooohoo!! :D Needs lots of tweaking though, I'll send a video link :mrgreen:

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab224/Merlydog/a60f74c7.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Few bits to do..

Secure the coil
Tighten fan belt
Shorten the right hand side linkage
Get it tuned

I'm really surprised it fired up though.. It's not running that bad either considering I've not touched anything yet..
Chuffed to bits.
Especially as I've never done anything like it before.
Thank you boys! Bring on the test drive!!

I couldn't work out why the right hand set of linkage kept sticking open..

Then I found this..

cdb924a2.jpg

The spindle lever is bent totally out of shape. To the point that it's started to crack at the mounting point. It's bent back (with an Ozzie hammer) quite easily, but I'm ordering a replacement anyway.
The actual linkage rod was mis shaped as well. I think it may have happened in transit from the US.
Does anyone know anywhere other than dellorto.com and cb performance that do these replacement parts?

I`m totally impressed cuz ! :mrgreen: And don`t forget, when it comes to fine tuning these puppies :shock: , just give me a ring if you need a bigger hamster !! I don`t let everyone know,,,, but,,, I got some gert biggunns ! :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Starting to get a bit of a reputation round here :shock: :lol: :shock:

Well with a straight spindle lever & tightened linkage it's revving great! Starts on the first turn and sounds SWEEEEET!! I'm so chuffed. Just needs a fine tune on a rolling road & check over by someone more qualified than me then I'm trucking...
I've never done anything like this before, but if I can do it, anyone can! Trust me! :mrgreen:

ZedBed said:
So, have you driven it yet or just whoomphed it on the drive?

Yes I drove it at the weekend all the way to Stratford & back.. Few very minor niggles.. The tickover doesn't quite return to idle unless I give it a little blip. Note major but has anyone got any ingenious ideas? I have a very very, almost un noticeable flat spot. It's just as I open the throttle on pick up. It's easy to power through it. I'm thinking I might just leave it, more unqualified tinkering might just make it worse?!

Merlydog said:
ZedBed said:
So, have you driven it yet or just whoomphed it on the drive?

Yes I drove it at the weekend all the way to Stratford & back.. Few very minor niggles.. The tickover doesn't quite return to idle unless I give it a little blip. Note major but has anyone got any ingenious ideas? I have a very very, almost un noticeable flat spot. It's just as I open the throttle on pick up. It's easy to power through it. I'm thinking I might just leave it, more unqualified tinkering might just make it worse?!

I think you got it Cuz :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Jug juggler extrodinaire :mrgreen:

Merlydog said:
So as some of you will know I recently dropped the engine out of my van with the watchful eye of MEB's Dave.. All went surprisingly well and the new crankseal is holding well we replaced so far!!
Having had the support and chance to get down & dirty *cough* :lol: It's spurred me on to start doing a few bits myself. Well that and the fact that the garage bills are just getting silly! :roll:
So I've started this thread in the hope that you engine guru's will follow me in my clumsiness and findings and be able to offer advice on the way.
The main reason is to fit the 36mm twin dellorto's, but already I'm findin stuff on the way that I know needs attention. So long as I can get the Dell's functioning I'm happy to get it to the rolling road afterwards. All that tuning lark is for the experts. But you never know, I might get them running well yet ;) Worth a shot and keeps me busy..

So, this afternoon I started with this..

2bda9fe5.jpg

Mainly because I want to fit these

aae6270d.jpg

And ended up here :? :shock:

5826cad7.jpg

Questions:

Should the fan shroud be secure.. I found mine was lifting up without any problems, or does it just slide on?

The oil filler neck wasit started pissing out mayonnaise from
a rubber bung that had split underneath! Is this normal?

How frikken hard is it to get the dynamo off???! :x Need to replace it with one I've refurbed, so that came off!

When I was battling with the dynamo the belt was slipping, is this normal?

I found, two broken spark plug casings, I'm not sure how much relevance that will have on the running but I'll replace them anyway.

Is it possible to get the tinware off the top of the heads without dropping the engine? Just could do with a tidy up that's all. No biggy if not.

What size fuel pipe do you need for the twin carbs pls. There's such a selection 6,7,8,10mm??

I'm sorry if this is all simple stuff but it's new to me & pretty much everything I've learnt is from this forum! Really grateful for your help guru's ;) :mrgreen:

I'm in that hole again boys!!!

I recently replaced the oil pump gasket as it was almost certainly shot and what I thought throwing oil into the bottom of the tinware below the pulley.
After my trip to the Xmas meet on Sunday I found oil.. Again.. In the bottom of the tinware at the front and thrown up onto most of the rest of the engine. Gutted!!
I've stripped it all back this morning and just cant seem to find the bloody source!
My first thought was the front pulley seal but that looks dry. Then the inner oil pump gasket. Again, when I pulled the cover plate off seemed dry. The oil cooler perhaps? Obviously I can't tell without pulling the engine for sure but I've taken the dynamo off for a clean and it's all dry behind there..
Is it time for an engine out new gasket set perhaps? Here's a few photos see what you think.
It's a shame because the engine runs so sweet, quiet as a mouse and pulls like a train! If it wasn't for it covering the engine bay and ancillaries id leave it. Uses about a quarter of the dipstick per 300 miles which is a fair bit?!
Here's a few photos. They don't show the amount o oil very well I'm afraid. It's pooling in the bottom of the pulley tinware and at either side near the dipstick and oil sensor.
962c98cd.jpg

a9939921.jpg

ce637e5e.jpg

6f50b349.jpg

ebcc303f.jpg

dip stick sealing?also check case bolts,was the oil around starter just gear box seal?did you take the oil pump out of the crankcase when you did gasket or was it just front cover one that was renewed,could still be leak where pump fits in case,seen that before :msn4: more than once.

67panel said:
dip stick sealing?also check case bolts,was the oil around starter just gear box seal?did you take the oil pump out of the crankcase when you did gasket or was it just front cover one that was renewed,could still be leak where pump fits in case,seen that before :msn4: more than once.

Could be I guess.. I'll have a good look tomorrow. Bloody freezing at the moment though! I haven't bothered looking at the starter motor yet Dave. Nowt on the floor so assuming its ok. Gearbox seals are defo leaking though. That's a summer job!
I've got me oil pump puller coming tomorrow on recommendation from the gadget boy so we shall see tomorrow. Can't be much else though?!

Latest posts