OIL ON CLUTCH - WHAT ADVISE CAN YOU GIVE ME PLEASE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sproggy4830

Reaction score
HELLO ALL
This is my first post having spent many an hour browsing whilst i should have been working

i have a t2 baywindow camper , my girls wanted it to go camping in , i got it in october 2011 but it has been sat on drive since then waiting for decent weather to do some work on it .
i noted that there was oil leaking on the driveway and as the girls are to be driving the van mainly i wanted it to be right so i thought , take out the engine , have a god look around , see if anything needs doing , and locate where the leak may be from , once the engine was out i saw a pool of oily liquid in the bell housing , also once the clutch pressure plate was removed it was clear that oil has been getting onto the clutch plate .
so my question for advise please , what is my best course of action , parts to replace ? and any other advise you may wish to offer
i am fairly handy at the mechanics and have a half decent workshop and tools
many thanks in anticipation

P1030227.jpg

P1030228.jpg

P1030270.jpg

P1030271.jpg

P1030272.jpg

First off, sniff the oil to see if it's engine or gearbox, though from the witness splodges it looks to be the flywheel oil seal. So you need a new oil seal, an o-ring the tucks into the inside of the flywheel and I'd go for a complete clutch kit. The flywheel is reasonably difficult to get off, but you'll soon find that out. :lol: Do a search on here - it's a really common problem. :)

thanks for the advise , i now understand where oil is coming from and having looked further on forum found a few other jobs i need to do while engine is out , i reckon will take gearbox out and do some painting to the underside of the van to tidy up and protect it a little

i have taken the heads of and i am a bit concerned about one pot , it seems t have a groove in the bottom of one cylinder and it looks as though it has been blowing as the head has black soot/burn markes in the same location ? the head bolts were very loose so it may be just a loose head , but the groove in the cylinder is somewhat concerning .
i wil go take some pics and post them soon

HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OF THE BARREL I AM CONCERNED ABOUT
any opinions as to weather it is still serviceable will be greatly appreciated
i suspect the very sooty head is due to the engine being started first time for 4 months than just used to reverse van onto ramps , ?
the piston at bottom is after it has been cleaned with a brassbrush
if the barrel is no good is it possible to replace just the one barrel , and perhaps the piston ???
also can anyone tell me from the marks on the piston, are they genuine pistons or replacement (cheap quality ) ?

P1030301.jpg
P1030319.jpg
P1030315.jpg
P1030320.jpg

The marks on the cylinder barrel are from a pool of water causing deep rusting. Yes you can and should replace just that cylinder with a s/h one of the right size. You may also get away with using your existing piston but I would try to get one that matches the replacement cylinder. You will need to remove both cylinders to make sure you replace the paper gaskets beneath them with th esame thickness.

The loose head is a little more worrying - check carefully that your head studs are secure. I torque them to 30 ft lbs to check. You may find that one or two pull straight out of the case. Not a disaster - just drill the pulled threads out and tap for a case saver insert.

Replace the exhaust valves while you have the heads off and carefully lap them in. They pay for themselves many times over by the fuel you save.

Oh yes - if you haven't already got it, buy Tom Wilson's engine book from Amazon.

Thank you bay tripper for the advise , how does water get into the cylinder?

i will be looking for a second hand cylinder but i havant seen one for sale to my knowledge on ebay or anywhere else , to that matter
re the loose heads , i have found many loose nuts and bolts on the van since i got it , engine mounts , cv joints ,, i think it was rebuilt in a hurry , I'm hoping the heads will be ok and seal , and the the problem was just a loose head .

i have seen Mahle piston and head sets for £150 delivered (cast pistons), i am thinking for that money perhaps i would be better with a clean start of four new barrels and pistons, a good investment? , (obviously not knowing what a single second hand one would cost plus i wouldn't know what to look for exactly )

i have cleaned the head with a brass brush , i then pooled petrol in the head and it hasn't leaked out , (my idea of a way to check if the valves are seated and sealed , maybe not a good idea but seems logical to me)so i wasn't going to disturb them unless people think i would be best to grind them in ?

i have the tom wilson book and i am on nights tonight so i will be giving it a good read tonight .
thanks all
brian

Latest posts