Oil temperature

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My VDO oil temp gauge is connected to a VDO sender in the sump
Reads accurately to within a degree as have tested it with boiling water

Since replacing the oil cooler and tightening the tin ware up my engine (a stock) 1600 runs at 90degrees on a cruise and upto 100 when climbing long hills - before changing the oil cooler it was hitting 100 and 110 respectively

However without getting hung up on temps it is more important to know what is normal for your bus/engine and monitor that for any adverse changes

Cheers guys, think I'll get the gas stove out and boil some water right next to the bus with the sender in, try and get a definite reading on the gauge and go from there.

I fitted the bigger type4 cooler to mine (as thats all i had available :oops: ) when my original cooler sprang a leak. It needed some mods to the doghouse on the back of the fanhousing but it reduced the temperature by 10 degrees in normal driving and climbing hills on the motorway.

Just read thread ..... I remember Volksworld ran a test of temp guages and senders a few years back - just checked - its in the Feb 2011 edition. In terms of accuracy VDO came out poorly - The "Stack" guage/sender came out tops with spot on accuracy.
Of course it depends on what you are willing to pay. The Stack guage is about £100. VDO's about half that price.
Of course the outside air temp will also affect temp reading (As I know from driving in Spain) I found it easier (faster) to drive distances at night in the cooler air.

Mine (dipstick type) reads 107-110C doing 50mph on motorways.... When it's hot or if there are hills, it goes up to 115. Stock doublie port 1600 engine... Seems higher then most I came accross on the forum

Latest posts