oil breather

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch71bay

Reaction score
at risk of sounding completely stupid!
I've fitted an alternator conversion kit, the new oil filler has a black plastic cap on what i presume is the breather? should this cap be on? if i take it off will oil spit out of the nipple?
sorry if i'm been dim!!

You need a filter or a pipe to the oil bath air filter or you will get oil in your engine bay. If you dont remove it and you dont have breathers on your rocker covers you will find it will leak oil from the rocker covers. Well mine did.

J.

I don't have an oil bath air filter fitted or breathers on my rocker covers either...
See pics ......

1D263384-255B-493C-BE81-70BE09423E78-18997-0000122DE7A543BB_zpsd262f1d3.jpg

54AE4B2D-0E10-415A-9E69-707978092A60-18997-0000122E04862B2E_zpscb518284.jpg

Just a quick word of advice, bin the crappy pancake filter and get either a stock oil bath, or a later paper element filter housing. Then you can vent the oil breather into the air filter.
Contrary to popular opinion, you don't ever need to vent the rocker covers. This is only a solution for over-pressurisation of the crankcase caused by other issues.

To be honest I'd bin the new oil filler and fit a stock oil filler/breather as well. I had one fitted and it just filled up with oil condensates because it doesn't breathe well, and when you fill up the oil it runs into the breather pipe....

so as it is at the minute what should i do with black cap in the meantime whilst sourcing new parts? or do i need to put a pipe of it? if yes where too?
before doing the conversion i never had a pipe going anywhere?

nice looking engine bay!!
as you can see from my engine originally as it was when i bought the van it didnt have anything!! i didnt drive it for very long, 300 miles ish before carrying out my resto on it, but it never leaked any oil!! slightly confused lol!

haha getting the bloody thing back on the road is first priority! then it will be a complete interior before finally addressing the lack of power etc in the engine bay!

Sparkywig is blunt but right :lol: no need to vent rocker covers unless you drag race turning some serious rpm and it will run SO much nicer with an OG air cleaner.

sparkywig said:
If you ran it for longer, and especially on motorway trips, your engine bay would've be coated in a very fine layer of oil mist.
If you want a bit more bad news, bin the Monza 4 tip as well. ;)

He's right, first thing that went in the bin off mine was the monza 4 tip, they're terrible.

sparkywig said:
The breather pipe on the oil filler should connect to the air filter. That's one of the problems with a pancake filter.
Or fit a breather box.

Hi Sparkywig,

How do you get on with the breather? Any condensation problems, oil leaks?

I have one somewhere, but no fittings for the airfilters etc, any ideas where you get those and the pipes from please? :msn4:

Another job to do......

aogrady said:
Hi Sparkywig,

How do you get on with the breather? Any condensation problems, oil leaks?

I have one somewhere, but no fittings for the airfilters etc, any ideas where you get those and the pipes from please? :msn4:

Another job to do......

It's fine, no condensation issues or oil leaks.
The air filter connections are available here, and the pipes are just standard oil resistant to suit the stub diameters.

Latest posts