Oil Change - type and quantity

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareneforster

Reaction score
Hi, after always having had the garage do them I've decided to do my first oil change next week - but, what oil do I need and how much do I need to buy? My user manual is suggesting SAE 30 which is apparently now used as lawnmower oil so I'm not sure that's right! I've got a 1970 T2 Bay with 1600 engine.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

ive got the same as you a 1970 , 1600
i used what the manual said and that was sae 30
most people sell it its morris oils
best thing though is wait till gsf do a 35% of deal which is about every 2 weeks
and get it sent to your door for about £12

i ordered 2 at that price

Sae30 is 70s oil technology......you could use a 15/40 mineral oil

I use a mineral 20/50 in my 1600. I think halfords do a classic car one which is on offer every now and again.

To be honest it's more important just go make sure you do the regular changes.

You'll need about 2.5L and font forget the gasket kit too which are a couple of quid.

5w/30 semi synthetic or synthetic. There's a thread on the samba somewhere which explains why 5w/30 is the right grade.. Most thicker oils increase oil pressure and therefore reduce flow through the oil cooler, thus higher oil temperatures.

Old manuals are old - they can't update themselves.

VW changed their recommendations in the 1970's in line with developments in oil technology.

Shell 15w40 mineral oil. I usually stock up when Euro Car parts do offers online...£16.99 for 5ltrs, last week. Quantum 15w40 is supposed to be good also.