oil filter install

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidecargezzer

Reaction score
been doing a little looking around on what it takes to do, I was planning on using the stock oil pump, is this an issue on a stock 1600 bus? Planning on using these parts

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Full-Flow-Oil-Return-Adapter-1971-Dual-Relief-p/3059.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-Full-Flow-Filter-Kit-1968-71-Type-2-p/full-flow-kit-t2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any hazzards I should be aware of, pulling the motor out to fix a main seal and cooler leak, so this seems the time to do it.

Ginger's VW said:
Why is it you are looking to install out of interest?

I live in the desert, a good part of the year it is over 100 and I travel a lot. A little more oil might help with heat and I can travel 3000+ miles to a race, so I would have to change the oil a little less often

sparkywig said:
Fitting an oil filter doesn't mean you can change the oil less often, it just filters the oil better.
What kills the oil is the heat generated by an air-cooled engine.

thank you
I am changing over to syn oil once I get a few miles on the motor, it holds up better to the heat. Racing old air cooled motorcycles has given me some insite to the break down of oil and heat, although the vdub provides a new realm.
But let me ask, what do you think is a good milage mark to change, even with a filter? The more I read around the net that varies a great deal as does the use of syn oils/dino oils/castor oils........soe times there is toooooooooooo much information.

I prefer the conventional way of doing full flow which retains the stock oil pressure limiter valve.

In addition that fitting in the bottom of the case looks vulnerable and if it hits something chances are the case will be turned in to scrap. Hence I would not use this set up.

Latest posts