oil leaking from behind pulley, crank

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz70bay

Reaction score
hi guys can anyone tell me, I done an oil change cleaned out filter, oil cooler and the 2 screws on the bottom of engine and put Castrol gtx in since this oil is coming out from behind the pulley, on the front of the crank. the engine doesn't breathe heavy and not noticed oil leaking before, its literally spaying around the engine bay.

How much oil did you put in ?? Have you checked it on your dipstick ?? Not a fan of gtx but that`s another can of worms :shock: There is a venturi behind that pulley that is supposed to suck in a little air to pressurise the crankcase. If you had way too much oil in there, I`m guessing it could spray around the engine bay but not sure how.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

You say that you had the 2 oil pressure release valves out . Did you put them back the correct way ? The flat head of the valve goes into the case and the spring sits inverted bottom. Easy to make mistake as you would think spring sits on flat of valve.
Robert
:?: :idea: :)

yeah put them back in the correct way, all I can think is that the breather is blocked. but it seemed to be fine before I done the oil change.

yes recheck you breather ,is it the one with a tube that goes down through the rear tin or flex hose to air fillter and also an original one as pattern ones have to small hole in them.

Don't want to scare you, but if you do a compression test you can rule out piston ring blow-by :)

just gone back to check, its part synthetic oil I put in thinking that's the best. should I change it?

Using a slightly different oil will not cause leaks round the fan belt pulley. Nor will any changes to the pressurised lubrication system.

If the problem started without any changes being made to the engine then there will only be three possible causes.

There's too much oil in the engine.

The breather pipe is not working and crankcase pressure is forcing the oil out.

There is excessive piston blow by and the breather system can't cope.

If on the other hand the engine has had work done or the pulley changed then there can be other causes.

Latest posts