Oil light

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valentine Won

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have had this before,after coming home from work today coming off the motorway I came to a stop and the oil light came on when you you increase the revs it goes out and stays out when travelling along
Any ideas? Shaun

Mine did this with my old engine when the oil was very hot. Do you know how hot your oil was?

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

Yep happened every day I have driven the bus on long journeys for the last 3 years
Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about

Pic taken from the VW Manual even mentions it

20.jpg

Although it could be described as normal once upon a time, it is a sign that the oil has thinned too much - back in the day there weren't other options with oil choices and the recommended grade was more prone to degrading / becoming too thin when hot or old. Obviously the risk here is a lack of proper lubrication at any revs, as it has more of a tendency to 'run off' components rather than coat them.

It may be worthwhile moving to a more modern equivalent that should withstand the heat better, and see if you get a similar scenario. Alternatively it could be that your engine isn't cooling effectively, or even something as simple as your idle speed is set too low.

rlepecha said:
Mine did this with my old engine when the oil was very hot. Do you know how hot your oil was?

I have a temperature sensor in where the dipstick would normally go and that was fine not coming on at all

Moseley said:
Although it could be described as normal once upon a time, it is a sign that the oil has thinned too much - back in the day there weren't other options with oil choices and the recommended grade was more prone to degrading / becoming too thin when hot or old. Obviously the risk here is a lack of proper lubrication at any revs, as it has more of a tendency to 'run off' components rather than coat them.

It may be worthwhile moving to a more modern equivalent that should withstand the heat better, and see if you get a similar scenario. Alternatively it could be that your engine isn't cooling effectively, or even something as simple as your idle speed is set too low.

I have been using this oil since owning the bus
500-dscf5011.jpg

Without wanting to start an oil thread have I been going wrong somewhere?

StuF said:
Moseley said:

I have been using this oil since owning the bus
500-dscf5011.jpg

Without wanting to start an oil thread have I been going wrong somewhere?

The majority consensus nowadays is that there are modern oils that are superior to the original VW spec SAE30. Nothing fancy, but a multi-grade mineral oil is designed to maintain a certain viscosity at both low and high temperatures, and my understanding is that it'll be more stable than the older style SAE oils. Might be worth doing a bit of reading into the subject!

Put in some 15/40 or 20/50 and see if it fixes it.

Check the old oil to make sure it doesn't smell of petrol - if it does then you need to check the fuel pump.

Aslo some of the aftermarket oil pressure sensors were too sensitive and used to come on sometimes at tickover when hot.

(This can be checked by temporarily using a manual gauge.)

If one of the rocker covers was not on tight would that result in a low pressure and then making the light flicker?

Valentine Won said:
If one of the rocker covers was not on tight would that result in a low pressure and then making the light flicker?

If they were loose all your oil would be on the road rather than in your engine - I found this out after fitting some poor quality repro ones that didnt seal correctly

Trikky2 said:
Put in some 15/40 or 20/50 and see if it fixes it.

Check the old oil to make sure it doesn't smell of petrol - if it does then you need to check the fuel pump.

Aslo some of the aftermarket oil pressure sensors were too sensitive and used to come on sometimes at tickover when hot.

(This can be checked by temporarily using a manual gauge.)
Funny enough for the last 2 years have been using 20/50 and had no problems and then put the morris in about 2 weeks ago!!!

rlepecha said:

It wasn't hot enough to set my heat sensor off which makes me think it's not to do with temperature but something else! Would filling with to much oil set the light off?

Valentine Won said:
rlepecha said:

It wasn't hot enough to set my heat sensor off which makes me think it's not to do with temperature but something else! Would filling with to much oil set the light off?

No. It might cause leaks or excessive oil consumption but it won't make your pressure warning light come on.

Don't foget that the ambient air temperature is pretty warm at the moment too so it's all extra heat/ reduced cooling. If it goes out with a few revs and the levels are good, then it should be no major cause for concern.

If you're getting ready for a refresh it might be worth considering some thicker stuff but I wouldn't worry unduly. My old Maxi used to do it from time to time too. At one time you could buy oil thickeners for this scenario but I think oil technology has moved on a but with multi grades etc!

Latest posts